More guest blogging

Rob Bennett is paying for vanity-published books and articles in various newspapers and magazines. Here we will discuss these attempts to gain glory in the public eye.

More guest blogging

Postby DRiP_Guy » 10/18/08 at 14:13:44

Rob tries his hand at another area -- one where his expertise to speak with authority?is about on a par with his investing advice, and just as logical and useful, too. ? :oops:
Saturday, October 18, 2008
Sex Is Overrated (Or So My Wife Often Observes)
by Rob Bennett

Sex is overrated because:

of the efforts of people trying to sell us stuff
it... causes you to spend on the wrong sorts of stuff
it?s something we all have in common in a world in which we feel increasingly isolated
the negatives are often overlooked
it draws attention away from life activities of more enduring satisfaction
it draws attention away from simple stuff to which we should be paying more attention
it always ends badly
the urge is too darn insistent
it too often contains a self-destructive component
it is forgettable
songs about it are better than the real thing

...Rationalization will get you everywhere in Hoco-World.

http://tipsonwealthcreation.blogspot.co ... often.html

:o
Robert Michael "Hocus" Bennett, October 22, 2010: "I have been living off my savings for 10 years"
DRiP_Guy
***** God Member

Re: More guest blogging

Postby DRiP_Guy » 10/18/08 at 14:16:23

?Saving your first $100,000 is hard,? Bennett writes. ?But the second $100,000 comes easier.?

http://www.patrickfamily.org.uk/2008/10 ... lowly.html
Robert Michael "Hocus" Bennett, October 22, 2010: "I have been living off my savings for 10 years"
DRiP_Guy
***** God Member

Postby DRiP_Guy » 10/18/08 at 14:23:31

[snips]

It was a struggle to not put down the book and dismiss the ideas after the author described how he decided not to participate in his company?s 401(K) plan.

Though I wholly disagree with Rob?s actions (His basic rationale was that 20 year old Rob needed the money a lot more than 62 your old Rob would. ?Time will tell, I suppose.) ?I thought I?d give him the benefit of the doubt.

Reading on, I almost had to stop again when I reached the chapter about the true price of a good cup of coffee...the example has been beaten to death.

Despite this idea seeming to fit in with the Passion Saving philosophy, the author nonetheless railed against the daily coffee adding confusion to the message he was trying to convey.

My major disagreement with Passion Saving was the idea that the pay yourself first or save 10% of your income methods generally don?t work. ?A major flaw of the author?s analysis dismissing the ?save 10% of your income? rule of thumb is that savings were assumed to continue at that percentage rate.

Rob?s question of whether you knew anyone who saves more than they pay themselves first made me laugh. ?He doesn?t know anyone who saves more. ?Maybe his trouble saving earlier in life was due to surrounding himself with the wrong kind of people.

Passion Saving seems to advise that you can never have enough. To quote the book directly, ?There is no point at which I will have enough money, or you will have enough money, or anyone will have enough money. ?We will all always want more.?

As stated earlier, Passion Saving seemed to be contradictory...

The self proclaimed bumper sticker summary of Passion Saving, ?Save the Way You Spend? goes to the main reason I had a hard time connecting with this book. ?I hardly spend any money, so should I also hardly save any? ?While I seem to have many common goals as the author, we seem to have different methods and motivations to achieve those goals.

Whether or not to recommend reading Passion Saving is somewhat influenced by the availability of the book itself. ?Without widespread distribution, your local library will almost certainly not carry it. ?Getting a great deal on Amazon, or any deal for that matter, is also not possible. ?Paying full price is not something I would generally advise for any book. ?In my opinion, there are better and much more cost effective books on the subject of saving and early retirement. ?

I will be giving away my copy of Passion Saving to one of my readers.

You should understand that I may own shares or have a similar financial interest in the companies whose products and services are discussed on this blog.

Another paid review, Rob?
http://www.richerbytheday.com/2008/10/p ... eview.html
DRiP_Guy
***** God Member

Postby intercst » 11/15/08 at 11:54:47

My, what a thoughtful, evenhanded review from a guy who obviously felt he'd wasted his time plowing through Bennett's malarkey.

intercst
Some people are leaders, some are followers, and a few don't want to join the parade.
intercst
***** God Member

Return to Rob Bennett Book and Media Discussion