MONEY mag: Interested in being interviewed?

Read about the latest happenings of our site!

MONEY mag: Interested in being interviewed?

Postby magazinewriter » 01/24/07 at 16:33:34

Hello,

I am doing background research for an article about retiring before the age of 60 that will run in MONEY magazine. I am
looking for candidates to interview who have already retired early or who are actively pursuing early retirement. To be included in the article, we'll need the candidates to agree to financial disclosure (such as net worth, how their money is invested and their financial plans for retirement). They will also be photographed in the magazine. If these parameters are acceptable to you and you're interested in being interviewed, please email me at magazinewriter@yahoo.com. My deadline is Jan. 29. Thank you!

Here are more specifics of who we're looking for:

a) Someone who retired early about a decade ago. What lessons have they learned? Any unexpected challenges they've faced?

b) Someone (approximately in their 50s) who is just about to retire or has recently done it. They should have a true plan for how they will afford this, which can include taking a post-retirement job or pursing an avocation. We'd want to know financial details like how they'll handle health insurance and whether they are tapping their retirement plans right away.

c) Someone (in their 40s or 50s) who is on track to retire early in five to 10 years. They should have already saved a significant amount of money toward retirement. They should be able to share details about their plans-financial and otherwise.

d) Someone who was forced into early retirement and turned corporate downsizing into a fulfilling and prosperous retirement or second career. This would be someone who had to take a package at their corporate job, but they were smart about it: they invested the payout well or they made sure the company continued their health benefits. ?

I look forward to hearing from those who are interested. Thank you!

Dana Hudepohl
Freelance Writer
magazinewriter@yahoo.com
magazinewriter
* Newbies

Re: MONEY mag: Interested in being interviewed?

Postby nfs » 01/28/07 at 15:36:49

I think you're going to have a hard time finding anyone.  You're going to get mostly attention seekers unless you can promise anonymity.  The truth is that most early retirees haven't packed it in because they have a fat pension.  Most have saved a relatively enormous sum of money.

Having yourself profiled in Money, with your real name and approximate location on display, is an invitation to leeches the world over.  It takes a rare person to buy that trouble.
All in all you're just another brick in the wall. - Roger Waters
nfs
***** God Member

Postby intercst » 01/28/07 at 16:13:53

ned f seagoon wrote:I think you're going to have a hard time finding anyone. ?You're going to get mostly attention seekers unless you can promise anonymity. ?The truth is that most early retirees haven't packed it in because they have a fat pension. ?Most have saved a relatively enormous sum of money.

Having yourself profiled in Money, with your real name and approximate location on display, is an invitation to leeches the world over. ?It takes a rare person to buy that trouble.

I wonder if hocus is aware of this opportunity? It would be a great place to promote his book and "New Tool" -- and it would bring Hocomania to a larger audience.

intercst
Some people are leaders, some are followers, and a few don't want to join the parade.
intercst
***** God Member

Postby tashina » 01/28/07 at 19:24:32

Yep, intercst. Hocus would love this.

Dana, Rob Bennett is an attention seeker. He will likely contact you. Read the Hocomania board here before you consider him!
tashina
***** God Member

Postby arrete » 01/28/07 at 19:27:37

Well, it would certainly be another test of whether or not the press actually vet their articles.   You can bet if they made hocus a big star I would never read or recommend their publication again.  Plus every financial board I know of would make fun of them.

arrete
Quando omni flunkus moritati.
arrete
***** God Member

Postby nfs » 01/28/07 at 20:23:08

98.6% of this discussion forum is teasing one guy who retired early with not nearly enough in the way of assets. His self-reported net worth at retirement was about 90th percentile among all US residents and it was not close to enough. He is a demonstrable early retirement failure.

I doubt Dana is looking for the likes of Rob Bennett, although it would certainly be interesting to get a detailed view of the finances he's keen to allude to and yet reluctant to detail. Is he a trustafarian? Is he a welfare case? Is he on SS disability? Is he making ends meet as a midnight shift fry cook? It would be great to know something more about him than "Look at me, look at me, look at me!" That is unfortunately this forum's voyeurism.

But I digress. Dana wants an early retirement success for her article. If someone in the 90th percentile of net worth is a failure due to lack of assets, then she needs someone worth more than that. At least a million bucks is in order, probably something more like at least a million investable. Some readers here have that, some might be wishing for it, but very few in either category would be interested in having their names, faces, cities, and finances splashed across a national financial publication. I suppose it wouldn't matter if you had billions and could hire security to keep the golddiggers away but that's not exactly the exemplar that Dana is seeking either.

Say you have a million or two million or even ten million dollars and you retired early. You wouldn't put your name and net worth in Money magazine unless you were insane. Second cousins would crawl out of the woodwork. Your friends would expect you to pick up every restaurant check. Every stockbroker and realtor and Lexus salesman in the country will call you. Hundreds, perhaps thousands, of letters and emails would come from Nigeria. Your children and grandchildren would be targets for kidnappers.

No sane person would volunteer for this.
All in all you're just another brick in the wall. - Roger Waters
nfs
***** God Member

Postby DRiP_Guy » 01/28/07 at 23:56:43

I agree.

So, I wonder when Robert "Hocus" Bennett will be contacting them...?

:lol:
Robert Michael "Hocus" Bennett, October 22, 2010: "I have been living off my savings for 10 years"
DRiP_Guy
***** God Member

Return to News