Bogleheads forum....wow

Can retiring early make you crazy? Get the latest news from the world of Hoco-mania. Surprising insights on arithmetic, imagined 'death threats', message board administration, and the merits of leaving a high-paying job only to pursue sub-minimum wage work in retirement to make ends meet. For more on Hocomania see Rob Bennett, author of Passion Saving.

Re: Bogleheads forum....wow

Postby Yipee-Ki-O » 03/09/14 at 17:25:52

Hell hath no fury like a mentally ill internet troll scorned! ;)
Work is the refuge of those who have nothing better to do, Oscar Wilde
Yipee-Ki-O
***** God Member

Postby DRiP_Guy » 03/10/14 at 11:09:20

And yet, despite Rob's screeching about the Ban On Honest Posting On Teh Innerwebz, we find this recent well-mannered, polite, informative thread over on Bogleheads:

SWR w/current projected stock/bond returns

http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtop ... st=1990365

Rob: You lost your chance to be a voice that gets more than an eyeroll, when you long ago jumped the rails into full-blown all-out Hocomania. ?Short of a mental health intervention, it seems it will always remain thus, until you wither away muttering into oblivion.
Robert Michael "Hocus" Bennett, October 22, 2010: "I have been living off my savings for 10 years"
DRiP_Guy
***** God Member

Postby ataloss » 03/13/14 at 05:07:53

Nice thread at bogleheads. People can have different ideas but express themselves w/o conspiracy theories and ad hominem attacks.
Rob, please get help: Loudoun County Mental Health 703-771-5100  I am not a mental health professional. I am not qualified to diagnose or treat. Get help. What do you have to lose? Your current course is catastrophically unproductive.
ataloss
***** God Member

Postby gw » 03/13/14 at 09:45:25

Yep....the Boglehead's often have constructive conversations about the topics that Rob says are forbidden. ? People disagree, politely, and learn from one another about "forbidden" topics such as SWR's, stock valuations, PE10, retirement financing. ?

Meanwhile, Rob is saying things like:
I am entitled to damages FAR in excess of $500 million,Anonymous. The $500 million is a lowball number.

The full truth here is that I am not even going to need to file papers to obtain the $500 million. My good friend Jack Bogle would like to be free to provide honest investing advice. So would my good friend Bill Bernstein. So would my good friend Larry Swedroe. So would my good friend Scott Burns. When all of those people ? and tens of thousands of others ? are free to do honest work in this field because of the efforts of their good friend Rob Bennett, I have a funny feeling that I will soon be seeing a bag with $500 million landing on my front porch steps with a nice note attached.

So, Rob doesn't even think he'll have to go to court. ?People like Pfau (who posts at Bogleheads) will be so grateful to Rob that he will simply gift Rob with a 100k.

Rob started as a poster that sometimes produced material that some people (although not me) found valuable. ?He then progressed to an obsessed internet troll. He's now gone far beyond that and is completely separated from reality. ?

Where can he go from here? ? As long as it's nonviolent, it's bound to be entertaining.
Bennett's May '02 post: "I am deeply sorry for falsely criticizing the study"
http://boards.fool.com/the-differences-between-how-dory36s-online-17225279.aspx
Read about Rob; google "Narcisstic Personality Disorder".
gw
***** God Member

Postby Cut-Throat » 03/22/14 at 15:02:03

I've been banned temporarily 3 times at Bogelheads.

One time I got banned for just asking how could Mitt Romney accumulate $100 Million in an IRA. It was a serious question.
Cut-Throat

Postby dab90south » 03/22/14 at 15:30:20

Cut-Throat wrote:I've been banned temporarily 3 times at Bogelheads.

One time I got banned for just asking how could Mitt Romney accumulate $100 Million in an IRA. It was a serious question.

if you can avoid one letter posts here, we'll take a stab at answering any question.

as for Romney:  100M in an IRA?  very possible.

he's what, 65 ish?  so he's been working for say 40 years?

my own IRA has multiplied by a factor of almost 11 in the last 20 years.  so if he had saved aside about 10M by 1993, and invested well (he has), that's a very possible number.
dab90south
***** God Member

Postby Cut-Throat » 03/22/14 at 15:50:19

dab90south wrote:

if you can avoid one letter posts here, we'll take a stab at answering any question.

as for Romney: ?100M in an IRA? ?very possible.

he's what, 65 ish? ?so he's been working for say 40 years?

my own IRA has multiplied by a factor of almost 11 in the last 20 years. ?so if he had saved aside about 10M by 1993, and invested well (he has), that's a very possible number.

I started investing in IRAs when they became law in 1983. It was a maximum of $2 Grand per year then and I invested the Max every year since then. Multiply this by your 'factor of 11' and tell me what number you get? IRAs have not been around for 40 years. So, I smell a rat, and if you don't, you aren't paying attention. Either that, or your politics have clouded your good judgement.
Cut-Throat

Postby dab90south » 03/22/14 at 15:56:06

Cut-Throat wrote:
dab90south wrote:

as for Romney: ?100M in an IRA? ?very possible.

he's what, 65 ish? ?so he's been working for say 40 years?

my own IRA has multiplied by a factor of almost 11 in the last 20 years. ?so if he had saved aside about 10M by 1993, and invested well (he has), that's a very possible number.

I started investing in IRAs when they became law in 1983. It was a maximum of $2 Grand per year then and I invested the Max every year since then. Multiply this by your 'factor of 11' and tell me what number you get? IRAs have not been around for 40 years. So, I smell a rat, and if you don't you aren't paying attention.

my IRA also contains 401k rollovers that were greatly maxed out for many years.

i can envision him having earned and saved 10M by the time he was in his early 40s.  and it may or may not all be in a IRA.

politicians lie.  the lies get meaner when they don't like you.
dab90south
***** God Member

Postby Yipee-Ki-O » 03/22/14 at 15:59:52

How he did so has to do with the carried interest strategy hedge fund investors use to pay themselves huge sums of money which is taxed at lower capital gains rates than it otherwise would if it were taxed as the income that in reality it is. In other words, it's an entitlement program for the wealthy. The VERY wealthy.

The Atlantic had an article on the most likely details of the actual methods Mr. Romney employed. It's unfortunate he chose to not inform the public of exactly how his IRA came to contain such a huge sum of money. I think it reflects his desire not to offend the fellow members of his uber rich fraternity. But it would have been a nice window into the world of the rich and the rules they've paid politician's to enact on their behalf.

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/arc ... ra/261500/
Yipee-Ki-O
***** God Member

Postby dab90south » 03/22/14 at 17:28:17

then again, maybe it was a lie.  maybe he doesn't have 100M in an IRA, but making the public think he does served a political purpose.

his net worth is none of anyone's business.  nor is mine.
dab90south
***** God Member

Postby Sensible Investor » 03/23/14 at 20:34:27

As long as the contributions can be valued at the legal amount, plus rollovers, then it's all squeaky clean and legal. It must have something to do with the business Romney started.

I really admire Romney, both as a man and as a leader. Now that he right wing has lost two in a row I'm looking to see them work harder than ever to get one of their own nominated rather than a "moderate" like Romney or McCain. The only hard right winger that doesn't strike me as either dangerous (i.e. Rand Paul) or stupid (i.e. Sarah Palin, Rob's favorite) would be none other than the infamous Ted Cruz. That guy seems just as smart as Romney and he has the education and career experience to back that up, he just seems to be doing "crazy" things because it wins over the base. I think he's a true believer and is, unlike Romney, more willing to stick to his guns rather than compromise. I look at Romney as a true believer in conservatism through and through, but much more of a facilitator and much happier to compromise in order to reach common goals.

I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens. It could very easily come to Jeb Bush vs Hillary Clinton, or whoever. The field is pretty open.
Rob Bennett's comment on December 19, 2013: "I was wrong and the Buy-and-Hold people have a much better approach to investing than I do."

http://outofyourrut.com/robert-shiller- ... is-punches
Sensible Investor

Postby Yipee-Ki-O » 03/23/14 at 22:11:32

I think we'd be wise to do as the Boglehead's do and avoid political discussions like the plague. The HocoPlaypen is for entertainment purposes only. Let's keep it lighthearted here and focus on hocomania. :)
Yipee-Ki-O
***** God Member

Postby gw » 03/24/14 at 16:48:40

I agree.
Bennett's May '02 post: "I am deeply sorry for falsely criticizing the study"
http://boards.fool.com/the-differences-between-how-dory36s-online-17225279.aspx
Read about Rob; google "Narcisstic Personality Disorder".
gw
***** God Member

Previous

Return to The Best of Hoco-mania