Lies, Damn Lies, and Hocomania.

Can retiring early make you crazy? Get the latest news from the world of Hoco-mania. Surprising insights on arithmetic, imagined 'death threats', message board administration, and the merits of leaving a high-paying job only to pursue sub-minimum wage work in retirement to make ends meet. For more on Hocomania see Rob Bennett, author of Passion Saving.

Lies, Damn Lies, and Hocomania.

Postby DRiP_Guy » 02/21/14 at 18:25:54

Today Rob claimed:

I put my first post to the Motley Fool board in May 1999. I obviously knew about the errors in Greaney?s SWR study at that time.

Oh really, Rob? ?Let me refresh your memory -- here is your first ever post to the Retire Early board on Motley Fool. Rather than announcing the 'errors' in the SWR studies, you begin YOUR FIRST POST there by doling out advice to others that you haven't taken yourself. That was a trend that has held for a decade and a half.

OP said in the thread starter, titled "Semi-retirement"
I would like to retire from the corporate world, not work for a few years, and then return in a part-time capacity. Using the 4% rule, full retirement is in the distance. Rough guess is that 7.5% would cover expenses.

I envision a couple of solutions:

1. short retirement. take a lengthy sabbatical, recharge, and return to work in a few years. Meet expenses 100% from investment, thus reducing the principal somewhat.

2. do a part-time, semi-retirement thing by working some of the year and letting investments meet some of the expenses--say a 50/50 split. The investment principal would not be reduced, and, hopefully would grow.

3. keep working until investment holdings increase to cover 4% rule. NOTE: least desirable option is to continue working full-time.

Has anyone gone through a similar scenario? Any advice, whether or not?

Rob gets up on the mound and pitches this:
hocus
Date: 5/27/1999 12:20 PM

I suggest that you read the book "Your Money or Your Life" by Joe Dominguez.

You might find that a little more time working now will go a lot further than you think

INDEED!

Then, interestingly, just down that very thread, but much later, in response to an intervening question, Dory made things about as plain as they could be for Rob and any one reading -- purposes, assumptions, and limitations of the 4% rule of thumb for SWR.

dory36:
4% was based on the value of the portfolio from which you draw out the money, [in] the year before you start drawing it.

The whole idea of the research was to determine what level of withdrawal would never have depleted that portfolio, even if you were lucky enough to retire just before the crash of 1929, or other great times to retire.

And yet, here Rob is found on the Plop, even today, still lying and fundamentally misunderstanding, as if those intervening 15 years never even happened... or at least, that Hocus learned NOTHING during them.

That's a very sad thing.

And for the record, here is Rob's very first post to the Motley Fool, on any board:
http://boards.fool.com/hi-jim-id-like-t ... 14770.aspx
Robert Michael "Hocus" Bennett, October 22, 2010: "I have been living off my savings for 10 years"
DRiP_Guy
***** God Member

Re: Lies, Damn Lies, and Hocomania.

Postby DRiP_Guy » 02/21/14 at 18:39:35

Rob has been crazy for a long time. I just think it took a while for the world to see he wasn't just joking, ans he wasn't just confused. He's literally insane. Here, Rob talks about getting caught red-handed using one of his sock puppets, "McBeaned."

Author: RobBennett
Subject: Re: Hocus [is] McBeaned      
Date: 4/11/2004 1:45 PM

? ?"[Rob's] like one of them lizards that is constantly changing colors."

Bennett: "That McBeaned character was beginning to get on my nerves. So I had to take him out into the backyard and shoot him."

http://boards.fool.com/hes-like-one-of- ... 20756.aspx
:P
Robert Michael "Hocus" Bennett, October 22, 2010: "I have been living off my savings for 10 years"
DRiP_Guy
***** God Member

Postby DRiP_Guy » 02/21/14 at 18:41:42

Of course, after a time, at least *some* people did catch on:

Author: Jim5769
Subject: Re: New article on Passion Saving author Rob Bennett
Date: 12/31/2007 2:31 PM

Bennett is a delusional person in need of therapy. His "plan" is totally unrealistic and I feel sorry for the family he is dragging down with him. The lazy guy should have kept his day job.

http://boards.fool.com/bennett-is-a-del ... 37079.aspx
DRiP_Guy
***** God Member

Postby DRiP_Guy » 02/21/14 at 18:54:28

He can't help himself from wanting to burn even his very few occasional lukewarm supporters...

Rob says      
February 21, 2014 at 5:34 pm      

Todd [Tresidder] wants to make a buck... So he sells out his friends.

I posted a number of comments on the discussion thread... Todd called me up by telephone and asked me not to put up such long comments...

Todd has behaved unethically. But I do not personally believe that he will be going to prison. We cannot throw everyone in jail, can we? Todd will work up more courage as more people come forward. You Goons are the entire freakin? problem! We are on the one-yard line and you Goons are the only thing we need to overcome to get to the Promised Land.
DRiP_Guy
***** God Member

Postby DRiP_Guy » 02/21/14 at 19:15:48

Rob is a self-described INFJ. Add that statistically unique mindset to an apparent set of personal mental health issues, and you have got one mother of a combination!

As an INFJ, your primary mode of living is focused internally, where you take things in primarily via intuition. Your secondary mode is external, where you deal with things according to how you feel about them, or how they fit with your personal value system.

... they live in a world of hidden meanings and possibilities. Only one percent of the population has an INFJ Personality Type, making it the most rare of all the types.

INFJs operate within themselves on an intuitive basis which is entirely spontaneous. They know things intuitively, without being able to pinpoint why, and without detailed knowledge of the subject at hand. Consequently, INFJs put a tremendous amount of faith into their instincts and intuitions. This is something of a conflict between the inner and outer worlds, and may result in the INFJ not being as organized as other Judging types tend to be. Or we may see some signs of disarray in an otherwise orderly tendency, such as a consistently messy desk.

Situations which are charged with conflict may drive the normally peaceful INFJ into a state of agitation or charged anger. They may tend to internalize conflict into their bodies, and experience health problems when under a lot of stress.

they trust their own instincts above all else. This may result in an INFJ stubborness and tendency to ignore other people's opinions. They believe that they're right.

Life is not necessarily easy for the INFJ...
DRiP_Guy
***** God Member

Postby DRiP_Guy » 02/21/14 at 19:24:50

INFJs should be careful to avoid ?overheating? as their zeal and determination can sometimes get out of hand.

Unsurprisingly, people with this personality type are very sensitive and vulnerable to conflicts ? even the most rational INFJs may find it quite difficult to not take criticism personally. This is the INFJ?s Achilles? heel ? if someone with an INFJ personality cannot escape the conflict, they will do their best to deal with it head on, but this will result in a lot of stress and may also potentially lead to health problems or highly irrational behavior.

Famous INFJs
Ron Paul
Alexander Solzhenitsyn
Ayatollah Khomeini
Osama bin Laden
Robert Mugabe
Leon Trotsky
Chiang Kai-shek
Mohamed Atta
Adolf Hitler
DRiP_Guy
***** God Member

Postby DRiP_Guy » 02/21/14 at 19:27:43

Author: MsPoppy
Date: 5/19/2003 2:51 PM

Your word-count alone is bullying. Your incessant and un-yielding beating of the same horse is bullying. Your Quixotic quest detracts more from that board than any other topic I've seen yet at TMF. You were, upon my arrival at the Fool, one of my favorites. You are now the only intermittent occupant of my p-box. And that status isn't personl, it just saves me time.
That's what's most interesting about your point of view. You rationalize your mental expectoration as being some sort of "noble" cause. It isn't. It is vanity.

"mental expectoration"

Ouch!
:lol:
DRiP_Guy
***** God Member

Postby DRiP_Guy » 02/21/14 at 19:38:02

DRiP Guy wrote:Rob talks about getting caught red-handed using one of his sock puppets, "McBeaned."

Author: 2828
Date: 5/17/2004 4:21 PM

RobBennett was McBeaned, SamCooke1961, and hocus. He was also affectionately known as YKW (you know who).
DRiP_Guy
***** God Member

Postby Yipee-Ki-O » 02/26/14 at 12:17:12

I am the fellow who built the Retire Early board into the most successful discussion board in the history of the Motley Fool site. There were responsibilities that fell to me as the leader of that board community. When we saw a fellow coming forward with posts threatening to kill family members of any poster who dared to ?cross? him by posting honestly on the subject of retirement planning (at a retirement planning board!), I had zero choice but to call this fellow out and demand his removal from the site.

Had Motley Fool removed him when I sent my first e-mail to them demanding his removal (this was in June of 2002), J.D. and Mike and Jack and Bill and Larry and Scott and Rick and all the rest of us would obviously be in a very, very different place today than the messed-up situation we find ourselves in.

Rob, when the owners of Motley Fool saw a delusional, mentally ill fellow who imagined he had built and was the "leader" of the Early Retirement board slandering other posters with a made-up story about "death threats" they took the appropriate action of banning the offending party. You. The only person in a "messed-up situation" today is Rob "hocus" Bennett. And given the severity and progression of your mental illness over the years the sad situation you find yourself in these days was inevitable. ?:'(
Work is the refuge of those who have nothing better to do, Oscar Wilde
Yipee-Ki-O
***** God Member

Postby Yipee-Ki-O » 02/26/14 at 13:42:36

A Plop headline decrapified:

"Say That [s]Buy-and-Hold[/s] Lucky Seven Were a Legitimate Strategy. In That Case, [s]We[/s] Rob "hocus" Bennett Wouldn?t Have to Tell Lies to Defend It, Would [s]We[/s] He? There Is Something Seriously Wrong with an Investing Strategy That Compels [s]Those[/s] A Mentally Ill Internet Troll Seeking to ?Defend? It to Destroy [s]Their[/s] His Own [s]Lives[/s] Life and the Lives of [s]their Friends.[/s] His Family."

There. Now the headline reflects reality, not the Fantasy World of Hocomania.
Yipee-Ki-O
***** God Member

Postby Yipee-Ki-O » 02/26/14 at 15:15:26

I once had another blogger suggest that I ask J.D.?s help in resolving the problem with the Greaney Goons since he is a leader in the personal finance blogosphere and since there are responsibilities that go with that role. I thought that was a good idea and I asked for J.D.?s help. I asked him to speak out in opposition to the death threats and the tens of thousands of acts of defamation and the board bannings and so on. J.D. elected not to help out.

Rob, there's nothing J.D. can do to help you overcome the profound mental illness which compels you to bleat on an on an on about those and all the other Delusions of Hocomania except to encourage you to seek the psychiatric care you so desperately need! :cry:
Yipee-Ki-O
***** God Member

Postby Yipee-Ki-O » 02/26/14 at 23:51:53

It is no crime to believe in Buy-and-Hold with all your heart and mind and soul and for it to be proven wrong at a later date. It IS a crime to advance death threats and demands for board bannings and tens of thousands of acts of defamation and threats to get academic researchers fired from their jobs as part of an 11-year effort to keep millions of people from learning about errors that were made in studies that those people used to plan their retirements.

I didn?t create this messed-up situation.

"I didn't create this messed-up situation."

Au contraire, our demented [s]little[/s] chubby acquaintance.

Hocus, outside of that strange and delusional Land of Hocomania, a buy-hold-rebalance investment strategy has worked very well for a very large number of people for a very long time. And your made-up claims to the contrary have been proven wrong. And yes, your made-up claims of "death threats" you use to defame others is a crime. Defamation. Your made-up story about an academic researcher's job being threatened by anonymous internet posters may not be a crime but it is utterly and completely ridiculous. And the odyssey you embarked on some 11 years which began with a cockamamie story you made-made up about the existence of some error you claim exists in an SWR study but which you've never been able to point to has been one colossal waste of time.

Hocus, you did indeed create the messed-up situation you find yourself. You and you alone.
Yipee-Ki-O
***** God Member

Postby dab90south » 02/27/14 at 11:39:08

psst.....there is no messed up situation.  the only peeps who visit this forum and post are all retired, with plenty of income and assets for their needs.  the only mess is rob's.  and when he's provided with free advice, he casts it aside, like throwing gold coins in the septic tank because they had the wrong mint date.  or he was handed them all heads side up, and only recognized tails.  

fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go thru life son.
dab90south
***** God Member

Postby Yipee-Ki-O » 02/27/14 at 13:55:51

The fact that the Buy-and-Holders have spent 11 years engaging in hate rather than in sharing with millions of people all of the amazing breakthrough insights we have come up with together is THE ENTIRE STORY.

Yes hocus, the strange saga of the past 11 year period you've spent spamming online personal finance discussion boards and blogs with your Hocomania Routine is THE ENTIRE STORY. And that story is the fascinating case study of the progression of mental illness and multiple personality disorders in one individual; Rob "hocus" Bennett. Reading accounts of psychotic individuals and their behavior from the pages of a professional mental health journal pales in comparison to the daily examination and interaction with you and your psychoses online and in real-time!
Yipee-Ki-O
***** God Member

Postby DRiP_Guy » 02/27/14 at 15:36:43

No wonder Rob never gives specifics about his own portfolio performance:
Coffeehouse (CH) 18-year annualized return = 8.52%
VII 18-year annualized return = 7.93%

So it appears that adjusting the stock allocation for the Coffeehouse Portfolio in response to big price changes did not produce higher returns. The valuation-adjusted returns were 7.93% annualized over the 18 year period from 1991 through 2008. This is lower than the unmodified Coffeehouse annualized returns of 8.52% over the same period.

To repeat, the Coffeehouse Portfolio maintained a static, never-changing stock allocation of 60% over the full period. By contrast, the valuation-adjusted Coffeehouse added TBM in response to big price changes as occurred in 1993 and thus reduced its stock allocation to 25% and maintained that lowered stock allocation from 1993 through 2008.

http://moneyandsuch.blogspot.com/2009/0 ... ormed.html
DRiP_Guy
***** God Member

Next

Return to The Best of Hoco-mania