Lies, Damn Lies, and Hocomania.

Can retiring early make you crazy? Get the latest news from the world of Hoco-mania. Surprising insights on arithmetic, imagined 'death threats', message board administration, and the merits of leaving a high-paying job only to pursue sub-minimum wage work in retirement to make ends meet. For more on Hocomania see Rob Bennett, author of Passion Saving.

Re: Lies, Damn Lies, and Hocomania.

Postby Yipee-Ki-O » 12/10/15 at 10:49:05

Shiller didn’t publish peer-reviewed research showing that there is precisely zero chance that a Buy-and-Hold strategy can ever work for even a single long-term investor last week.

Hocus, the reality is that Shiller has never published any study which supports your delusions about Buy-Hold-Rebalance. Shiller is not responsible for your inability to understand his work.
Yipee-Ki-O
***** God Member

Postby Yipee-Ki-O » 12/10/15 at 10:52:33

I wish that somebody had done this before I came on the scene. If someone had done this before I came on the scene, it never would have entered Greaney’s head that it would be okay to threaten to kill my wife and children as my penalty for having dared to “cross” him by posting honestly on safe withdrawal rates.

Hocus, you are solely responsible for the defamatory bogus "death threat" you attribute to John Greaney. That lie was made up entirely within that addled brain of yours.
Yipee-Ki-O
***** God Member

Postby Yipee-Ki-O » 12/10/15 at 21:44:21

We ALL need to win recognition of our right to post honestly. When I win recognition of that right for Rob Bennett, I am winning recognition of that right for everyone on this planet.

Hocus, nobody has any "right" to post at privately owned boards or blogs. Honestly or otherwise. One posts at the pleasure of the owner as you well know since you delete and/or edit nearly all comments posted to your Plop. Rob, you are already recognized as a narcissistic, passive-aggressive, mentally ill internet troll and Habitual Liar which accounts for why none of the serious personal finance discussion boards and blogs allow you to post. Your endless bleating about the butthurt you feel from getting yourself banned is really, really, really B-O-R-I-N-G!!!
Yipee-Ki-O
***** God Member

Postby Yipee-Ki-O » 12/11/15 at 19:40:48

The bottom line? People don’t always act in their self-interest. People sometimes cannot even see what is in their self-interest.

Very true, Rob. If you were to act your self interest--and the interest of your family--you would immediately seek the psychiatric care you so desperately need. But you cannot even see that you are profoundly mentally ill and that treatment would be in your self-interest.
Yipee-Ki-O
***** God Member

Postby PinkUnicorn » 12/13/15 at 19:16:51

Posted at the plop:

Anonymous says
December 13, 2015 at 4:04 pm
A quick question. If you do not get some type of “settlement” payment, will your current portfolio still cover your retirement needs?

Rob says
December 13, 2015 at 4:42 pm
It will not.

Rob

Uhm, Rob......this is like hoping to win the lottery as a retirement plan. Except the odds are even better with winning the lottery. It is one thing if you choose to ruin your life. The problem is that your family will end up suffering because of your delusions.
PinkUnicorn

Postby PinkUnicorn » 12/13/15 at 19:19:10

Rob says:

"So I would think it would be fair to say that we are all pretty much stuck at the moment."

No Rob. You are the one that is stuck. Spending your time trolling the internet and making stupid comments about windfalls, prison sentences, death threats, etc is not a "job". A real job is when you go out and do something of value to which someone is willing to give you a paycheck.
PinkUnicorn

Postby Yipee-Ki-O » 12/14/15 at 11:58:06

And I must never apologize for posting my honest beliefs about how stock investing works in the real world. And I must insist that my willingness to participate in discussions in a constructive and positive and life-affirming manner be given the respect that is merited.

Rob, all of the serious online personal finance discussion boards and blogs gave you the respect you merited. They all banned you and your Bat$hit Crazy Hocomania Routine. Nobody except the mentally ill internet troll Rob "hocus" Bennett himself would refer to your trolling as "constructive and positive and life-affirming."

Hocus, it's never going to get any better for you in the future than it is today. You're not going to get "unbanned." It's way better for all concerned that you post your nonsense in the blissful obscurity of your own Plop. In that wasteland you can bleat on endlessly about your Bat$hit Crazy fantasies and your mindless drivel doesn't disrupt any discussions over at the serious venues. Posting endless renditions of hocomania in the echo chamber of the Plop seems to make you happy and it has no effect on the larger community since nobody cares about you and your pathetic little blog.
Yipee-Ki-O
***** God Member

Postby Yipee-Ki-O » 12/14/15 at 12:00:51

Rob says
December 14, 2015 at 12:07 pm

I have a web site worth well in excess of $500 million. The $500 million is the amount that I have indicated that I will accept in settlement of the legal actions that I will be bringing following the next price crash. I will then of course be earning many millions on top of that as the first true research-based strategy is adopted by millions of investors.

You are headed to prison. Financial fraud is a crime, a felony.

I wouldn’t trade places with you for anything.

Yes, I see a big difference. But I don’t feel even a tiny bit of desire to sign up with your side.

I mean, come on.

I’ll do anything in my power to help you. But that’s as far as it goes. I ain’t going to prison and I ain’t giving up the $500 million. No way, no how. Find somebody else, you know?

Not this boy. That sort of thing ain’t my particular cup of tea. No can do.

I naturally wish you all the best things that this life has to offer a person.

Rob

That poor boy just ain't right!!! :roll:
Yipee-Ki-O
***** God Member

Postby gw » 12/14/15 at 12:15:19

I don't go by Rob's site very often, because he hasn't had anything new to say for years. I looked over there today and noted:

1. The absolutely-will-happen-by-2015 economic crash has now morphed into a "crash that might happen in 2016, or 2017, or maybe later".

2. He still thinks that he's going to get at least $500 000 000 after the crash....although he doesn't specify how.

3. He admits that without his mythical half-billion dollar gain, he doesn't have the portfolio to support himself in retirement.

Any sane person would know that they're toast and start doing something other than posting at an unread blog. Not our boy.

I guess this is what keeps me coming back every few months. Eventually, he'll have to do something...

....or maybe not.
gw
***** God Member

Postby Yipee-Ki-O » 12/14/15 at 13:18:50

Yep, at times I think I should ditch my hocomania habit like DRiP guy did but I keep on keepin' on out of curiosity about what the final trainwreck will look like. That Rob is counting on his "500 million dollar settlement" delusion to bail him out of his failed attempt at early-retirement was news to me. I thought that oft-repeated fantasy was just another talking point among many in the Bat$hit Crazy hoco-narrative. It's sad to see Rob's mental illness imposing such dire consequences upon his family. :cry:
Yipee-Ki-O
***** God Member

Postby Yipee-Ki-O » 12/15/15 at 15:27:04

I want to hear that feedback because I want to learn more. I especially need to know if I have gotten anything wrong or if there are any weaknesses in of the hundreds of claims that I have put forward over the past 13 years. So I certainly intend to participate in the huge learning experience that we all are going to enjoy once the Ban on Honest Posting re the last 34 years of peer-reviewed research is lifted at every discussion board and blog on the internet.

Hocus, there is no shortage of discussion on the topic of valuation-based investment strategy. Just Google "PE10 and future returns". None of those discussions would be enhanced by the participation of a mentally ill internet troll. Your fantasy about the existence of some "Ban on Honest Posting" is simply a ban on trolling. Rob "hocus" Bennett is a narcissistic, passive-aggressive, mentally ill internet troll and a Habitual Liar. You earned your ban, it's way past time you get over your butthurt about it. :roll:
Yipee-Ki-O
***** God Member

Postby Yipee-Ki-O » 12/15/15 at 20:57:48

Wade has participated in the biggest act of financial fraud in the history of the United States. How do you think that makes him feel? It makes him feel horrible. Wade didn’t get into this field to destroy millions of middle-class lives. He got into this field to help people. It hurts him that he has destroyed millions of lives. So he lies to himself about what he has done. He pretends that financial fraud is no big deal. All the Big Shots in this field are engaging in financial fraud today. So what does it matter if one more researcher flips to the dark side?

The only thing Wade feels is chagrin for having once naively assumed Rob "hocus" Bennett was just a little eccentric rather than appreciating the fact that he was actually a narcissistic, passive-aggressive, mentally ill internet troll and Habitual Liar. Wade's academic background and inquisitive nature left him vulnerable to manipulation by a seasoned sociopath like Rob "hocus" Bennett. You can hardly fault Dr. P for his mistake however as few people ever encounter such full-blown sociopath outside of law enforcement or the institutional setting.
Yipee-Ki-O
***** God Member

Postby PinkUnicorn » 12/15/15 at 21:55:51

gw wrote:I don't go by Rob's site very often, because he hasn't had anything new to say for years. I looked over there today and noted:

1. The absolutely-will-happen-by-2015 economic crash has now morphed into a "crash that might happen in 2016, or 2017, or maybe later".

2. He still thinks that he's going to get at least $500 000 000 after the crash....although he doesn't specify how.

3. He admits that without his mythical half-billion dollar gain, he doesn't have the portfolio to support himself in retirement.

Any sane person would know that they're toast and start doing something other than posting at an unread blog. Not our boy.

I guess this is what keeps me coming back every few months. Eventually, he'll have to do something...

....or maybe not.

What if a miracle happened and Rob finally came to his senses? What kind of job could he possibly get? He hasn't worked in about 15 years and whatever skills he had back at the time he was employed, would likely be rusty and outdated. He probably couldn't handle manual labor either. That leaves him with low skill/low wage options, like fast food or retail sales.
PinkUnicorn

Postby Yipee-Ki-O » 12/16/15 at 12:22:06

At this point I think Rob is incapable of gainful employment. Social Security disability payments for his mental illness appears to be his only option.
Yipee-Ki-O
***** God Member

Postby gw » 12/21/15 at 09:37:46

McDonald's? Wal-Mart greeter?

We used to have an old guy that worked for a local supermarket, bringing carts in from the parking lot. Sort of reminded me of Rob: a crazy conspiracy theorist turning into a Sovereign Citizen type, disheveled, and permanently bitter and angry. They finally had to fire him because his relentless rants were disturbing people. Should I tell Rob the position is open?
gw
***** God Member

PreviousNext

Return to The Best of Hoco-mania