World's top investor endorses buy and hold

Can retiring early make you crazy? Get the latest news from the world of Hoco-mania. Surprising insights on arithmetic, imagined 'death threats', message board administration, and the merits of leaving a high-paying job only to pursue sub-minimum wage work in retirement to make ends meet. For more on Hocomania see Rob Bennett, author of Passion Saving.

World's top investor endorses buy and hold

Postby ataloss » 03/02/14 at 15:13:38

WEB: What I advise here is essentially identical to certain instructions I?ve laid out in my will. One bequest provides that cash will be delivered to a trustee for my wife?s benefit?My advice to the trustee could not be more simple: Put 10% of the cash in short-term government bonds and 90% in a very low-cost S&P 500 index fund. (I suggest Vanguard?s.) I believe the trust?s long-term results from this policy will be superior to those attained by most investors
?

http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidwismer ... -the-week/
Rob, please get help: Loudoun County Mental Health 703-771-5100  I am not a mental health professional. I am not qualified to diagnose or treat. Get help. What do you have to lose? Your current course is catastrophically unproductive.
ataloss
***** God Member

Re: World's top investor endorses buy and hold

Postby Yipee-Ki-O » 03/03/14 at 13:31:22

I think it's fair to see the trust's long-term results with such a plan will be far superior to the results a certain mentally ill internet troll has attained from his strategy. Of course it's difficult to tell, since said troll has never actually followed the strategy he peddles.
Work is the refuge of those who have nothing better to do, Oscar Wilde
Yipee-Ki-O
***** God Member

Postby dab90south » 03/03/14 at 13:38:17

watched a show last night, part of the story was about this wealthy lady in the late 1800s, very miserly, died with $100M, and wanted her 2 children to continue to grow the estate.  Son was denied proper med care when a boy, lost his leg because mom was so cheap....so he got revenge....he spent it all.

trying to control from the grave is a fool's errand.
dab90south
***** God Member

Postby gw » 03/03/14 at 14:24:37

I remember a Far Side comic that showed a cloud outside a building sucking up furniture, goods and even a dog out of a window. A woman dressed like a widow is running out the front door yelling "It's Harold! He's taking it with him!"

I figure you take good care of your family, teach them about finances as much as you can, but - if they're adults - whatever control you have ends with you.
Bennett's May '02 post: "I am deeply sorry for falsely criticizing the study"
http://boards.fool.com/the-differences-between-how-dory36s-online-17225279.aspx
Read about Rob; google "Narcisstic Personality Disorder".
gw
***** God Member

Postby ogrecat » 03/03/14 at 17:32:28

dab90south wrote:watched a show last night, part of the story was about this wealthy lady in the late 1800s, very miserly, died with $100M, and wanted her 2 children to continue to grow the estate. ?Son was denied proper med care when a boy, lost his leg because mom was so cheap....so he got revenge....he spent it all.

Hetty Green.
As a dog returneth to his vomit, so a fool returneth to his folly.
ogrecat
***** God Member

Postby dab90south » 03/03/14 at 18:28:46

i missed the name (well, wasn't paying attention really).

our estate goal:  $0.00.

not much point in working and sweating for it if we can't enjoy it at some point.
dab90south
***** God Member

Postby Yipee-Ki-O » 03/03/14 at 18:46:53

At least Rob will be spared from any concerns about leaving a large inheritance to his kids! :roll:
Work is the refuge of those who have nothing better to do, Oscar Wilde
Yipee-Ki-O
***** God Member

Postby Sensible Investor » 03/03/14 at 19:30:26

ogrecat wrote:
dab90south wrote:watched a show last night, part of the story was about this wealthy lady in the late 1800s, very miserly, died with $100M, and wanted her 2 children to continue to grow the estate. ?Son was denied proper med care when a boy, lost his leg because mom was so cheap....so he got revenge....he spent it all.

Hetty Green.

From the Wikipedia article on her:

When she heard that her aunt Sylvia had willed most of her $2 million estate to charity, Robinson challenged the will's validity in court by producing an earlier will which allegedly left the entire estate to Hetty, and included a clause invalidating any subsequent wills. The case, Robinson v. Mandell, which is notable as an early example of the forensic use of mathematics, was ultimately decided against Robinson after the court ruled that the clause invalidating future wills, and Sylvia's signature to it, were forgeries.

What an awful person.
Rob Bennett's comment on December 19, 2013: "I was wrong and the Buy-and-Hold people have a much better approach to investing than I do."

http://outofyourrut.com/robert-shiller- ... is-punches
Sensible Investor

Postby dab90south » 03/03/14 at 21:57:45

Can you imagine how horrible rob would be with that kind of coin ?
dab90south
***** God Member

Postby Sensible Investor » 03/04/14 at 11:13:22

dab90south wrote:Can you imagine how horrible rob would be with that kind of coin ?

At least he'd be able to finally bring his kids to Disney World.

He'd still find the worst possible "investments", it'd just be on a bigger scale. His spamming would be far far worse. He might even hire a staff to market his stuff. He'd probably try to emulate Dave Ramsey or something and host a show on a local radio station he purchased or something. He would suffer a very high profile breakdown, both mentally and financially, at some point. $100 million isn't nearly enough to sustain an idiot with the sort of dreams Rob has.
Rob Bennett's comment on December 19, 2013: "I was wrong and the Buy-and-Hold people have a much better approach to investing than I do."

http://outofyourrut.com/robert-shiller- ... is-punches
Sensible Investor

Postby dab90south » 03/04/14 at 11:23:21

true.

it would be like the difference between a child crashing toy cars on the floor and watching the parts scatter vs. rob buying two large trains and crashing them.
dab90south
***** God Member

Postby ataloss » 03/08/14 at 06:57:44

well I guess Rob could get $500 million from his imaginary lawsuit but it seems pretty unlikely : )

Warren Buffet has done a lot better than the market but he recognizes that skill is rare and the trustee is better off with the market return.

Can you write a will or any contract which invalidates future contracts/wills?
Rob, please get help: Loudoun County Mental Health 703-771-5100  I am not a mental health professional. I am not qualified to diagnose or treat. Get help. What do you have to lose? Your current course is catastrophically unproductive.
ataloss
***** God Member

Return to The Best of Hoco-mania