Lies, Damn Lies, and Hocomania.

Can retiring early make you crazy? Get the latest news from the world of Hoco-mania. Surprising insights on arithmetic, imagined 'death threats', message board administration, and the merits of leaving a high-paying job only to pursue sub-minimum wage work in retirement to make ends meet. For more on Hocomania see Rob Bennett, author of Passion Saving.

Re: Lies, Damn Lies, and Hocomania.

Postby DRiP_Guy » 02/27/14 at 15:48:01

And of course, the 99- reply long comments thread to the post linked just above (with most comments provided by Rob himself, as usual!) does not disappoint in it's apportionment of full-on robust Hocomania! Occasionally, the truth creeps in, as in the excerpt below, and Rob has to try to bury it with twenty more of his own long nonsensical replies.

A Canadian CFP, Norbert Schenkler, has this to say about the output of Rob's "Scenario Surfer" in a post at the Financial Webring Forum in a thread in which the participants attempted to have a reasoned discussion with Mr. Bennett about his Lucky 7 investment strategy;

"A warning.

The Scenario Surfer's results are based on completely fabricated return sequences concocted from thin air by hocus based on what he believes should happen given valuations, not what does happen. I know this because the primary developer (the "John" hocus refers to) has admitted that it's based on a spreadsheet which he made available to the public.

Unfortunately, insufficient cleanup prior to publication revealed something very telling. When I examined the contents of that spreadsheet, I found, after much misdirection within the sheet itself, the return time series along with a comment saying they were based on Rob's imagination.

Needless to say, that calls into considerable question the reliability of any output the 'Scenario Surfer' might produce."
Robert Michael "Hocus" Bennett, October 22, 2010: "I have been living off my savings for 10 years"
DRiP_Guy
***** God Member

Postby dab90south » 02/27/14 at 16:10:26

so it's just a semi-random number generator?  i have one of those on my TI-36X solar.  it doesn't spout hocomania.  i like it better.
dab90south
***** God Member

Postby Yipee-Ki-O » 02/28/14 at 14:12:05

I don?t like people calling me names.

Hocus, nobody is calling you names. They're just using descriptive adjectives which describe you and your mentation and personality disorders.

To wit:

Petulant.

Strident.

Chubby.

Innumerate.

Narcissistic.

Passive-aggressive.

Mentally ill.

Internet troll.

Habitual Liar.

Hypocrite.

Those words aren't used to be unkind. They're simply words which accurately describe you.
Work is the refuge of those who have nothing better to do, Oscar Wilde
Yipee-Ki-O
***** God Member

Postby Yipee-Ki-O » 02/28/14 at 16:03:19

I?m like everybody else.

No hocus, you are not like everybody else. Fortunately, not everyone is mentally ill like you are.
Yipee-Ki-O
***** God Member

Postby ataloss » 03/01/14 at 13:56:05

Rob doesn't realize how little he knows

The Dunning?Kruger effect is a cognitive bias in which unskilled individuals suffer from illusory superiority, mistakenly rating their ability much higher than is accurate. This bias is attributed to a metacognitive inability of the unskilled to recognize their ineptitude.[1] Actual competence may weaken self-confidence, as competent individuals may falsely assume that others have an equivalent understanding.
Rob, please get help: Loudoun County Mental Health 703-771-5100  I am not a mental health professional. I am not qualified to diagnose or treat. Get help. What do you have to lose? Your current course is catastrophically unproductive.
ataloss
***** God Member

Postby gw » 03/01/14 at 14:15:07

The [s]Dunning?Kruger[/s] Rob Bennett effect is a cognitive bias in which unskilled individuals suffer from illusory superiority, mistakenly rating their ability much higher than is accurate. This bias is attributed to a metacognitive inability of the unskilled to recognize their ineptitude.[1] Actual competence may weaken self-confidence, as competent individuals may falsely assume that others have an equivalent understanding.

Fixed that for you.
Bennett's May '02 post: "I am deeply sorry for falsely criticizing the study"
http://boards.fool.com/the-differences-between-how-dory36s-online-17225279.aspx
Read about Rob; google "Narcisstic Personality Disorder".
gw
***** God Member

Postby Yipee-Ki-O » 03/01/14 at 15:23:26

I think it's fair to say the fact that Bat$hit Crazy Rob "hocus" Bennett finds himself only able to blather endlessly about the Fables of Hocomania at his own Plop and a handful of other lightly-visited sites is one of the most welcome developments to occur over the long course of his Internet Trolling Career. Now he's free to be Crazy as a $hithouse Rat without disturbing those who have an interest in learning about personal finance. And those of us with an interest in psychology have the case study of a mentally ill individual conveniently available to us courtesy of the internet. It's a most elegant solution to the scourge of rampant, uncontrolled hocomania.  8-)
Yipee-Ki-O
***** God Member

Postby DRiP_Guy » 03/01/14 at 15:45:39

"I am the Rosa Park[sic] of personal finance."

:roll:
Robert Michael "Hocus" Bennett, October 22, 2010: "I have been living off my savings for 10 years"
DRiP_Guy
***** God Member

Postby dab90south » 03/01/14 at 17:22:38

DRiP Guy wrote:"I am the Rosa Park[sic] of personal finance."

:roll:

Impossible. Rob can't afford a bus pass.
dab90south
***** God Member

Postby Sensible Investor » 03/01/14 at 18:23:25

What an arrogant blowhard. You either agree with Rob, the "Rosa Parks of personal finance", or you're just like the police with fire hydrants.
Rob Bennett's comment on December 19, 2013: "I was wrong and the Buy-and-Hold people have a much better approach to investing than I do."

http://outofyourrut.com/robert-shiller- ... is-punches
Sensible Investor

Postby Yipee-Ki-O » 03/01/14 at 21:57:06

Yes, arrogant blowhard dovetails well with hocus' persona. But it's important to remember just how insignificant Rob is and how tiny is the audience for his Bat$hit Crazy Hocomania Routine. Outside of the few hocoresearcher's who follow him for cheap giggles, nobody is paying any attention to him. Rob seems to have carved out an annual token appearance for himself at FinCon but that seems more a case of someone in charge deeming it better to put up with a brief performance by Crazy Uncle Rob than to let him harp endlessly from the cheap seats that he's being persecuted.   :roll:
Yipee-Ki-O
***** God Member

Postby DRiP_Guy » 03/01/14 at 23:30:37

Yipee-Ki-O wrote:Yes, arrogant blowhard dovetails well with hocus' persona. But it's important to remember just how insignificant Rob is and how tiny is the audience for his Bat$hit Crazy Hocomania Routine. Outside of the few hocoresearcher's who follow him for cheap giggles, nobody is paying any attention to him. Rob seems to have carved out an annual token appearance for himself at FinCon but that seems more a case of someone in charge deeming it better to put up with a brief performance by Crazy Uncle Rob than to let him harp endlessly from the cheap seats that he's being persecuted. ? :roll:

I think their entire list of standards for admission are:

"Did this person pay the entry fee?"

Not too a high hurdle to clear, given that Rob must be nearly destitute but is still always willing to pony up for book jackets, vanity printings, trips to FinCon, corp fees, and other ego-driven purchases.
DRiP_Guy
***** God Member

Postby DRiP_Guy » 03/01/14 at 23:50:42

Yes, I am the most hated blogger on the internet. Because I am honest about what the last 33 years of peer-reviewed research in this field says... I?m a special kind of nut job.

No you are not.

No you are not.

Yes, you certainly are.

Sorry, Rob.
DRiP_Guy
***** God Member

Postby DRiP_Guy » 03/01/14 at 23:51:59

I have been doing work in this field for only 12 years and I already have Nobel-quality research with my name on it

Delusional lying egomaniac says what, Rob?
:lol:
DRiP_Guy
***** God Member

Postby Yipee-Ki-O » 03/02/14 at 00:28:39

DRiP Guy wrote:
I have been doing work in this field for only 12 years and I already have Nobel-quality research with my name on it

Delusional lying egomaniac says what, Rob?
:lol:

Oh how hocus doth believe that endless repetitions of the same lie somehow magically makes it become true. Alas for the poor demented hocotroll, that tactic only works in that strange, topsy-turvy, make-believe World of Hocomania. ;)
Yipee-Ki-O
***** God Member

PreviousNext

Return to The Best of Hoco-mania