Norm Goldman posts comments on the hoco-blog

Rob Bennett is paying for vanity-published books and articles in various newspapers and magazines. Here we will discuss these attempts to gain glory in the public eye.

Norm Goldman posts comments on the hoco-blog

Postby Schroeder » 02/23/07 at 13:25:53

**LINK**
I don't understand how Mr. Bennett can come to the conclusion that I fail to see the merit in writing a book on how to save. I also fail to understand the various conclusions he has made pertaining to what I believe or think. What I am saying is that what Mr. Bennett is writing about is not something new, although it may have been a new discovery for Mr. Bennett.
Norm Goldman | 02.22.07 - 10:15 pm | #

---------------------------------------------------------
Thanks much for providing your input, Norm.

I hope you will pay return visits to the site.

Rob

Rob Bennett | Homepage | 02.23.07 - 8:42 am | #

Is this a gag (i.e. someone impersonating Norm Goldman)? And why would Norm respond to hocus after over a month has elapsed? (**LINK**)

Either way, it shows that Norm takes issue with what hocus thinks of Norm's book review.

Schroeder
Proud Member of the Financial Freedom Community!
Schroeder
***** God Member

Re: Norm Goldman posts comments on the hoco-blog

Postby DRiP_Guy » 02/23/07 at 15:02:02

Schroeder wrote:**LINK**
I don't understand how Mr. Bennett can come to the conclusion that I fail to see the merit in writing a book on how to save. I also fail to understand the various conclusions he has made pertaining to what I believe or think. What I am saying is that what Mr. Bennett is writing about is not something new, although it may have been a new discovery for Mr. Bennett.
Norm Goldman | 02.22.07 - 10:15 pm | #

---------------------------------------------------------
Thanks much for providing your input, Norm.

I hope you will pay return visits to the site.

Rob

Rob Bennett | Homepage | 02.23.07 - 8:42 am | #

Is this a gag (i.e. someone impersonating Norm Goldman)? And why would Norm respond to hocus after over a month has elapsed? (**LINK**)

Either way, it shows that Norm takes issue with what hocus thinks of Norm's book review.

Schroeder

After seeing the last few days of Hocomania and similar: astronauts on cross country murder missions in diapers, Britney chop her hair and rehab revolution x3 , Anna nod herself out with pills, the judge who was a taxidriver... I would say that a quite plausible scenario is that the entry is Rob trolling himself as if he were Norm.

"Strange things are afoot down at the Circle-K
"
Robert Michael "Hocus" Bennett, October 22, 2010: "I have been living off my savings for 10 years"
DRiP_Guy
***** God Member

Postby Orion. » 02/23/07 at 20:34:13

Schroeder wrote:Is this a gag (i.e. someone impersonating Norm Goldman)? And why would Norm respond to hocus after over a month has elapsed? (**LINK**)

Schroeder

Norm also just posted a new comment on his review at Amazon, so I think it's really him. I'd be cheesed off if I were him too. When you write a review for $99 you expect the author to keep the payment secret and also not attack your 4 star review and claim that you have dulled abilities. ?But then, poor Norm probably never did business with a guy like hocus before...
Seriously, hocus, I don't know if you're really insane or you just believe that acting that way is a good way to get attention.

My closest friends say that it appears to them that's a little bit of both.. -- hocus 2007.
Orion.
***** God Member

Postby DRiP_Guy » 02/23/07 at 21:08:33

orion wrote: When you write a review for $99 you expect the author to keep the payment secret and also not attack your 4 star review and claim that you have dulled abilities.  But then, poor Norm probably never did business with a guy like hocus before...

Man, whatever happened to good old loyalty in the payola scam sham industry? It's getting to where you can't trust a guy to just pay up and keep their yapper shut anymore, eh?
Robert Michael "Hocus" Bennett, October 22, 2010: "I have been living off my savings for 10 years"
DRiP_Guy
***** God Member

Postby syke-- » 02/23/07 at 21:53:30

orion wrote:Norm also just posted a new comment on his review at Amazon, so I think it's really him. I'd be cheesed off if I were him too. When you write a review for $99 you expect the author to keep the payment secret and also not attack your 4 star review and claim that you have dulled abilities.  But then, poor Norm probably never did business with a guy like hocus before...

Hocus never heard the old saw "all publicity is good publicity."  Hocus' out of control ego has lead to some of the loonier moments in hoco-history.  Like him saying that he founded the retire early community.  And recall that post he made on nofeeboards where he demanded every thank him.  Norm was sunk from the start, there is nothing he could have said that would have satisfied the loony one.  

And note that Norm never actually denies getting paid by Hocus.   Great stuff.  And great detective work Schroeder.  Also, check out the feedback for the comments on Amazon.  
syke--
***** God Member

Postby BigMoneyJim » 02/25/07 at 18:45:17

Goldman may Google himself periodically...that's my guess. He publishes stuff online so he probably looks around occasionally to see what people are saying about him. That's how the other hocobook reviewer found her name here. Then again hocus may have told one or both of them. I get the impression he regularly prods "friendly" people via email to respond to comments here and there.
BigMoneyJim
***** God Member

Postby DRiP_Guy » 03/03/07 at 15:51:26

Ol' Norm has a Goldmine.

a) email the same old stale questionaire, b) publish, c) profit!

Norm: What challenges or obstacles did you encounter while writing your book? How did you overcome these challenges?
http://www.jrclifford.com/interview.html

Norm: What challenges or obstacles did you encounter while writing your book? How did you overcome these challenges?
http://www.robertfate.com/4.html

http://www.bookpleasures.com/Lore2/idx/ ... 339a35cab2

Norm: What challenges or obstacles do you encounter while traveling and performing?How did you overcome these challenges?
http://www.blogwithapunk.com/interview- ... n-18/1128/

Norm: What challenges or obstacles did you encounter while writing your books? How did you overcome these challenges?
http://ezinearticles.com/?Is-There-Such ... ?&id=36899

Norm: How long did it take you to put together your CD and what challenges or obstacles did you encounter while putting together the CD? How did you overcome these challenges?
http://ezinearticles.com/?id=209859

Norm: What challenges or obstacles have you encountered while promoting books? How did you overcome these challenges?
http://westwindcos.com/releases/book_ma ... asures.htm

Norm: What challenges or obstacles have you encountered while promoting books? How did you overcome these challenges?

... there are a lot of self-published books that are poorly written and poorly distributed....
Enlightened authors who self-publish also realize that they need to self promote and possibly hire a publicist.
http://www.absolutewrite.com/novels/scott_lorenz.htm

Norm: What challenges or obstacles did you encounter while traveling to Nepal? How did you overcome these challenges?
http://www.dealersvillage.com/News/5624 ... To-Say.asp

Ten more pages of exact same:

http://www.google.com/search?q=2007+nor ... rt=10&sa=N
DRiP_Guy
***** God Member

Postby DRiP_Guy » 03/03/07 at 15:55:47

What is amazing is that even when Rob pays for premium services, like a publicist, he simply cannot take their advice, even while acknowledging it!

"I like your idea of cutting to the chase on the description of the book concept and there are a few things that I can add to the credentials section to beef that up a bit. Your suggestions will make this a stronger query letter...
"I was impressed with your quick turn-around time and your identification of the need to better focus the message re the book concept. After Passion Saving is published, I would like to contact you for help with crafting some publicity materials.
"Thanks much for your help."
?Rob Bennett, author
[bold added for emphasis]
http://www.frugalmarketing.com/testimonials.shtml

...self-publishing can be expensive. You pay up front for all the production and distribution costs, and if your book does not sell, you will be stuck with the leftover inventory.

http://www.frugalmarketing.com/dtb/write-a-book.shtml
DRiP_Guy
***** God Member

Postby DRiP_Guy » 03/03/07 at 16:31:03

Wow, how fortunate that Hocus' spending plans for self promotion are using "Fun Units" that would otherwise just be needlessly wasted on his wife and children, as he explains in this article:

Robert Bennett of Purcellville Va.,
who publishes the Financial
Freedom blog at www.passionsaving.
com, believes ?holiday
spending has spun out of control?
and that families need to
re-evaluate their priorities.
Bennett and his wife,Mary,
have cut back significantly on
holiday spending. And they
budget for it, setting aside some
money every month to cover
Christmas gifts for their two
sons, a tree, entertaining and
other holiday expenses.
Bennett says he tries to be creative
about gifts.
?I?ll go to a used bookstore
and find just the right book for
Mary, maybe something out of
print,? he said. ?I may cost just
$5, but I know it?s something she
wants.
?
Bennett also argues that children
would be better off getting
less, including his own boys, who
are 5 and 3. ?Like most kids they
already have too many things,?
he said. ?It?s actually a burden
on the kids.
?
[emphasis added]

http://www.petoskeynews.com/content/art ... 201015.pdf
DRiP_Guy
***** God Member

Postby DRiP_Guy » 03/11/07 at 20:25:01

Here is a distribution of Ratings for almost 400 reviews that Norm Goldman has listed on Amazon.

The chances of any book, including the Hocobook, getting less than four stars (the Hoco-rating)
is 1.50%[sup]1[/sup]!!!!

In addition, most books Norm reviewed (60%) got a higher rating, even though Rob paid the "Expidited review" hyper-rate to Norm for his review.  ;D

[sup]1[/sup] - It seems possible the real odds are much less than 1.5%, if the panned books did not pay Norm, and he was somehow subconsciously influenced by that fact. I imagine Norm would bristle at that idea, of course.   :lol:
DRiP_Guy
***** God Member

Postby Orion. » 03/12/07 at 11:26:16

Thanks for making the distribution of reviews so clear!

Of course, from a business perspective, I think that distribution makes sense. If someone is paying for a review, they want a high rating. They don't want the unpredictability of your opinion. Even if those few 3 star reviews were all unpaid reviews, you risk scaring paying clients away by giving too many of them.
Seriously, hocus, I don't know if you're really insane or you just believe that acting that way is a good way to get attention.

My closest friends say that it appears to them that's a little bit of both.. -- hocus 2007.
Orion.
***** God Member

Postby sgeeeee » 03/12/07 at 12:23:29

The 3-star reviews might indicate that the check bounced.   :) :) :)
-sgeeeee
sgeeeee
***** God Member

Postby syke-- » 03/12/07 at 19:49:08

orion wrote:Thanks for making the distribution of reviews so clear!

Of course, from a business perspective, I think that distribution makes sense. If someone is paying for a review, they want a high rating. They don't want the unpredictability of your opinion. Even if those few 3 star reviews were all unpaid reviews, you risk scaring paying clients away by giving too many of them.

Exactly, you have to toss out a few clunkers in order to maintain your credibility.  Of course, it beg the question who gives a crap if someone is an Amazon Top 500 Reviewer or not?   Based on the way the books are flying off the shelves, I would say basically no one.  

That said, old Norm out hocused hocus when it comes to working in retirement.  He gets free books and the occasionally $99 check.   It is not something you get rich doing, but it beats vanity publishing.  
syke--
***** God Member

Postby DRiP_Guy » 03/12/07 at 21:46:51

syke-- wrote:
orion wrote:Thanks for making the distribution of reviews so clear!

Exactly, you have to toss out a few clunkers in order to maintain your credibility.  Of course, it beg the question who gives a crap if someone is an Amazon Top 500 Reviewer or not?   Based on the way the books are flying off the shelves, I would say basically no one.  

That said, old Norm out hocused hocus when it comes to working in retirement.  He gets free books and the occasionally $99 check.   It is not something you get rich doing, but it beats vanity publishing.  

Question: So how many $29.20 (within VA) books does Rob have to sell to pay for renewing his biz license?

Answer: About twice as many as he apparently sold this year.

LIMITED LIABILITY COMPANY NAME:
FREEDOM STORE, LLC, THE

STATUS/DATE:
ACTIVE 10/18/04

LLC-ID:
S135303-8

CURRENT REGISTERED AGENT:
ROBERT MICHAEL BENNETT
STREET: 160 HATCHER AVE
CITY: PURCELLVILLE
STATE:      VA
ZIP: 20132-0000
MEMBER/MAN
EFF DATE: 10/18/04
LOC: 153 LOUDOUN COUNTY

ASSESSMENT PAY 3 ACCEPTED
08/24/06
60-82-44-3116      
DRiP_Guy
***** God Member

Return to Rob Bennett Book and Media Discussion