10 Rules for Dealing with Borderline Personality

Can retiring early make you crazy? Get the latest news from the world of Hoco-mania. Surprising insights on arithmetic, imagined 'death threats', message board administration, and the merits of leaving a high-paying job only to pursue sub-minimum wage work in retirement to make ends meet. For more on Hocomania see Rob Bennett, author of Passion Saving.

10 Rules for Dealing with Borderline Personality

Postby ataloss » 03/02/14 at 08:34:14

probably I posted this before:

10 Practical Rules for Dealing with the Borderline Personality

I get to deal with a whole lot of crazy at work. The following rules are applicable to lots of flavors of crazy, but I've had a heavy dose of borderline personalities lately. So here are my ten rules for dealing with borderline personalities and other crazy people:

If you don't have to deal with a crazy person, don't.
You can't outsmart crazy. [Thanks to Lisa J] You also can't fix crazy. (You could outcrazy it, but that makes you crazy too.)
When you get in a contest of wills with a crazy person, you've already lost.
The crazy person doesn't have as much to lose as you.
Your desired outcome is to get away from the crazy person.
You have no idea what the crazy person's desired outcome is.
The crazy person sees anything you have done as justification for what she's about to do.
Anything nice you do for the crazy person, she will use as ammunition later.
The crazy person sees any outcome as vindication.
When you start caring what the crazy person thinks, you're joining her in her craziness.

http://blog.bennettandbennett.com/2010/ ... ality.html
Rob, please get help: Loudoun County Mental Health 703-771-5100  I am not a mental health professional. I am not qualified to diagnose or treat. Get help. What do you have to lose? Your current course is catastrophically unproductive.
ataloss
***** God Member

Re: 10 Rules for Dealing with Borderline Personali

Postby dab90south » 03/02/14 at 08:47:44

Rob who ?
dab90south
***** God Member

Postby Yipee-Ki-O » 03/02/14 at 13:34:50

It's unfortunate Wade P. didn't see this list prior to his unfortunate encounter with the mentally ill internet troll Rob "hocus" Bennett. Instead he learned these truisms the hard way, through personal experience. :(
Work is the refuge of those who have nothing better to do, Oscar Wilde
Yipee-Ki-O
***** God Member

Postby Sensible Investor » 03/02/14 at 13:59:34

That's a good point, Yip. It's easier for us to mess with Hocus since we're all anonymous usernames. It's always best to distance one's self from crazy people like Rob Bennett in real life. No good can come out of knowing them.
Rob Bennett's comment on December 19, 2013: "I was wrong and the Buy-and-Hold people have a much better approach to investing than I do."

http://outofyourrut.com/robert-shiller- ... is-punches
Sensible Investor

Postby ataloss » 03/02/14 at 15:15:15

I am guilty of trying to outsmart or at least reason with crazy. This list could have saved me a lot of time on the defunct nofeeboards
Rob, please get help: Loudoun County Mental Health 703-771-5100  I am not a mental health professional. I am not qualified to diagnose or treat. Get help. What do you have to lose? Your current course is catastrophically unproductive.
ataloss
***** God Member

Postby Yipee-Ki-O » 03/02/14 at 15:49:56

I think typically hoco-naive people start out trying to reason with hocus as if he were a just a little eccentric and not profoundly mentally ill. Wade P. certainly made that mistake. Most folks move on once they come to understand he's a totally bonkers?nutjob suffering from multiple personality disorders who cannot be swayed by facts or logic.

Only a small group of us who either find amusement in playing Poke-the-Troll with him or who have an interest in human psychology and find the online case study of his mental illness to be quite fascinating are willing to interact with Rob on an ongoing basis. But regardless of what drives any particular individual's interest in hocomania within our small group, all of us understand there's nothing we can say or do which will influence hocus. He's likely to remain Bat$hit Crazy for the duration of his sad, pitiful, Catastrophically Unproductive life.
Work is the refuge of those who have nothing better to do, Oscar Wilde
Yipee-Ki-O
***** God Member

Return to The Best of Hoco-mania