Best Book Review Yet

Rob Bennett is paying for vanity-published books and articles in various newspapers and magazines. Here we will discuss these attempts to gain glory in the public eye.

Best Book Review Yet

Postby intercst » 09/02/06 at 08:46:05

http://socialize.morningstar.com/NewSoc ... 1#replyTop

64. Book Quotes
Rob Reed| 09-02-06 | 06:19 AM

jason375 link: I briefly perused quotes by author and reader's comments about his "book".

The "book" is nothing more than a pi?ata begging to be smacked. The "book" seems to be filled with random musings and rants, and written by an author consumed to lead others down a dead-end path along with their family and children. If a person spent as much time with their children as being spent posting gibberish on the internet, then I could at least see the argument of quitting one's job and living a basic survival lifestyle.

</snip>

The thing that impresses me the most about the reviews I've seen of the Hoco-Book is that all of the reviewers have a firmer grasp of concise, written English than el hoco loco.

intercst
Some people are leaders, some are followers, and a few don't want to join the parade.
intercst
***** God Member

Re: Best Book Review Yet

Postby hocus » 09/02/06 at 09:10:55

You left out the "LOL" at the end on that one, John.

Rob
Lying and sliming since May 12, 2002 --  Don't understand why intercst allows me to post here. Learn more about Rob Bennett, see link: http://retireearlyhomepage.com/bennett.html
hocus
***** God Member

Postby DRiP_Guy » 02/20/07 at 22:42:49

Sorry to bump a very old thread, but in light of Hocus banning from M*, there was a thread that pointed back to this section (Book and Media Discussion), and when I read this thread, I though of what I had intended to post long ago, but never got around to it.

Anyone recall this album? I think the two word review of it would seem appropriate as applied to Rob's Book.

Robert Michael "Hocus" Bennett, October 22, 2010: "I have been living off my savings for 10 years"
DRiP_Guy
***** God Member

Postby Fred333 » 10/25/07 at 10:07:35

That was a very funny movie. The album was good too. 8-)
Fred333
* Newbies

Postby DRiP_Guy » 10/28/07 at 09:36:53

Since apparently only one copy ever sold (Mrs. Hocus? Rodd and Todd as a gag gift?), we are left with reprising older reviews to alert a new generation of what to expect from Rob's writing:

jtmitch, TMF, 04/17/06:

my daughter, a freelance writer, had run into Rob Bennett (hocus) on the internet. She telelphonically interviewed him for an article she wrote... hocus sent my daughter a copy of his book, "Passion Saving."

I've been at my daughter's house for Easter and for a few days of babysitting afterwards, and she graced me with taking the shrink-wrap off the book and letting me read it.

I've only been "skimming" it, not reading every word (who has the time?) I haven't finished it yet, but here is my early take:

- it's repetitive...
- it's contradictory...
- it's short on specific advice...
-  he hearkens back time after time to a "4% real growth rate" and seems to say you can count on withdrawing that much every year. So what's his beef with intercst?...

I'm inclined to think that I've learned more from many of the non-hocus posters on this board than I have from him. And although I am admittedly older than he, I think I'm more securely FIRED from following the advice of others than I would have been had I gone his route.

http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=23984651
Robert Michael "Hocus" Bennett, October 22, 2010: "I have been living off my savings for 10 years"
DRiP_Guy
***** God Member

Postby Schroeder » 10/28/07 at 09:50:23

DRiP Guy wrote:jtmitch, TMF, 04/17/06:

my daughter, a freelance writer, had run into Rob Bennett (hocus) on the internet. She telelphonically interviewed him for an article she wrote... hocus sent my daughter a copy of his book, "Passion Saving."

I've only been "skimming" it, not reading every word (who has the time?) I haven't finished it yet, but here is my early take:

- it's repetitive...
- it's contradictory...
- it's short on specific advice...
- ?he hearkens back time after time to a "4% real growth rate" and seems to say you can count on withdrawing that much every year. So what's his beef with intercst?...

As one who has read and reviewed the hoco-book, I have to agree.

Ever since his interview with Liz Pulliam Weston, I've been trying in vain to have hocus explain how early retirees are suppose to achieve a 4% real growth rate. I would have to say at this point that hocus' level of understanding is very weak. I think he just parrots the words with no real thought or understanding as to what he's saying.

Schroeder
Proud Member of the Financial Freedom Community!
Schroeder
***** God Member

Return to Rob Bennett Book and Media Discussion