Small gray font is hard to read...

Read about the latest happenings of our site!

Small gray font is hard to read...

Postby Gnobility » 02/03/06 at 21:16:10

...can you add a few other template options?

tanks,

Gn
Gnobility

Re: Small gray font is hard to read...

Postby Forum Admin » 02/03/06 at 21:57:28

Gnobility wrote:...can you add a few other template options?

tanks,

Gn

I complained about the small gray font this morming and Tashinaa changed it. I wonder what happened? Are you running the default template?

intercst
Forum Admin

Postby tashina » 02/03/06 at 22:35:25

The font was still gray on the window where you see the board descriptions and also the "last 10 posts" window. I just changed them to black too.

There are only a few templates made so far that I can see for yaBB2. They are just ones that people made for their own sites, so they have to be changed around to work here. I was going to give it a try when I get a moment.

Intercst, I am just bumbling around here when I make changes. If there's anything you don't like that I do, let me know and I'll change it back. I have the text file saved for the default CSS just in case I really screw it up.  :-?
tashina
***** God Member

Postby BigMoneyJim » 02/03/06 at 23:06:14

Yeah, this gray-on-gray is a drag. Try to find a template that has blue-on-navy or yellow-on-goldenrod.

An annoying thing about templates is if you decide to add links (like FireCalc, REHP web) or images (REHP logo) on one template you 'need' to go through and add them on every template.
BigMoneyJim
***** God Member

Postby tashina » 02/04/06 at 00:28:24

That's funny, BMJ. I think of this template as blue-on-blue. I was thinking gray would be nice. Have to think on it some. It's easy enough to change the basic colors. That's a CSS change, not a real template change. I could probably set up a few basic color combinations.

If anyone sees anything out there in good colors in any software, let me know. I can steal colors from them.

That's probably the easiest way to start. Just make a few different color choices without changing anything else.
tashina
***** God Member

Postby sgeeeee » 02/04/06 at 00:40:49

I have to tell you . . . I'm color blind.  So if it's anything but black, white, or gray it's wasted on me.   :-/
-sgeeeee
sgeeeee
***** God Member

Postby Gnobility » 02/04/06 at 10:32:11

Forum Admin wrote:
Gnobility wrote:...can you add a few other template options?

tanks,

Gn

I complained about the small gray font this morming and Tashinaa changed it. I wonder what happened? Are you running the default template?

intercst

Now I'm seeing gray Sub-Forum headings with black sub-forum descriptions, and black text in the body of messages. Thanks for changing that!

Apparently the BB software is fixed-font (maybe a #6?), but I guess I can muster the energy to lean forward. I think a lot of this software must be written by 25 year olds!

Gn
Gnobility

Postby tashina » 02/04/06 at 13:02:41

A day or so ago, I changed the font for the main message body from 11 to 12 at intercst's request. I can make it bigger very easily. It's up to intercst. My monitor is 1600x1200 so everything looks small to me and I'm used to it. I'll leave it up to everyone else to figure out how big they want the font.
tashina
***** God Member

Postby BigMoneyJim » 02/04/06 at 14:02:07

I don't know why they used pixel size in the first place. Websites shouldnt' do that IMO because it can override the user's browser font size. You can use the following values: xx-small | x-small | small | medium | large | x-large | xx-large

You can also use % or em. (em is a width measurment: the width of an "M" in the current font size, which if it hasn't been defined is defined by the browser default.)

IMHO you should use either no font-size declaration in "body" or "font-size: medium;" or "font-size: 1em;". Those settings will respect the user's browser settings; so if they have bad eyes and set their fonts bigger then the forum will also be bigger for them. When needing fonts to be smaller or larger than the body font use, for example, "font-size: 1.2em;" "font-size:large;" or "font-size: 120%;" for those elements.

Good grief, this css sheet specifies pixel sizes of 11, 12, 13 and 14 in the first page or two. Does one pixel make that big an impression? :roll:

A couple of references:

http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/fonts.htm ... size-props
http://webdesign.about.com/cs/typemeasu ... 42803a.htm

The about.com article says to use px if control of display is most important, but for what freakin' website is control of display more important than end-user readability?

Straying off-topic: when I want to make sure a particular column is wide enough to accomodate the text I put into it I use a a column width in "em". If my longest phrase is 25 characters then 25em oughta do it but even 20em might because M is the widest letter. MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM. But the more common tactic seems to be to constrain the font and column by pixels. But some people are browsing at 800x600 because they want big text, others have a 1280x768 widescreen LCD and some have 1600x1200 super-monitors. Specifying pixel values for font and block elements is extremely short-sighted in my opinion. I still use pixels for images because the image rescaling algorithm on pretty much all browsers sucks big time, but sooner or later relative sizing for images will make sense, too.
BigMoneyJim
***** God Member

Postby BigMoneyJim » 02/04/06 at 14:08:59

IE4, IE5 and IE6 for Windows have a bad habit of respecting the pixel sizes of fonts even when the user goes to view->Text Size->Largest on the menu...the font size stays the same! With relative size values the Text Size option in IE will work properly. Try it here and at e-r-org to see the difference.
BigMoneyJim
***** God Member

Postby tashina » 02/04/06 at 14:58:20

Good info, BMJ. I'm new to all this so it'll take me a little while to figure it all out.

I made a new template2 that is easier to see colors and I made the font one pt bigger for every element. (This was before I read your info on text).  I'll make a new post for those not reading this one anymore, which is probably almost everyone. :)

So anyone who is having trouble with this template just go into your profile and try out template2. template3 is not anything yet, so ignore it.

The only two elements I haven't figured out how to change in the CSS are the gray lines between boards on the main page. I would think they would be called separators, but I guess not since the separators are black and the lines I'm trying to change are still gray. I also can't figure out which entry is for the blue that says Retire Early Home Page at the top - that ma actually be a template setting and I haven't actually looked at the template code at all yet.
tashina
***** God Member

Return to News