Rob should have bought an NBA team

Can retiring early make you crazy? Get the latest news from the world of Hoco-mania. Surprising insights on arithmetic, imagined 'death threats', message board administration, and the merits of leaving a high-paying job only to pursue sub-minimum wage work in retirement to make ends meet. For more on Hocomania see Rob Bennett, author of Passion Saving.

Rob should have bought an NBA team

Postby dab90south » 04/29/14 at 09:23:52

according to wikipedia, Donald Sterling bought the NBA clippers franchise in 1981 for 12.5M, and it is now worth 575M in 2014.  an increase of a factor of 46 over 33 years, or an average of 12.3% per year.  far better than VII promises.  and very few trading costs.  buy and hold is what he did.

a decently run pro team is self financing, money comes in from ticket, merchandise, concessions, advertising, TV money, and goes right back out in salaries, expenses, and maybe a little pay for the owner.  so few owners put their own money into the team long term.

so some want to 'make' him sell the team.  hell, i'll sell something that gained an average of 12.3% for 33 years.  on to the next investment.
dab90south
***** God Member

Re: Rob should have bought an NBA team

Postby Sensible Investor » 04/29/14 at 13:16:20

That's the Forbes estimate. The Sacramento Kings were recently sold for about that much. I'd say the Clippers, being that they are in LA and have two superstars on the roster, would go for much more.
Rob Bennett's comment on December 19, 2013: "I was wrong and the Buy-and-Hold people have a much better approach to investing than I do."

http://outofyourrut.com/robert-shiller- ... is-punches
Sensible Investor

Re: Rob should have bought an NBA team

Postby dab90south » 05/03/14 at 10:51:09

my next net worth goal is 2.82% away!!!!
dab90south
***** God Member

Return to The Best of Hoco-mania