Lies, Damn Lies, and Hocomania pt 79

Can retiring early make you crazy? Get the latest news from the world of Hoco-mania. Surprising insights on arithmetic, imagined 'death threats', message board administration, and the merits of leaving a high-paying job only to pursue sub-minimum wage work in retirement to make ends meet. For more on Hocomania see Rob Bennett, author of Passion Saving.

Lies, Damn Lies, and Hocomania pt 79

Postby PinkUnicorn » 01/01/16 at 14:06:20

The Pink Unicorn says
January 1, 2016 at 3:04 pm
Your comment is awaiting moderation.

I’m not making any money, Reality. You got that one right. I haven’t made a dime in 13 years. That makes me very, very, very sad. It makes my wife even sadder!”

You would think that after 13 years, you would have finally come to the conclusion that you have been wasting your time, to the determent of your family.

“Could I be wrong?”

You even have to ask that question???? 13 years of failure, yet you seriously ask that question.

“In the event that I am wrong, I will just have to live with it.”

It is not just you, Rob. Your family has been forced to live with it.
PinkUnicorn

Re: Lies, Damn Lies, and Hocomania.

Postby PinkUnicorn » 01/01/16 at 14:15:21

The Pink Unicorn says
January 1, 2016 at 3:13 pm
Your comment is awaiting moderation.

“The reason for pushing the date out is that the crash has not come yet, Anonymous. To predict a crash by the end of 2015 on New Year’s Eve would be a little bit stupid, no?

But it’s not a blown call. I never said that it was certain that we would see a crash by the end of 2015.”

Rob, it is not like you just made this prediction few months ago. You have been talking about a crash for many years. People asked you for a date and you said the following:

“I was asked to give a time frame and ?felt that that was a reasonable thing to demand of me. So I gave it my best shot. I said that, if we do not see a crash by the end of 2015, that would be grounds to question this VII stuff. I think that is fair. We cannot say when it will come but there are lots of reasons to believe that it should come by the end of 2015. If it doesn’t, that would suggest that we are missing a big piece of the puzzle and I think it would be fair for my critics to point that out. That’s all I can say on the matter.

I can give the reasons why I view the end of 2015 as being an outside date. But they don’t matter. You’ve heard them before. The bottom line is that we cannot give a precise date. Emotions are not predictable to that extent. But the entire historical record indicates we should see the crash by the end of 2015. I don’t have a crystal ball. I am just reporting what the data tells us. WHICH WAS THE ENTIRE IDEA OF THE BUY-AND-HOLD PROJECT ONCE UPON A TIME.

ROB”

You gave 2015 as AN OUTSIDE DATE based on your interpretation of the historical record, and by missing that, it gives ground to question VII. It just another one of your pathetic attempts to change the story yet again.
PinkUnicorn

Postby Yipee-Ki-O » 01/02/16 at 13:00:02

I’m not making any money, Reality. You got that one right. I haven’t made a dime in 13 years. That makes me very, very, very sad. It makes my wife even sadder!

I don’t think you are right when you say that I don’t have a following. There’s one sense in which you are right. No one posts comments here but you Goons. That reality leaves the impression that I do not have a following. But I have had thousands of people express great enthusiasm re my stuff. I have had some of the biggest names in the field tell me that they rank my site as the #1 investing site on the internet.

Yet no but those you call "Goons" bother to post anything at your Plop. If thousands of people had expressed great enthusiasm for your "stuff" then they'd be posting here. And if some of the biggest names in the field considered the Plop the #1 investing site on the internet they'd either post comments here occasionally or link to your site. Wake up and smell the coffee, hocus. Nobody cares about your Bat$hit Crazy Hocomania Routine except for a handful of folks who find your antics to be entertaining. They're the only "followers" you have. There used to be more of us but your material has become so dreadfully repetitive that you've chased most folks away through the shear power of boredom. :roll:
Yipee-Ki-O
***** God Member

Postby Yipee-Ki-O » 01/05/16 at 11:27:05

We all have jobs to do in this world. Opening the internet up to honest posting on safe withdrawal rates and scores of other critically important topics is mine. It’s a hard job. It’s not a job that I sought for myself; it is one that was handed to me. I don’t see anyone else stepping forward to take on this important work. So I soldier on.

Yes hocus, you soldier on fueled by the mania of mental illness. And you are correct, nobody else will be stepping forward to help you peddle your Bat$hit Crazy Hocomania Routine. You have the narcissistic, passive-aggressive, mentally ill internet troll and Habitual Liar franchise all to yourself! :lol:
Yipee-Ki-O
***** God Member

Postby Yipee-Ki-O » 01/05/16 at 11:30:34

When I am awarded the $500 million settlement payment, that will be my wife’s money too. She will have earned it with her patience as I earned it with my determination. No one gets paid $500 million for nothing.

Yes hocus, nobody gets paid $500 million for nothing. I'm sure your wife understands that concept even if you don't. For whatever reason she's chosen to remain with her mentally deranged husband through thick and thin, probably for the sake of her children. Boo is very patient with her mentally ill husband.
Yipee-Ki-O
***** God Member

Postby ogrecat » 01/05/16 at 15:37:23

Will wife depart after younger son turns 18?
ogrecat
***** God Member

Postby Yipee-Ki-O » 01/05/16 at 18:32:16

ogrecat wrote:Will wife depart after younger son turns 18?

Hard to say. Given Rob's passive-aggressive personality disorder he's likely to have browbeat the heck out of her. She might be to intimidated to walk away.
Yipee-Ki-O
***** God Member

Re: Lies, Damn Lies, and Hocomania pt 79

Postby Yipee-Ki-O » 01/06/16 at 20:28:45

Not all lies count the same, Anonymous. That’s the point that I am making here.

Some of us belong in prison cells.

Rob, don't be so hard on yourself. You don't deserve to be in a prison cell, you need to be in a padded room in a psychiatric hospital. It's not punishment you need, it's intensive psychiatric care. Please make that call to Loudoun County Mental Health Services without further delay. You're always saying you love your country. Well, why not for once show some love for your family and take the first step to begin receiving the mental health care you so desperately need.
Yipee-Ki-O
***** God Member

Postby Yipee-Ki-O » 01/07/16 at 14:47:08

I was a Buy-and-Holder myself until the evening of August 27, 2002. It was on that evening when a poster at a discussion board (a fellow who had been a good friend of mine until then) threatened to kill my wife and children if I continued posting honestly re the errors in the Old School safe-withdrawal-rate studies (these studies do not contain an adjustment for the valuation level that applies on the day the retirement begins). That amazed me.

Yes hocus, it amazes me that you're still repeating that scurrilous claim after all these years despite the fact it has no basis in reality, having been cooked up entirely within your addled brain. But then again, I should know better than to expect any decency out of you. Once a narcissistic, passive-aggressive, mentally ill internet troll and Habitual Liar; always a narcissistic, passive-aggressive, mentally ill internet troll and Habitual Liar.
Yipee-Ki-O
***** God Member

Postby PinkUnicorn » 01/07/16 at 20:24:31

Rob is asked a question over at the plop about comments made to his posts over at Valuewalk. He responds as follows:

"There’s a button there that is sometimes available to me and that sometimes is not that permits me to delete individual posts. When the button is there, I delete those of Sammy’s comments that add nothing and that only subtract."

It seems that Rob is disappointed that he does not always have the ability to delete comments from others. I am sure it drives Rob nuts that he lacks full control. However, Rob should be pleased to see some posts, even if it is from people he calls goons, otherwise, his posts would be ignored in total.
PinkUnicorn

Postby Yipee-Ki-O » 01/08/16 at 19:22:20

I guess that we will see what happens following the crash. I know what I believe will happen. I believe that we will all pull together because we will all be too scared to play these stupid games any longer. I will be working side-by-side with Jack Bogle and with all of my other Buy-and-Hold friends. Nothing could make me happier.

Anyway, we will see how it goes as events continue to play out.

Hocus, Wade already told you what will happen for you in the event you get the Stock-Market-Crash-of-Your-Dreams. Nothing. But perhaps you've forgotten. Not to worry, thanks to the PostArchives I'll let Wade himself refresh your memory;

Rob, suppose the stock market does drop 65% as you are expecting. It might happen, who knows.

Step 1: Stock Market Drops 65%

Step 2: ??

Step 3: Rob wins $500 million settlement from the Goons, the Goons are sent to prison, the investing public learns about and adopts VII.

What is Step 2? There isn’t one. You will still be in the same position as you’ve been in for the last 10 years. Why didn’t something happen for you after the 2008 financial crisis? You are like the guy who keeps predicting new ends for the world as each previous prediction date passes by.

That is why I’m telling you, from one human being to another, that it is time to move on. You are a smart guy, and you could use your talents for something productive. While warning people about the 4% rule is helpful, the way that you go about doing it is rather “catastrophically unproductive” as one wise fellow said to you years ago. I provide a loud voice that is critical of the 4% rule, and so spending your days assassinating my character is counterproductive to your underlying cause. So perhaps you can start fresh with a new issue of social import that carries less baggage for you. What happened in the past is a sunk cost, but you still have a chance to turn things around and start afresh today. And you can do all of this while still being honest and true to yourself.

Rob, nothing changes for you in the event of a stock market crash. Nothing. You'll still be a narcissistic, passive-aggressive, mentally ill internet troll and Habitual Liar just like you are today. That's how things will play out for you.
Yipee-Ki-O
***** God Member

Postby Yipee-Ki-O » 01/11/16 at 11:09:15

I once recorded a podcast where I talked about my vision for the future of investing analysis. One thing I mentioned in that podcast is that I would like to see Money magazine have a ten-part series of cover stories focused on an “I Was Wrong” theme. Bogle could write one. And Bernstein. And Carl Richards. And Michael Kitces. I would write one. I have been wrong about some things. I think people might well learn more by me writing about things that I have gotten wrong than they would by hearing me push my views on SWRs one more boring time. No?

Rob, what you've been most wrong about lies in not seeking the psychiatric care you so desperately need. If you weren't so profoundly mentally ill and suffering from multiple personality disorders you might very well still be able to post at the most popular online personal finance discussion boards and blogs. But you never made that call to Loudoun County Mental Health Services and as your mental infirmities preclude you from interacting in a socially acceptable manner with other adults you still find yourself on the outside looking in. Posting your self-pitying diatribes at the Plop on the far fringes of the Interwebz is as good as it's going to get until you do get treatment.
Yipee-Ki-O
***** God Member

Postby Yipee-Ki-O » 01/13/16 at 13:03:15

Wade acknowledged me in the credits as having provided “inspiration” for the study because he based it all on my ideas. He followed my posts at the Bogleheads Forum, was fascinated by what I was saying and wrote to me asking if I would be willing to work with him to produce a study on Valuation-Informed Indexing. We worked together for 16 months, exchanging hundreds of e-mails.

"He followed my posts at the Bogleheads Forum..."

Liar.

Habitual Liar.

Rob, you never posted at Bogleheads; you were banned from the inception of that forum. If fact, Bogleheads was created because everyone had grown weary of you and your Bat$hit Crazy Hocomania Routine at the poorly moderated Morningstar Vanguard Diehards Forum so they broke off to form a hocus-free discussion board.

Wade did develop a curiosity about the concept of using PE10 as part of a formulaic investing strategy for investing. He investigated it to his satisfaction and then moved on. And he became less interested in researching the topic once he learned he wasn't covering any new ground as formulaic valuation investing strategies had been the focus of Lucile Tomlinson decades earlier. It was nothing new "discovered" by Rob "hocus" Bennett. And Rob, Wade didn't "work" with you. You may have indeed exchanged a series of emails with Wade because he was much too kind for his own good. He thought you might at some point get the hint that he was done with you and Lucky Seven and move on as he had. If you'll look at your collection of emails, you'll note those you sent Wade are voluminous while his responses become increasing short and curt. Poor Wade thought you might get the hint and leave him alone. No such luck. It took Wade a long time to realize you weren't just a little eccentric, you were a full-bore raging lunatic! A self-aggrandizing lunatic who wasn't about to let a big fish like Wade off the hook without a fight. But try as you might, you just couldn't bring Wade down to your level or convince him to accept his role as replacement for your Deceased Pensioner Trolling Pal John Walter Russell.

Rob, Wade has moved on. A. Long.Time. Ago. It's way past time for you to move on as well. Try as you might you weren't able to seriously damage Wade's reputation or impede his career trajectory. Wade is now a highly respected leader in the field of retirement financial planning while Rob "hocus" Bennett remains a narcissistic, passive-aggressive, mentally ill internet troll and Habitual Liar peddling Bat$hit Crazy hocomania on the far fringes of the Interwebz.

All is well.
Yipee-Ki-O
***** God Member

Postby Yipee-Ki-O » 01/18/16 at 13:50:28

Rob says
January 17, 2016 at 7:53 pm
There are Post Archives.

Rob

Yes Rob, and those Post Archives will show the sad descent of Rob "hocus" Bennett into the abyss of insanity.
Yipee-Ki-O
***** God Member

Postby Yipee-Ki-O » 01/22/16 at 14:20:17

The reason why they are long is that they explore micro-issues. In ordinary circumstances, there might be an item that would have a headline of “Old-School Retirement Studies Fail to Include Valuation Adjustments.” That’s shocking. All you need are those few words to convey a shocking truth that every investor on the planet needs to know about. So, in that ordinary sort of case, all that you need is a headline of short length to convey the information that needs to be conveyed.

Those are not the circumstances that apply in the investing realm today. I have posted articles at a good number of sites containing short headlines conveying that message. Those articles should have been picked up by every investing site on the internet. They should have been featured on the front page of the next day’s New York Times.

It didn’t happen.

Huh hocus, nobody picked yor articles? Well, go figure. I guess there's just not that much demand for the Bat$hit Crazy delusions of a mentally ill internet troll.
Yipee-Ki-O
***** God Member

Next

Return to The Best of Hoco-mania