JWR - still wiping the snot from Rob's runny nose

Get the latest happenings from the world of Russell-mania. Learn how to become your own sorcerer's apprentice and mine financial statistics, torture numbers, and delete inconvenient data points to support your theories. Russell often teams up with Rob Bennett, author of Passion Saving to form the Troll Brothers when they post in tandem on Internet discussion boards.

Re: JWR - still wiping the snot from Rob's runny n

Postby hocus2009 » 01/15/09 at 15:08:17

You Rob, on the other hand, refuse to offer anything.

I sure don't offer any endorsements of Passive Investing. That much is more than fair to say.

I am confident that you will have no trouble putting together a winning portfolio if you put Passive Investing behind you, Schroeder. That's the "system." Your human reason is your friend, not your enemy.

Rob
If you cherish lying and ruining internet communities as much as I do, please support me by buying many copies of my vanity book. Your children will love budget sex and your purchase is tax deductible (Schedule A: casualty loss).

Luvya Boo! Please come back. I'm on TV now! A big star. Just like you wanted.
hocus2009
***** God Member

Postby Orion. » 01/15/09 at 15:12:01

hocus2009 wrote:You Rob, on the other hand, refuse to offer anything.

I sure don't offer any endorsements of Passive Investing. That much is more than fair to say.

You don't offer anything else, either. It's all about your hatred of other people and their successes, isn't it, Rob?

If all the successful people went away, then what would you do?
Seriously, hocus, I don't know if you're really insane or you just believe that acting that way is a good way to get attention.

My closest friends say that it appears to them that's a little bit of both.. -- hocus 2007.
Orion.
***** God Member

Postby hocus2009 » 01/15/09 at 15:48:50

It's all about your hatred of other people and their successes, isn't it, Rob?

Yes. I woke up on the morning of May 13, 2002, with a deep hatred of all humanity. I tried to come up with a plan to get even with the successes. The first thing that came to mind was the idea of reporting the safe withdrawal rate accurately.

That'll fix 'em!

Rob
If you cherish lying and ruining internet communities as much as I do, please support me by buying many copies of my vanity book. Your children will love budget sex and your purchase is tax deductible (Schedule A: casualty loss).

hocus2009
***** God Member

Postby Orion. » 01/15/09 at 15:54:28

hocus2009 wrote:It's all about your hatred of other people and their successes, isn't it, Rob?

Yes. I woke up on the morning of May 13, 2002, with a deep hatred of all humanity. I tried to come up with a plan to get even with the successes. The first thing that came to mind was the idea of reporting the safe withdrawal rate accurately.

That'll fix 'em!

Rob

Interesting. So how does continually claiming to report some number accurately when you have so far failed to do so help you?
Seriously, hocus, I don't know if you're really insane or you just believe that acting that way is a good way to get attention.

My closest friends say that it appears to them that's a little bit of both.. -- hocus 2007.
Orion.
***** God Member

Postby DRiP_Guy » 01/15/09 at 16:00:03

hocus2009 wrote:A rocket scientist can build a system that describes when to adjust course, right?

No.

He can determine what factors usually apply and develop effective guidelines.

But he needs to be willing to adjust his guidelines in circumstances that require adjustments...

NASA's Voyager 1 spacecraft is the most distant human-made object in the universe.

Voyager I was launched in 1977 to study and photograph the giant outer planets of the Solar System, the robot ship was expected to survive just four years. However, like the battery advertising icon, the Energizer Bunny, the little spacecraft kept on going.

The satellites are able to generate their own electrical powered energy from the natural radioactive decay of plutonium into electricity to power the satellites instruments, computers, radio and other craft systems.

Gyro operations will end in 2010 for Voyager 2 and 2011 for Voyager 1. Gyro operations are used to rotate the probe 360 degrees six times a year to measure the magnetic field.

The two Voyager spacecraft continue to operate, with some loss in subsystem redundancy, but retain the capability of returning scientific data from a full complement of VIM science instruments.

The computer command subsystem (CCS) provides sequencing and control functions. The CCS contains fixed routines such as command decoding and fault detection and corrective routines, antenna pointing information, and spacecraft sequencing information. The Voyager spacecraft have three RCA 1802RCA 1802 ?CPUs running at 6.4 MHz.
The computer command subsystem (CCS) provides sequencing and control functions. The CCS contains fixed routines such as command decoding and fault detection and corrective routines, antenna pointing information, and spacecraft sequencing information.

[from the schedule] ?Year: 2020 -- Start shutdown of science instruments...

http://www.spacetoday.org/SolSys/Voyagers20years.html
http://www.absoluteastronomy.com/topics/Voyager_program
http://startrekspace.blogspot.com/2006/ ... urney.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voyager_1

You have heard of computers, right, Rob?  Forty-three years of continuous operation on fixed code, in order to become the farthest manmade object in the universe.

But, I am thinking you have no idea of the distinction between data and code, do you?

Don't get nervous, it's okay to admit ignorance.
(Please! For God's sakes, you needn't start a ten year diatribe about how even though you aren't a programmer, you can somehow detect flaws in the coding of others...!!!)
Robert Michael "Hocus" Bennett, October 22, 2010: "I have been living off my savings for 10 years"
DRiP_Guy
***** God Member

Postby hocus2009 » 01/15/09 at 16:00:27

So how does continually claiming to report some number accurately when you have so far failed to do so help you?

It confuses them.

Once I have them spinning in so many directions that they get dizzy, I swoop in for the kill.

Please don't tell!

Rob

hocus2009
***** God Member

Postby hocus2009 » 01/15/09 at 16:02:46

The two Voyager spacecraft continue to operate, with some loss in subsystem redundancy, but retain the capability of returning scientific data from a full complement of VIM science instruments.

That proves it. I guess it really is a good idea to report the SWR inaccurately afterall.

Seems I've got a lot of 'splainin' to do!

Rob

hocus2009
***** God Member

Postby Orion. » 01/15/09 at 16:05:22

hocus2009 wrote:So how does continually claiming to report some number accurately when you have so far failed to do so help you?

It confuses them.

Once I have them spinning in so many directions that they get dizzy, I swoop in for the kill.

Please don't tell!

Rob

That's the most rational thing I've heard you say in ages, Rob.

So what's plan B now that you've been banned everywhere?

Orion.
***** God Member

Postby ogrecat » 01/15/09 at 17:08:05

DRiP Guy wrote:
hocus2009 wrote:Say that you tried to reduce the processes that are followed to get correct change to a "system."

You would bring about a disaster.

I have seen this tried in McDonalds.

There are rules that you can follow. But you need to understand why those rules are there and what the exceptions are.

You have put the system ahead of the goal.

Rob

I would have loved to have seen you tackle Operations Research, Rob.

Or Systems Management
Or Numerical Methods for Computers
Or Calc 101
Or Logic 101
:o
As a dog returneth to his vomit, so a fool returneth to his folly.
ogrecat
***** God Member

Postby ogrecat » 01/15/09 at 17:11:33

hocus2009 wrote:A rocket scientist can build a system that describes when to adjust course, right?

No.

He can determine what factors usually apply and develop effective guidelines.

But he needs to be willing to adjust his guidelines in circumstances that require adjustments. Failing to make necessary adjustments is irrational. It is the sort of dogmatism that is characteristic of Passive Investing advocates. I oppose that sort of thing.

The goal should be to achieve good investing results, not to become a slave to a "system."

I want financial freedom. Any system that stands in the way of me achieving that is a system that I can do without.

Your desperate need for a "system" is a sign of insecurity, Schroeder. The cause of the insecurity is your "belief" in Passive Investing. You don't believe on a deep level. You have common sense, like all the rest of us. Your common sense stands in opposition to your Passive Investing "needs."

I don't need no stinkin' system. Financial freedom is good enough. And I think it's fair to say that there's no way that one person can have both. Phony "systems" are a big negative.

Rob

We can't all have wealthy parents who die on schedule.
As a dog returneth to his vomit, so a fool returneth to his folly.
ogrecat
***** God Member

Postby sgeeeee » 01/15/09 at 20:38:38

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Wow.  I was busy all day and missed the mania.  Great day for it again.

VII is better than anything.

Everyone is wrong but me.

I don't have a system.

VII doesn't work when you test it because you aren't defining correctly.

I won't define VII.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
-sgeeeee
sgeeeee
***** God Member

Postby Orion. » 01/15/09 at 22:59:13

sgeeeee wrote: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Wow. ?I was busy all day and missed the mania. ?Great day for it again.

I was stuck here while a new furnace was being installed so I was getting it all in glorious real-time. ?The new furnace is super efficient and super quiet - just the opposite of hocus. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Orion.
***** God Member

Postby Yipee-Ki-O » 01/16/09 at 22:01:28

I want financial freedom.

Your parents died and gave you what you wanted, financial freedom. Other folks have to work for theirs. Good thing they have better options than that offered by the hocotroll!

Whew, the hocomania sure does accumulate when one is away from their desk! :)
Work is the refuge of those who have nothing better to do, Oscar Wilde
Yipee-Ki-O
***** God Member

Postby Yipee-Ki-O » 01/16/09 at 22:26:34

hocus2009 wrote: Nobody says they don't

How much did you lower your stock allocation when prices went to insanely dangerous levels?

That's the test.

Actions speak louder than words.

Rob

[highlight]1) Is a decline of 20.25% considered "bone-crushing" in the HocoLexicon? ?

2) How do returns for VII over the same period compare to those of the Coffeehouse Portfolio? ?
[/highlight]
Work is the refuge of those who have nothing better to do, Oscar Wilde
Yipee-Ki-O
***** God Member

Postby ataloss » 01/25/09 at 07:15:06

Yes. I woke up on the morning of May 13, 2002, with a deep hatred of all humanity

Rob, I can see that you are in pain. Please seek some mental health attention.
Rob, please get help: Loudoun County Mental Health 703-771-5100  I am not a mental health professional. I am not qualified to diagnose or treat. Get help. What do you have to lose? Your current course is catastrophically unproductive.
ataloss
***** God Member

Previous

Return to The Best of Russell-mania