July 28 blog: Buzz Updates

Rob Bennett moderates this Early Retirement Board
Abusive posting will not be tolerated.

Moderator: Founder of Hocomania

July 28 blog: Buzz Updates

Postby Schroeder » 07/28/08 at 19:38:45

Rob and JWR are exchanging love notes in the comments secion. This paragraph caught my eye . . .

**LINK**
I of course do not mean to suggest that there is a majority at any of the boards that is in entire agreement with the Rational Investing approach. That is obviously not the case. But I see that as an opportunity, not a problem. The reality is that these ideas have not been much discussed in recent decades. So there is a great opportunity for a Learning Together experience.

You must not be looking very hard, Rob. I suspect there are as many discussion boards that talk about non-Passive Investing approaches as there are discussion boards that do talk about Passive Investing approaches. Why don't you seek out the discussion boards that talk about non-Passive Investing approaches? I'm sure they would be much more open to your ideas.

Don't you see that trying to talk about non-Passive Investing approaches in places that prefer Passive Investing approaches would not work out very well? How would feel if a devout atheist walked into your church one Sunday morning and insisted that the parishiners shouldn't hold their religous beliefs? Maybe the atheist even says that his non-beliefs are the Rational way to go. Do you think that is going to be very persuasive?

Think about it.

Schroeder
Proud Member of the Financial Freedom Community!
Schroeder
***** God Member

Re: July 28 blog: Buzz Updates

Postby DRiP_Guy » 07/28/08 at 21:15:37

Gonna answer Rob?

Something tells me this is the post (link) that caused you to claim over on the Plop II comments today that every board admin is aligned in a conspiracy against you; to hide your otherwise perfectly deserving ideas, that would topple the existing financial thinking of the experts and average investors alike.

Rob, get a grip and just consider for a second:

What do you think the probability is of that, Rob, in this day, and in this country, and given this medium (the Internet)?

Do you really think any good idea could be stymied if it stood up to scientific and factual scrutiny?

You aren't bein' oppressed, Rob -- you 'aven't got a womb!!!!!! ? :lol:

http://www.s152957355.onlinehome.us/cgi ... 0179/43#43
Robert Michael "Hocus" Bennett, October 22, 2010: "I have been living off my savings for 10 years"
DRiP_Guy
***** God Member

Postby hocus2009 » 07/29/08 at 06:49:48

Don't you see that trying to talk about non-Passive Investing approaches in places that prefer Passive Investing approaches would not work out very well?

It's not places that prefer Passive Investing over Rational Investing, Schroeder. It's times.

Passive Investing always becomes popular when prices are wildly out of control. That's when large numbers permit their emotion to dominate their reason. Surprise! Surprise!

I post at Retire Early boards and at Indexing boards. Aspiring early retirees need to know about Rational Investing strategies. That's why we have seen such a positive response to these ideas at every Retire Early board at which they have been discussed. Indexers too need to know about Rational Investing strategies. That's why we have seen such a positive response to these ideas at every Indexing board at which they have been discussed.

Are there large numbers of Passive Investors at these boards? There are. Does the discussion of Rational Investing strategies cause the tummies of some of the Passive Investors to hurt? It does.

You know what? That's the price of being taken in by Passive Investing. How much do you think their tummies are going to hurt when it is not some fellow on the internet pointing out the investing realities to them but the bottom-line numbers on their portfolio statements? Words that appear on a computer screen are the least thing that those with an intense emotional attachment to the Passive Investing concept need to worry about.

In any event, each of these individuals promised to follow the rules that govern posting at the boards at which they post. Those communityzzz members seeking to engage in civil and reasoned discussion of the most important issues before their communities have every right to first ask and then ultimately to demand that those who fail to honor the promises they made in exchange for being given the ability to post be removed from the board community when they evidence contempt for the vast majority electing to follow the community norms.

Rob
If you cherish lying and ruining internet communities as much as I do, please support me by buying many copies of my vanity book. Your children will love budget sex and your purchase is tax deductible (Schedule A: casualty loss).

Luvya Boo! Please come back. I'm on TV now! A big star. Just like you wanted.
hocus2009
***** God Member

Postby Schroeder » 07/29/08 at 09:14:40

hocus2009 wrote:Aspiring early retirees need to know about Rational Investing strategies. That's why we have seen such a positive response to these ideas at every Retire Early board at which they have been discussed. Indexers too need to know about Rational Investing strategies. That's why we have seen such a positive response to these ideas at every Indexing board at which they have been discussed.

Yeah.. right. :o And I suppose a devout atheist preaching his non-belief will receive such a positive response at your church and every church he goes to. Give me a break. :o

In case you don't remember, Rob, there were dozens of Vanguard Diehards at the Morningstar message board who either threatened to put you on ignore or actually did put you on ignore. And you call that a "positive response". Sheesh!

Schroeder
Schroeder
***** God Member

Postby hocus2009 » 07/29/08 at 10:23:46

And I suppose a devout atheist preaching his non-belief will receive such a positive response at your church and every church he goes to. Give me a break. ?

Emotionally healthy investors do not turn investing into an intensely dogmatic religion.

People seeking to retire early naturally want to know what the historical data says about safe withdrawal rates. That's why we have seen such interest in our discussions of the past six years.

In case you don't remember, Rob, there were dozens of Vanguard Diehards at the Morningstar message board who either threatened to put you on ignore or actually did put you on ignore.

How many of those do you suppose were followers of some form of Passive Investing?

And you call that a "positive response". Sheesh!

I of course did not. Why is it that you feel a need to engage in deceptionzzz in the vast majority of your posts here, Schroeder? Do you feel that your religious beliefs are being questiioned?

Rob
If you cherish lying and ruining internet communities as much as I do, please support me by buying many copies of my vanity book. Your children will love budget sex and your purchase is tax deductible (Schedule A: casualty loss).

hocus2009
***** God Member

Postby Schroeder » 07/29/08 at 10:46:46

hocus2009 wrote:In case you don't remember, Rob, there were dozens of Vanguard Diehards at the Morningstar message board who either threatened to put you on ignore or actually did put you on ignore.

How many of those do you suppose were followers of some form of Passive Investing?

You really need me to answer that for you? Like you don't have a clue?

Rob, I don't know why this concept is so hard for you to understand. The indexing boards are not interested in your valuation informed indexing ideas. Do you know why? Because they prefer to follow Passive Investing.

Like I said, you will find a much more receptive audience for your VII ideas at non-Passive Investing discussion boards. Why don't you find a board like that where the C0mmunity Members primarily follow non-Passive Investing approaches?

Schroeder
Schroeder
***** God Member

Postby DRiP_Guy » 07/29/08 at 11:01:29

hocus2009 wrote:It's not places that prefer Passive Investing over Rational Investing, Schroeder. It's times.

Passive Investing always becomes popular when prices are wildly out of control. That's when large numbers permit their emotion to dominate their reason. Surprise! Surprise!

How many such iterations from good methods to evil Passive Investing have there been, Rob? Can you please provide some evidence of this oscillatory behavior (besides your own verbal claim -- i.e.e a book, an article, a link to a website or database.... something.)

:roll:
Robert Michael "Hocus" Bennett, October 22, 2010: "I have been living off my savings for 10 years"
DRiP_Guy
***** God Member

Postby DRiP_Guy » 07/29/08 at 11:06:58

hocus2009 wrote:
Are there large numbers of Passive Investors at these boards? There are. Does the discussion of Rational Investing strategies cause the tummies of some of the Passive Investors to hurt? It does.

You know what? That's the price of being taken in by Passive Investing.

Rob

Rob, this is the problem. You wanting to impose yourself, your ill-formed ideas and your invasive nature into places who do not want it and should not have to put up with it.

Good luck working that out. I will tell you that Cookie Thorton and Jim David Adkisson did not win in their own similar Jihads.
DRiP_Guy
***** God Member

Postby DRiP_Guy » 07/29/08 at 11:11:16

hocus2009 wrote:
That's why we have seen such interest in our discussions of the past six years.

Rob

Then how come the only two participants by and large at the very hub of the movement, your own website, are you and JWR giving each other a reach around?

How come JWR's place is a ghost town with only dust bunnies and "Letters to the Editor" from you as grist for his own gap-toothed broken down mill?

Answer THAT truthfully, Rob, and you might be getting somewhere.
DRiP_Guy
***** God Member

Postby hocus2009 » 07/29/08 at 12:05:23

The indexing boards are not interested in your valuation informed indexing ideas. Do you know why? Because they prefer to follow Passive Investing.

Who speaks for the indexing boards, Schroeder?

You? Drip Guy? John Greaney? Mel Lindauer? M*Darrin?

You know who I think speaks for the indexing boards?

The community of people who built the indexing boards.

There was a thread at the Vanguard Diehards board in which people were asked to name their favorite posters. Two names near the top of the list were Microlepsis and JohnDCraig. There has never been any poster in the history of that board who generated as many questions with his stuff as I did. That tells me that there are a whole big bunch of people in that community who are interested in knowing how stocks work in the real world.

Those people are my friends. If they're interested, that's good enough for me.

The indexing boards don't need you speaking on our behalf,. Schroeder. We're capable of speaking for ourselves just fine.

Rob

hocus2009
***** God Member

Postby hocus2009 » 07/29/08 at 12:08:59

Why don't you find a board like that where the C0mmunity Members primarily follow non-Passive Investing approaches?

Why don't you and the other "defenders" of Lindauer and Greaney find one where the rules of the board permit deception, intimidation and word games?

Who are you to tell the people who built these boards that we must leave them because you support two highly abusive posters who have expressed a desire to destroy them?

Don't let the door hit your backside on the way out, Schroeder.

Imagine -- maybe you are not the center of the universe!

Rob

hocus2009
***** God Member

Postby DRiP_Guy » 07/29/08 at 12:15:25

hocus2009 wrote:
There was a thread at the Vanguard Diehards board in which people were asked to name their favorite posters. Two names near the top of the list were Microlepsis and JohnDCraig.

Those people are my friends. If they're interested, that's good enough for me.

Rob

Then how come they are not hanging out and posting at Maison De Krazy at:

http://arichlife.passionsaving.com/
DRiP_Guy
***** God Member

Postby Yipee-Ki-O » 07/29/08 at 12:16:12

I post at Retire Early boards and at Indexing boards. Aspiring early retirees need to know about Rational Investing strategies. That's why we have seen such a positive response to these ideas at every Retire Early board at which they have been discussed.

No, you post here in the HocoPlaypen, your Plop II and the plop of your trolling sweetheart, JWR. All the serious personal finance boards have banned you because your posting is not designed to add content to any discussions of personal finance topics, but rather to feed Rob's ego by making hime the center of attention. Your claim of a "positive response" to your ideas is just more hoco deception. As DRiP Guy points out, were there any great clamor to hear about your market timing scheme, then you'd see more action on the TrollingBros plops. While you can still practice your beloved hobby of making up new definitions for existing words (rational investing, passive investing, etc), you can no longer interrupt conversations at serious boards with your hocomania. But do continue to blather away about your delusions, the wider audience has no interest in you or your ideas but there remains a small band of Merry Goons who find hocomania somewhat amusing! :lol:
Work is the refuge of those who have nothing better to do, Oscar Wilde
Yipee-Ki-O
***** God Member

Postby DRiP_Guy » 07/29/08 at 12:19:01

hocus2009 wrote:Why don't you find a board like that where the C0mmunity Members primarily follow non-Passive Investing approaches?

Why don't you and the other "defenders" of Lindauer and Greaney find one where the rules of the board permit deception, intimidation and word games?

Who are you to tell the people who built these boards that we must leave them because you support two highly abusive posters who have expressed a desire to destroy them?

Rob

Hocus, You own a Blog. You pay an ISP. So hopefully, you have some idea how it works: The Golden Rule: He who has the gold, makes the rules.

There is Free Speech on Planet Inarwebz, but not Free Camping. If you wanna talk, make your own spot, like you did. Otherwise, you get the environment the proprietor at the board wants. How hard is this to understand? You have been banned 15 times, because 15 times the board's owner/operators decide to eject you as detritus; antithetical to their purposes.

That is their right, their privilege, and their obligation. They owe no obligation or allegiance to you, nor to any imaginary Kommuniteeeezzzz that you have cooked up in your mind's eye.

Is this getting through at all?

My suggestion?  Try Myspace.   :lol:
DRiP_Guy
***** God Member

Postby Schroeder » 07/29/08 at 12:31:00

hocus2009 wrote:Why don't you find a board like that where the C0mmunity Members primarily follow non-Passive Investing approaches?

Rob

Tut, tut, Rob. Such an emotional response from you!

Has Boo been feeding you grumpy pills this morning? :lol:
Who am I having this conversation with, Rob? Am I not having this conversation with YOU? I am not having this conversation with all these unseen people you imagine that "built these boards". Nor am I telling anyone to leave. I don't know where you get such kooky ideas that I'm telling people to leave.

Now then. Shall we get back to calm conversation?

You want to discuss non-Passive Investing. Aren't there message boards where the participants primarily follow non-Passive Investing strategies?

Schroeder
Schroeder
***** God Member

Next

Return to Honest and Informed Early Retirement Board