The Godfather of Valuation Informed Investing

Can retiring early make you crazy? Get the latest news from the world of Hoco-mania. Surprising insights on arithmetic, imagined 'death threats', message board administration, and the merits of leaving a high-paying job only to pursue sub-minimum wage work in retirement to make ends meet. For more on Hocomania see Rob Bennett, author of Passion Saving.

The Godfather of Valuation Informed Investing

Postby Forum Admin » 06/21/14 at 00:19:50

...would be me. (Just came across this article on CBSMarketwatch)

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/retirement-withdrawal-rates-and-the-markets-2012-12-18

Sustainable withdrawal rates from a diversified portfolio including stocks can also be expected to share this relationship with market valuations. The person deserving credit for first quantifying the nature of this relationship is John Greaney, who wrote at an early retirement online message board in 2002 that:

"I'm not aware of anyone who has been successful in timing when stock prices are high or low over the long-term. If you possess this unique ability that others lack, perhaps the easiest thing to do is to adjust the safe withdrawal rate by the amount that you consider stocks to be higher than they have ever been. If stocks are 25% higher, drop the 4% withdrawal to 3%. If you feel stocks are 50% higher than they have ever been, then drop the 4% down to a 2% withdrawal."

</snip>

intercst
Forum Admin

Re: The Godfather of Valuation Informed Investing

Postby Yipee-Ki-O » 06/21/14 at 01:21:06

Surely as a man of great character :lol: , Mr. Bennett will quickly apologize and cease and desist his custom of making defamatory statements towards you on a regular basis since the historical record clearly shows you to be the Proud Papa of Valuation-Based Withdrawal Methodology. The countdown begins.... :roll:
Work is the refuge of those who have nothing better to do, Oscar Wilde
Yipee-Ki-O
***** God Member

Postby ataloss » 06/21/14 at 14:07:32

I think Rob pointed your work out to Wade
Rob, please get help: Loudoun County Mental Health 703-771-5100  I am not a mental health professional. I am not qualified to diagnose or treat. Get help. What do you have to lose? Your current course is catastrophically unproductive.
ataloss
***** God Member

Postby dab90south » 06/21/14 at 14:15:47

(kid at ferris bueller's school) he's my hero (/)
dab90south
***** God Member

Postby DRiP_Guy » 06/21/14 at 15:43:35

YKO: There is someone you should talk to.
Hocus: If you say John Greany, you lose a testicle.
YKO: Oh, you know him then.

:lol:
Robert Michael "Hocus" Bennett, October 22, 2010: "I have been living off my savings for 10 years"
DRiP_Guy
***** God Member

Postby Yipee-Ki-O » 06/22/14 at 11:36:11

I notice that piece appeared back in 2012 and was quickly anointed with a dollop of hocomania by the mentally ill internet troll Rob "hocus" Bennett. :roll:
Work is the refuge of those who have nothing better to do, Oscar Wilde
Yipee-Ki-O
***** God Member

Return to The Best of Hoco-mania