Lies, Damn Lies, and Hocomania pt 79

Can retiring early make you crazy? Get the latest news from the world of Hoco-mania. Surprising insights on arithmetic, imagined 'death threats', message board administration, and the merits of leaving a high-paying job only to pursue sub-minimum wage work in retirement to make ends meet. For more on Hocomania see Rob Bennett, author of Passion Saving.

Re: Lies, Damn Lies, and Hocomania pt 79

Postby PinkUnicorn » 05/08/17 at 11:35:03

I think it is a little silly to think that we will not be seeing a middle-class income coming in following the next price crash.

Uhmmmmmm.......Rob.....you had a middle-class income but you decided to stop working. If you want to have a middle-class income again, you need to go get a job. What is silly is to rely on a fairytale outcome to provide income for you and your family.
PinkUnicorn

Postby PinkUnicorn » 05/08/17 at 12:12:06

How much do you think the people of the United States will determine it was worth for someone to hang in there for 15 years and do the work that was needed to open up that flood of good stuff? I have a funny feeling that there won’t be a single person saying that it was not worth a lot more than $500 million. So I am not too worried about whether I will be able to cover my bills or not once we get to the other side together and leave the nasty stuff behind us and take this thing in a positive and life-affirming direction.

I would say that you would be lucky to have anyone say it is even worth 5 cents. Also, I don't know of anyone that would describe your internet trolling as "work".
PinkUnicorn

Postby PinkUnicorn » 05/08/17 at 14:15:58

I am extremely humbled that I was chosen (by God or Evolution or whatever it is that you believe does the choosing) to be the one to carry out this important work

Rob, I don't think God told you to quit your job and troll the internet.

Perhaps you should read 2Thessalonians 3:10
PinkUnicorn

Postby Yipee-Ki-O » 05/14/17 at 22:44:54

I know from my experience on the internet over the past 15 years that there are thousands of my fellow humans who feel the same way or who at least are far enough along in their thinking in that direction to want to explore the question with me in an environment in which people can talk things over in a peaceful and friendly and civil and intelligent manner.

Why aren't these "thousands" of your fellow humans exploring the question at the Plop where you censor any and all comments which don't support your Lucky Seven agenda? I'll answer that question for you. It's because those "thousands" of people are just another delusional fantasy conjured up in your addled brain. People don't post at the Plop because they realize that any attempt to talk things over in a peaceful and friendly and civil and intelligent manner with a narcissistic, passive-aggressive, mentally ill internet troll and Habitual Liar is an exercise in futility.
Yipee-Ki-O
***** God Member

Postby PinkUnicorn » 05/19/17 at 13:15:01

I consider myself an expert in this field only in relative terms to someone like Bogle. I have incorporated Shiller’s findings into the Valuation-Informed Indexing model. So I am decades ahead of Bogle and anyone else who continues to recommend Buy-and-Hold strategies to this day.

Rob,

You are not even fit to shine Jack Bogle's shoes. Decades ahead??? You are insane to think you are ahead of anyone. In fact the guy that works the counter at McDonalds is way ahead of you.
PinkUnicorn

Postby Yipee-Ki-O » 05/19/17 at 14:15:54

PinkUnicorn wrote:
I consider myself an expert in this field only in relative terms to someone like Bogle. I have incorporated Shiller’s findings into the Valuation-Informed Indexing model. So I am decades ahead of Bogle and anyone else who continues to recommend Buy-and-Hold strategies to this day.

Rob,

You are not even fit to shine Jack Bogle's shoes. Decades ahead??? You are insane to think you are ahead of anyone. In fact the guy that works the counter at McDonalds is way ahead of you.

Hocus is like a little piece of j-paper stuck on the sole of Jack Bogle's shoes. Or something even more disgusting.
Yipee-Ki-O
***** God Member

Postby PinkUnicorn » 05/22/17 at 12:04:54

If you had to name the top 10 investing thought leaders today, who would be on that list and how would you rank them?

1) Robert Shiller (Nobel prize winner despite having failed to take his meds for over three decades now)

2) Jack Bogle (it was Bogle’s book that revealed to me the errors in the Buy-and-Hold retirement studies, making possible the post that kicked off The Great SWR Debate)

3) John Walter Russell (no longer with us in person but the many powerful insights explored at his web site remain available to all open to an amazing learning experience)

4) Warren Buffett (Buffett and Bogle go together like chocolate and peanut butter — the dreamy result is a concoction going by the name of “Valuation-Informed Indexing”)

5) Rob Arnott (this guy has balls — there’s precious few in this field that one can say that about — balls matter)

6) Jeremy Siegel (I do not agree with many of his conclusions but I see great power in his approach of focusing on analysis of the historical return data, an approach that he has popularized more than anyone else around)

7) Bill Bernstein (Chapter Two of his book “The Four Pillars of Investing” is the best concise explanation of why Valuation-Informed Indexing is the future that I have discovered)

8) Andrew Smithers (brave, smart, patient, kind — all of the big human virtues bundled together in one wonderful human being — can he be real?)

9) Wade Pfau (someday gonna see that this fellow is awarded the Nobel prize that he has very much earned with his fine research despite the “confusion” of recent years)

10) That fellow with 340 columns at the Value Walk site on this crazy Valuation-Informed Indexing concept that we all keep hearing about from time to time while we try so hard to force the idea out of our consciousness, I can’t quite recall his name, I think I have blocked it out because he makes me so freakin’ angry that I just want to reach through the computer screen and strangle the guy’s neck)

Humble Rob

Of course hocus couldn't resist responding to this post during a game of Poke-The-Troll!

Putting hocus (and JWR for that matter) on this top 10 list would be like putting my dear departed 5'2" grandmother on the all time top 10 list of NBA players.
PinkUnicorn

Postby Yipee-Ki-O » 06/06/17 at 20:43:11

Thought I'd post this comment to the Plop since hocus doesn't permit any honest posting there.

"Long-Term Investors and Valuation-Based Asset Allocation"

https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm ... id=2544636

Acknowledgements: Though market-timing strategies are specifically contrary to John Bogle's
investment philosophy, the author is extremely indebted to suggestions and reading
recommendations provided by countless users in the threads 'Any Studies on Long-term Market
Timing?' and „Valuation-based market timing with PE10 can improve returns?‟ at the Bogleheads
Forum. I am also grateful to Rob Bennett for motivating this investigation, and to financial
support from the Japan Society for the Promotion of Science Grants-in-Aid for Young Scientists
(B) #23730272.

Rob, as you can see in the Acknowledgements section of Wade's paper you are mention as having motivated Wade's interest in Valuation-Based Investing but there's no mention of you having "co-authored" the paper. That's because you did not. Your claim otherwise merely confirms your status as a Habitual Liar. As does your false allegation that Wade was "threatened." Wade of course has already addressed that particular HocoFantasy:

"Dear Vivek,

I understand that Rob Bennett has sucked you into his drama. I'm Wade
Pfau, the academic researcher who has allegedly been threatened. In
writing about your tweet at his blog today, Rob even wrote, "(A number
of Buy-and-Holders threatened to send defamatory e-mails to Wade’s
employer in an effort to get him fired from his job for the “crime” of
having published research showing the dangers of Buy-and-Hold
investing strategies and several big names in the field [including
Vanguard Founder John Bogle] failed to take action against those
advancing the threats, thereby implicitly encouraging them [I have
sent Bogle four e-mails asking for his help with the matter])"

I can assure you that this is all part of Rob's vast mythology in
which he seeks to make himself into a super hero fighting the evils of
Wall Street. It isn't true. Rob magnified a very minor situation by
10,000x. The entire story he developed is based on the one minor
comment found here at the start of this discussion board thread:

http://boards.fool.com/hocus-gets-colle ... sort=whole

"I hope this doesn't ruin that guy's chances for tenure."

That's it. He imagined all of the subsequent details.

At any rate, I did indeed publish the studies which Rob claims I am
afraid to publish. There is no issue. The main study is this one:

http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1 ... 011.648317

Rob lives in an imaginary world of death threats and threatened
academic researchers and so on, as you would discover if you waste
time reading what he writes. Just thought I'd let you know, straight
from the horse's mouth.

Best wishes, Wade"

"I earned the $500 million, Anonymous. You saw the reaction that the the research that I co-authored with Wade got at the Bogleheads Forum.I have a funny feeling that you wouldn’t have threatened Wade if you didn’t see that it was the most important piece of research published in this field in the last three decades. So I think we are in general agreement (even if you won’t acknowledge it) that I earned the money."

Oh, and your closing HocoFantasy/Delusion about there being general agreement that you have "earned" the $500 million settlement is just HocoHogwash. There is however general agreement that Rob Hocus No Step 2 Bennett is a narcissistic, passive-aggressive, mentally ill internet troll and a Habitual Liar.
Yipee-Ki-O
***** God Member

Postby Sensible Investor » 08/26/17 at 09:15:39

http://arichlife.passionsaving.com/2017 ... rank-them/

Interesting to see fellow troll John Walter Russell at #3 ranked above luminaries like Warren Buffett and Wade P. LOL
Sensible Investor

Postby Yipee-Ki-O » 08/26/17 at 11:12:28

Wade wasn't too enamored with the "work" of hokum's Deceased Pensioner Trolling Pal John Walter Russell as can be seen in this email to the hocotroll:

Usually I can figure out the Rob-logic behind what you are thinking, but I really don’t know how you think you come out of this whole episode looking like the good guy. I guess it is because you think you are saving my soul and putting me back on the path of righteousness, or something, huh? If only you had the power to do a little bit of self reflection…

Now that the whole email history is on display, we have the reminder of how angry you got at the very beginning when I referred to you as dogmatic. Yet, look at the way you’ve treated me for disagreeing with you on something which you don’t even understand. You quote numbers from JWR’s statistical work, but I’m not sure if you can even distinguish a mean from a median. So how can you be sure his work is right? I don’t know either, as I never did get around to digging into it, and I doubt I ever will now. But I’m not sure how a properly calculated lower confidence bound for a 2000 retiree could have been higher than zero.

Had Wade taken time digging into the doddering old fool's "work" he would have found nothing but long lists of random numbers and made-up return sequences. In other words, Bat$hit Crazy Hocomania with a numerical flavor.
Yipee-Ki-O
***** God Member

Previous

Return to The Best of Hoco-mania