Re: Audrey Owen reviews Passion Saving

Rob Bennett is paying for vanity-published books and articles in various newspapers and magazines. Here we will discuss these attempts to gain glory in the public eye.

Postby sgeeeee » 09/10/06 at 20:19:26

intercst wrote:. . . We have one contributor on this forum who has a book on early retirement due to be published by John Wiley & Son in January 2007. He disclosed that the publisher had the manuscript reviewed by lawyers, financial planners, and a physician.

http://www.amazon.com/Engineering-Your- ... F8&s=books

I see no evidence of that kind of careful review in Mr. Bennett's work.

intercst

I was very pleased with the review & editing process Wiley put Engineering Your Retirement through.  My book proposal was reviewed by at least 6 different people working for Wiley and the book outline and proposed content was expanded to satisfy that group.  My DW reviewed each chapter as it was finished and modifications were made based on her comments.  Once the manuscript was finished, Wiley sent the book out to 7 reviewers:  An attorney (for the sections about wills, POAs, and other legal matters), a doctor (for sections on healthcare), a financial planner (who didn't like my advice because I indicated that you did not need a financial planner), an MBA who writes a regular magazine column on investing, a retired executive from IBM, and two working engineers at different points in their career.  Their comments and suggestions were incorporated in a second draft of the book.  The manuscript was then sent off to a copy editor, marked up, typeset, and  passed back to me for revisions.  Based on the marked up manuscript and page proofs, I think there may actually have been multiple editors at this stage.  This review cross-checked my references as well as corrected the text.

The book is currently back at the typesetters for final revisions.  The Wiley web site still indicates a January '07 release, but I have been promised it will soon be updated to indicate a November '06 release.  You can all put it on your Christmas list.   ;)

For a preview of the book organization, go to:

http://www.golio.net

:) :)
-sgeeeee
sgeeeee
***** God Member

Postby Schroeder » 09/10/06 at 20:24:28

Interesting that REHP has such a high profile on the internet. Out of curiosity, I Googled Audrey Owen. REHP was number 6 on the first page:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=audrey+owen

Retire Early Home Page - Audrey Owen reviews Passion Saving
Re: Audrey Owen reviews Passion Saving Reply #1 - 09/05/06 at 10:26:16 ... Hocus comments on Audrey Owen's book review in his Sept 6 blog . . . **LINK** ...
www.s152957355.onlinehome.us/cgi-bin/ya ... 57467658/3 - 89k - Cached - Similar pages
Proud Member of the Financial Freedom Community!
Schroeder
***** God Member

Postby tmeri » 09/10/06 at 20:53:06

Schroeder wrote:Interesting that REHP has such a high profile on the internet. Out of curiosity, I Googled Audrey Owen. REHP was number 6 on the first page:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=audrey+owen

Retire Early Home Page - Audrey Owen reviews Passion Saving
Re: Audrey Owen reviews Passion Saving Reply #1 - 09/05/06 at 10:26:16 ... Hocus comments on Audrey Owen's book review in his Sept 6 blog . . . **LINK** ...
www.s152957355.onlinehome.us/cgi-bin/ya ... 57467658/3 - 89k - Cached - Similar pages

intercst is number 1 on the a9 search engine.

http://a9.com/%22audrey%20owen%22

BTW, arrete:
He quotes me in his blog, and I have asked him not to, as have many others.

He also mentions you in the book, saying you decided to retire because you were tired of alarm clocks waking you up or some such nonsense.
Claim to fame -- first ever to win hocus bingo.

Hocus does not have my permission to use my words or stories anywhere, ever.

We have MOVIES!  Financial Freedom Movies
tmeri
***** God Member

Postby arrete » 09/10/06 at 21:00:45

He also mentions you in the book

I'm so honored.   :P

arrete - getting up at 6:30 to feed the hummingbird and doves, then to let in the guys who are going to demolish my kitchen
Quando omni flunkus moritati.
arrete
***** God Member

Postby BigMoneyJim » 09/10/06 at 23:09:27

Schroeder wrote:Interesting that REHP has such a high profile on the internet. Out of curiosity, I Googled Audrey Owen. REHP was number 6 on the first page:

ERforum also is a heavyweight in the search engines. An obvious astroturf campaign posting appeared, and instead of deep-sixing it I posted my opinion of the place given the online research I could do (for example, banking/cash site registered in the past month with conflicting indicators of location). A search on their name has my less-than-friendly post at or near the top of the list. (Er, had; it appears they've managed to remove our forum's mention of their product from Google results!)

As for this book reviewer, I don't have enough knowledge or info on the topic to understand if she's an innocent bystander of hocomania or if it's something else. We've documented several instances of hocus spending unnecessary money on his book and doing rather dubious things to promote it, so we are naturally skeptical. And given our own trusted reviewer, selected quotes and hocus' frequent writings I find it odd somebody really likes the thing. Even those who defend hocus tell him he rambles on and on.
BigMoneyJim
***** God Member

Postby ataloss » 09/11/06 at 15:56:46

well I failed the read without laughing test.

I think some things must just be uneditable like that sentence.

I am not a professional editor but I bet if I tried I could make h's book into a short pamphlet without losing any important content

I do think Rob is a good writer it is his ideas that are poor
Rob, please get help: Loudoun County Mental Health 703-771-5100  I am not a mental health professional. I am not qualified to diagnose or treat. Get help. What do you have to lose? Your current course is catastrophically unproductive.
ataloss
***** God Member

Postby Orion. » 09/11/06 at 16:16:15

ataloss wrote:I am not a professional editor but I bet if I tried I could make h's book into a short pamphlet without losing any important content

I think that's an important distinction. ?When Audrey said:

audrey wrote:The value of a book to any particular person is completely personal.

It occurred to me that this is a fine standard for fiction, but in a finance book, I expect more. ?I hope that the industry standard for a finance book is higher and the fact that this book had to be vanity published makes me think it probably is.
Seriously, hocus, I don't know if you're really insane or you just believe that acting that way is a good way to get attention.

My closest friends say that it appears to them that's a little bit of both.. -- hocus 2007.
Orion.
***** God Member

Postby Schroeder » 09/11/06 at 16:52:29

orion wrote:
ataloss wrote:I am not a professional editor but I bet if I tried I could make h's book into a short pamphlet without losing any important content

I think that's an important distinction. ?When Audrey said:

audrey wrote:The value of a book to any particular person is completely personal.

It occurred to me that this is a fine standard for fiction, but in a finance book, I expect a more. ?I hope that the industry standard for a finance book is higher and the fact that this book had to be vanity published makes me think it probably is.

I was just re-reading my review of hocus' book. This is the last bit before I called it quits:

http://www.s152957355.onlinehome.us/cgi ... 064278/9#9

As a "book on finance", it is very poor. Hocus leaves out information or he was simply not aware of that information. I'm referring specifically to tapping a 401k early. Hocus leads the reader to believe that he cannot touch 401k money until 65.

And as a book on saving, he gives contradictory advice in that section I linked above.

Schroeder
Proud Member of the Financial Freedom Community!
Schroeder
***** God Member

Postby arrete » 09/11/06 at 18:48:29

As a "book on finance", it is very poor. Hocus leaves out information or he was simply not aware of that information. I'm referring specifically to tapping a 401k early. Hocus leads the reader to believe that he cannot touch 401k money until 65.

And as a book on saving, he gives contradictory advice in that section I linked above. ?

I'm convinced that hocus is just making motions to pretend he is actually doing something. ?Probably has to do this to convince family members/friends to keep giving them money.

This, actually, is what pisses me off. ?I sure hope the church isn't giving him anything. ?My step-mother held together 7 kids after her husband basically went bonko - killing yourself in the backyard is a good indication. ?Anyway - she - WORKED. ?Apparently hocus doesn't understand that word. ?When she married my father they both WORKED. ?Until they had enough to retire, no matter the number of kids. ?hocus should take a note. ?Retiring without enough assets doesn't fill the bill.

arrete
Quando omni flunkus moritati.
arrete
***** God Member

Postby tmeri » 09/11/06 at 20:35:18

ataloss wrote:well I failed the read without laughing test.

I think some things must just be uneditable like that sentence.

How about "Our money management skills are out of date. This book focuses on that problem." Does it say more than that? (I'm assuming here that if you study it carefully enough, you'll be able to determine what it says. Possibly that's not true, even for me.)
Claim to fame -- first ever to win hocus bingo.

Hocus does not have my permission to use my words or stories anywhere, ever.

We have MOVIES!  Financial Freedom Movies
tmeri
***** God Member

Postby hocus » 09/17/06 at 12:38:55

killing yourself in the backyard is a good indication.

There was a guy who used to post at the Motley Fool board who I had to take into the backyard for a shooting. He was a big-time Greaney defender and he was putting up stuff that was getting on the nerves of a lot of my fellow community members. I didn't like doing it, but I don't see that I really had any choice.

I believe that he was named "McBeaned" or something like that. Yuck!

Rob
Lying and sliming since May 12, 2002 --  Don't understand why intercst allows me to post here. Learn more about Rob Bennett, see link: http://retireearlyhomepage.com/bennett.html
hocus
***** God Member

Postby hocus » 09/17/06 at 12:45:25

He also mentions you in the book, saying you decided to retire because you were tired of alarm clocks waking you up or some such nonsense.

Well, at least I didn't say that she retired early because she wanted to spend the remaining days of her life launching big noisy stinkies in public places, like she does since she got hooked up with Greaney. The alarm-clock thing sounds pretty darn sensible when the more recent realities are taken into consideration, no?

I mean, come on.

Rob
Lying and sliming since May 12, 2002 --  Don't understand why intercst allows me to post here. Learn more about Rob Bennett, see link: http://retireearlyhomepage.com/bennett.html
hocus
***** God Member

Postby hocus » 09/17/06 at 13:12:27

I have limited time both professsionally and personally. I do not foresee using more of it on this topic

Audrey:

I can't blame you if you elect not to participate at any discussion board that permits posts in defense of John Greaney's posting tactics or John Greaney's safe withdrawal rate claims. I think it would be fair to describe Greaney as the most abusive poster in the history of the internet. And the historical stock-return data shows that Greaney's demonstrably false SWR claims will likely result in hundreds of thousands of busted retirements in days to come, presuming that stocks perform in the future anything at all in the manner in which they always have in the past.

I hope that you will not allow your experience at this Stinkhole to influence your thinking on the wonderful people that congregate at Financial Freedom Community boards to learn about the wonderful topic of early retirement or about that topic itself. There are thousands of smart and kind and generous people who have expressed a desire that civil and reasoned and honest on-topic discussion be permitted at our boards. Once the site administrators of the various boards work up the courage to take action on the Greaney problem, the rights of those people will be respected once again.

Ours is a wonderful community. Please don't judge us by the few who have done great damage to their humanity by getting tangled up in the sickness brought to our community by the individual who owns this discussion board. The anger and dishonesty and pure stink of this board is a reflection of that individual's personal sickness, and not of the Financial Freedom Community as a whole.

Flee the sickness by all means. But please don't judge the rest of us by the ugliness that has been interjected into our discussions by a few losers who can find nothing better to do with their time than to destroy disscussion boards at which they are clearly not welcomed to participate.

Rob
hocus
***** God Member

Postby Phoenix » 09/17/06 at 18:58:33

hocus wrote:Flee the sickness by all means...

... and heal yourself by joining hocus and jwr at their very own Financial Freedom Community board.
Proud proprietor of the SeWeR and founding administrator of Bogleheads
Phoenix

Postby hocus » 09/18/06 at 04:20:01

The Wiley web site still indicates a January '07 release, but I have been promised it will soon be updated to indicate a November '06 release.

Good luck with it, SGoon.

Rob
hocus
***** God Member

Return to Rob Bennett Book and Media Discussion