JWR - still wiping the snot from Rob's runny nose

Get the latest happenings from the world of Russell-mania. Learn how to become your own sorcerer's apprentice and mine financial statistics, torture numbers, and delete inconvenient data points to support your theories. Russell often teams up with Rob Bennett, author of Passion Saving to form the Troll Brothers when they post in tandem on Internet discussion boards.

JWR - still wiping the snot from Rob's runny nose

Postby DRiP_Guy » 01/04/09 at 11:29:20

JWR ?illustrates he is still willing to pimp for Rob, and shamelessly invent crap out of thin air on behalf of more traffic to their websites. The idea that some one over on Bogleheads is or is not reconsidering their own strategy has NOTHING to do with Bennett's own decade of ludicrous bloviations. 'Vindicated' my ass.

Re: Rob, aka Hocus, vindicated?
JWR1945a 16 hours, 11 minutes ago | Post #2610862

so if you really think your little website has resolved everything I don't see any point in continuing the conversation.

Hocus is vindicated. Outstanding.

Have fun.

John Walter Russell

Re: Rob, aka Hocus, vindicated?
peter71 16 hours, 6 minutes ago | Post #2610867

Wow, there are a LOT of crappy journals out there, so for a second I was worried you might have actually published something somewhere . . . I also thought the "John Walter Russell" stuff might be because you were ashamed of being Hocus's sidekick . .. .

Wrong on both points!

Yay, now I'm having fun again!

All best,

Pete

http://socialize.morningstar.com/NewSoc ... hread.aspx
Robert Michael "Hocus" Bennett, October 22, 2010: "I have been living off my savings for 10 years"
DRiP_Guy
***** God Member

Re: JWR - still wiping the snot from Rob's runny n

Postby Yipee-Ki-O » 01/15/09 at 00:09:33

You gotta love it. The market goes down and hocus and his boy-pal JWR commence to dancing in the streets like they've just won the lottery. Too much! News flash for the DynamicDuo; that's why in a passive investing strategy it's important to have a bond to equities ratio appropriate for your risk tolerance. Many folks don't. I read an article in the paper the other day (don't remember the source) which stated something to the effect that markets like this separate those who shouldn't be invested in equities from those who can live with risk. Those who have an appropriate ratio of equities and bonds are now in a position to wait things out. Now, hocus would have you believe that having heard the BatSignal, those investors who have been too frightened to buy stocks will now jump in with both feet. Yeah, right! This from a troll who professes to understand the "average" investor. Rob also likes to bleat about how valuations matter. Nobody says they don't, the disagreement is how one can determine valuations in a manner that is actionable. Rob has fallen head over heals with PE10. But thus far he has flatly refused to show any evidence that using PE10 can best a Passive Investing portfolio such as the Coffeehouse Portfolio. But now matter, a troll gonna do what a troll's gonna do. Rob's not playing this game to further anyone's understanding of investing. Nope, this is just a narcissitic troll's way to draw attention to himself. Troll away, Rob. that's what this HocoPlaypen is all about! :lol:
Work is the refuge of those who have nothing better to do, Oscar Wilde
Yipee-Ki-O
***** God Member

Postby DRiP_Guy » 01/15/09 at 06:13:19

Yipee-Ki-O wrote:Rob also likes to bleat about how valuations matter. Nobody says they don't, the disagreement is how one can determine valuations in a manner that is actionable. Rob has fallen head over heals with PE10. But thus far he has flatly refused to show any evidence that using PE10 can best a Passive Investing portfolio such as the Coffeehouse Portfolio.

Just to be clear it is true (to my knowledge) that 'nobody says they don't' with regard to the idea that "Valuations Matter", but it has been posited that this may be true, but is so far is unproven and perhaps even unprovable. Rather than debate that detail on that subtle point, the fact remains that individual investors, fund managers, speculators, and unemployed internet cranks who try to capitalize on the surmise that "valuations Matter" usually end up getting their azz handed to them by Mr. Market, because the logical outcome is to try to time the market!

If Rob actually had something actionable and specific for others to do or try, then one might engage in a debate as to the utility of his system. But since he just bleats on and on about how 'valuations matter' supposedly, but without ANY specificity of what an individual investor could be expected to do about it, he is just so much noise. But then, he likes being talked about, so here we are.... ?;D
Robert Michael "Hocus" Bennett, October 22, 2010: "I have been living off my savings for 10 years"
DRiP_Guy
***** God Member

Postby hocus2009 » 01/15/09 at 08:36:35

that's why in a passive investing strategy it's important to have a bond to equities ratio appropriate for your risk tolerance.

If you went with an allocation that made sense at a time when the risk of owning stocks was low and didn't change it when the risk of owning stocks went to insanely dangerous levels, you were wildly overinvested in stocks when prices crashed. That's the entire point, Yip.

Setting your allocation properly is important. It is a logical impossibility for a Passive Investor to get it right. The thing that Passive Investors are passive about is their stock allocation!

Rob
If you cherish lying and ruining internet communities as much as I do, please support me by buying many copies of my vanity book. Your children will love budget sex and your purchase is tax deductible (Schedule A: casualty loss).

Luvya Boo! Please come back. I'm on TV now! A big star. Just like you wanted.
hocus2009
***** God Member

Postby hocus2009 » 01/15/09 at 08:38:30

Many folks don't.

Rational Investors try.

Passive Investors make a deliberate effort not to change their allocations. That's the "strategy"!

Rob
If you cherish lying and ruining internet communities as much as I do, please support me by buying many copies of my vanity book. Your children will love budget sex and your purchase is tax deductible (Schedule A: casualty loss).

hocus2009
***** God Member

Postby hocus2009 » 01/15/09 at 08:48:18

markets like this separate those who shouldn't be invested in equities from those who can live with risk.

This is the Passive Investing mindset.

The proper thing to do is to manage risk.

You can't manage it if you don't know what it is. The only way to learn how great the risk is at a given price level is to look at how stocks have performed at that price level in the past. Passive Investors do not do this!

Ask one, Yip. Ask a Passive Investor how much be believes he should lower his stock allocation when prices go to insanely dangerous levels. You will see that what I am saying here is so.

Most Passive Investors will tell you that there is no such thing as insanely dangerous stock prices. That's why so many Passive Investors were wildly overinvested from 1995 through the first part of 2008.

Passive Investors don't even consider risk. They are blind to it. They pay little attention to valuations. The reason why they don't pay attention is that they are passive. If you are not going to change your allocation in any event, why bother learning how risky your allocation has become?

Once you elect to go passive, you have given up your use of human reason re investing questions. The only way to get it back is to acknowledge the insanity of Passive Investing.

That's the key first step. Everything else follows nice and easy after that one. There's nothing that makes any of this hard to understand. But you cannot make sense out of Rational Investing for so long as you believe in Passive Investing. The two models start from totally opposite first premises. Passive says that you must not change your allocation in response to price changes. Rational says you must change your stock allocation in response to price changes.

The only question on the table is: Do valuations affect long-term returns?

If yes, simple logic demands a choice for Rational Investing.

If no, simple logic demands a choice for Passive Investing.

Rob

hocus2009
***** God Member

Postby hocus2009 » 01/15/09 at 08:49:49

having heard the BatSignal

Why do you refer to the historical data as "the BatSignal"? That's emotion talking. Thats the Passive Investing mindset.

Rob

hocus2009
***** God Member

Postby hocus2009 » 01/15/09 at 08:53:28

those investors who have been too frightened to buy stocks will now jump in with both feet.

You're looking at this from the standpoint of a Passive Investor.

Passive Investors make a deliberate choice to have their emotions rule them. Rational Investors aim to overcome their emotions to the extent possible. Rational Investors are guided by the historical data. The historical data shows that stocks offer a fine long-term value proposition at today's prices.

You're right that most investors are in panic mode today. That's because most investors have bought into the Passive Investing marketing slogans. The way to overcome panic is to teach people what the historical data says about how stocks are likely to perform starting from today's price levels. That means permitting people to hear about Rational Investing ideas.

Rob

hocus2009
***** God Member

Postby hocus2009 » 01/15/09 at 08:54:51

Nobody says they don't

How much did you lower your stock allocation when prices went to insanely dangerous levels?

That's the test.

Actions speak louder than words.

Rob

hocus2009
***** God Member

Postby hocus2009 » 01/15/09 at 08:56:28

the disagreement is how one can determine valuations in a manner that is actionable.

I wonder how people trying to learn how to invest effectively would go about doing this.

You've raised a real toughie here, Yip.

Rob

hocus2009
***** God Member

Postby hocus2009 » 01/15/09 at 09:01:10

Rob has fallen head over heals with PE10.

I've fallen head over heels for Rational Investing.

P/E10 is a tool used by Rational Investors. Nothing more, nothing less.

Humans use reason in all sorts of life endeavors. People who use human reason to build homes use hammers to get the job done. Are they in love with hammers? No. They appreciate their tools, that's all.

You are head over heels with the idea of having no tools. What tool do you use to know how much to change your allocation when prices go to insanely dangerous levels? You use nothing. That's your tool? Something beats nothing every time, Yip. P/E10 is a while big bunch better than anything that the Passive Investing Dogmatists have to offer. They're not even in the game. They don't even try to manage risk effectively. Their "tools" are marketing slogans.

Rob

hocus2009
***** God Member

Postby hocus2009 » 01/15/09 at 09:04:36

but is so far is unproven and perhaps even unprovable.

Good point, Drip.

Maybe I'll hide all my money in my mattress.

Or maybe I'll just go with the same stock allocation when prices are insanely dangerous as I went with when prices were reasonable.

Those sorts of approaches are certainly worth a try.

Rob

hocus2009
***** God Member

Postby Schroeder » 01/15/09 at 10:04:20

hocus2009 wrote:Passive says that you must not change your allocation in response to price changes. Rational says you must change your stock allocation in response to price changes.

The only question on the table is: Do valuations affect long-term returns?

If yes, simple logic demands a choice for Rational Investing.

If no, simple logic demands a choice for Passive Investing.

None of this is true re Rational Investing. Remember, when it comes to Rational Investing . . .

THERE IS NO SYSTEM!

I might add that John Bogle, William Berstein and other Passive Investing advocates fully agree that valuations affect long-term returns.

Schroeder
Proud Member of the Financial Freedom Community!
Schroeder
***** God Member

Postby hocus2009 » 01/15/09 at 10:35:30

THERE IS NO SYSTEM!

It is the Passive Investing mindset that causes you to believe that there must be a "system."

Systems don't work.

Rob

hocus2009
***** God Member

Postby hocus2009 » 01/15/09 at 10:36:24

I might add that John Bogle, William Berstein and other Passive Investing advocates fully agree that valuations affect long-term returns.

Yet they advocate Passive Investing.

Both things are so.

Rob

hocus2009
***** God Member

Next

Return to The Best of Russell-mania