Lies, Damn Lies, and Hocomania pt 79

Can retiring early make you crazy? Get the latest news from the world of Hoco-mania. Surprising insights on arithmetic, imagined 'death threats', message board administration, and the merits of leaving a high-paying job only to pursue sub-minimum wage work in retirement to make ends meet. For more on Hocomania see Rob Bennett, author of Passion Saving.

Re: Lies, Damn Lies, and Hocomania pt 79

Postby Yipee-Ki-O » 03/28/17 at 11:34:08

How can I even describe how important a role Wade Pfau played? Can you imagine a boy who grew up in Northeast Philadelphia who didn’t even major in Economics co-authoring the most important peer-reviewed research published in his lifetime?

Well hocus, we'll just have to imagine it since it didn't happen.

What are the odds of that happening?

Well hocus, I'd say the odds are ZERO since you didn't "co-author" any paper with Wade, you only fantasized that you did.

Would I have even believed it had happened after it happened if I didn’t have hundreds of e-mails in my possession in which a fellow with a Ph.D. in economics was giving positive feedback on my explorations of every issue and telling me how my work had changed his life and was going to in days ahead change the lives of millions?

Well hocus, an unbiased read of those emails would show Wade being far too nice for his own good as he desperately but ever so politely tried to extricate himself from his entanglement with the narcissistic, passive-aggressive, mentally ill internet troll and Habitual Liar Rob "hocus" Bennett.
Yipee-Ki-O
***** God Member

Postby Yipee-Ki-O » 03/28/17 at 17:06:12

I am very proud of the work that I have done, Anonymous. Yes, I have played the lead role in getting the most important advance in the history of personal finance written up on the front page of the New York Times. Telling investors how to reduce stock investing risk by 70 while doing away with economic crises is a very big deal and my name is all over the story.

Hocus, you haven't done any work. You've played a leading role in propagating Bat$hit Crazy hocomania in lieu of working for a living. Your delusions of grandeur regarding personal finance show you are Crazier than a $hithouse Rat! The only thing your name is all over is Catastrophically Unproductive. :roll:
Yipee-Ki-O
***** God Member

Postby Yipee-Ki-O » 03/29/17 at 20:47:50

Given that journalism is your work and you lack any investment training or background and that you also admit you are not a numbers guy, it explains why you have not had any success, lack credibility and are also wrong on the issues given your lack of understanding.

Actually, it explains why I couldn’t be corrupted. Those who devoted their lives to building careers in the investing advice field have families to feed whose lives depend on their remaining on good terms with the Wall Street Con Men. The job of a journalist is to EXPOSE con men. So taking on this sort of abuse is right up the alley of what I was taught one has to do to succeed in my chosen profession. And the fact that I am a journalist who in an earlier part of his life in journalism studied how to achieve financial freedom early in life gave me another huge edge here. The law degree that I earned so that I could be a more effective journalist didn’t hurt either. And of course I happened to be born at the time when this new communications medium, which provides lots of powerful tools for exposing massive cons, was coming into existence.

Hocus, you aren't a journalist...you're an internet troll. An unemployed internet troll. An unemployed internet troll with a law degree. What a Catastrophically Unproductive waste of a life.
Yipee-Ki-O
***** God Member

Postby ataloss » 04/02/17 at 21:18:14

I have thins image of Rob singing "my way" seems very sad to me
ataloss
***** God Member

Postby Yipee-Ki-O » 04/04/17 at 11:00:42

I believe that a good number of you Goons will be going to prison following the next crash, Sammy. I have been saying that for years now, ever since you threatened to destroy Wade Pfau’s career if he continued to tell people about the peer-reviwed research paper that he and I wrote together.

Threaten Wade's Career?

Wade has previously addressed this HocoFantasy:

Hi Rob,

I forgot that I was still saying things like this even 2 weeks after the initial incident.

This was more than a year ago now, but I am thinking that I was just trying to explain politely to you that I’d rather have you quit writing about me, or at least stop using my name. I suppose that I figured the only way you might understand why is if I explained it in terms of your favorite conspiracy theories.

I will make one more attempt at a reality check for you. You go on and on about how I allegedly lack personal integrity because I allowed the Goons to threaten me into silence.

The reality is that though I may have for a brief moment got a bit too caught up in YOUR drama, I do not have any fears about the Goons.

The reality is that you are causing me 1000x more career damage than the Goons ever could have by filling Google with so much nonsense about me, and sharing embarrassing private details such as my overly ambitious journal submission strategies, etc. Those in particular are highly private. People don’t publicly share where they submit articles to unless those articles are accepted. You’ve violated my trust in so many countless ways and yet you still proclaim to be my friend.

And the further reality is that if I *did* lack personal integrity, I could have made this all stop just by saying the meaningless sentence you want so desperately to hear: “I think the errors in the traditional safe withdrawal rate studies must be corrected by using Rob’s analytically valid method.”

But I don’t believe that. I do not believe you have offered a valid correction to the safe withdrawal rate question. And I believe that retirement income strategies go much further than the question of a safe withdrawal rate. And so that is why I’ve had to endure your ongoing harassment for months on end now.

Usually I can figure out the Rob-logic behind what you are thinking, but I really don’t know how you think you come out of this whole episode looking like the good guy. I guess it is because you think you are saving my soul and putting me back on the path of righteousness, or something, huh? If only you had the power to do a little bit of self reflection…

Now that the whole email history is on display, we have the reminder of how angry you got at the very beginning when I referred to you as dogmatic. Yet, look at the way you’ve treated me for disagreeing with you on something which you don’t even understand. You quote numbers from JWR’s statistical work, but I’m not sure if you can even distinguish a mean from a median. So how can you be sure his work is right? I don’t know either, as I never did get around to digging into it, and I doubt I ever will now. But I’m not sure how a properly calculated lower confidence bound for a 2000 retiree could have been higher than zero.

Rob, suppose the stock market does drop 65% as you are expecting. It might happen, who knows.

Step 1: Stock Market Drops 65%

Step 2: ??

Step 3: Rob wins $500 million settlement from the Goons, the Goons are sent to prison, the investing public learns about and adopts VII.

What is Step 2? There isn’t one. You will still be in the same position as you’ve been in for the last 10 years. Why didn’t something happen for you after the 2008 financial crisis? You are like the guy who keeps predicting new ends for the world as each previous prediction date passes by.

That is why I’m telling you, from one human being to another, that it is time to move on. You are a smart guy, and you could use your talents for something productive. While warning people about the 4% rule is helpful, the way that you go about doing it is rather “catastrophically unproductive” as one wise fellow said to you years ago. I provide a loud voice that is critical of the 4% rule, and so spending your days assassinating my character is counterproductive to your underlying cause. So perhaps you can start fresh with a new issue of social import that carries less baggage for you. What happened in the past is a sunk cost, but you still have a chance to turn things around and start afresh today. And you can do all of this while still being honest and true to yourself.

Paper you and Wade wrote together?

The name Rob Bennett does not include your name as "co-author."
Yipee-Ki-O
***** God Member

Postby Yipee-Ki-O » 04/13/17 at 13:19:31

John Greaney has a Buy-and-Hold retirement study at his web site. He employed the same methodology as is used in all Buy-and-Hold retirement studies — that is, he did not include an adjustment for the valuation level that applies on the day the retirement begins. So he got all the numbers wrong. In 2000, the safe withdrawal rate was 1.6 percent real. He said that it was 4 percent real. People who relied on that study to plan their retirements have been hurt in very serious ways. The odds of a retirement which began in 2000 and that employed a 4 percent withdrawal surviving for 30 years are 30 percent.

How do we solve that problem? How do we get accurate retirement information out to the millions of middle-class people who need it?

Hocus, obviously after all these years there's nothing anyone can do to help you understand John Greaney's SWR study. Or the Trinity SWR study. Both studies encompassed all valuation levels present for the periods of time studied. You seem unable to comprehend that the future might be different from the past. Not to worry, normal people understand this concept. It's only the narcissistic, passive-aggressive, mentally ill internet troll and Habitual Liar Rob "hocus" Bennett who does not.
Yipee-Ki-O
***** God Member

Postby PinkUnicorn » 04/20/17 at 18:53:13

The discussion here is about your prison sentence. That is the thing that I am suggesting you “let go.” Do I ever bring up your prison sentence? I don’t deny that I believe you are going to prison when you ask me about it. But the only time it ever comes up is when you ask me. If you stop asking about it, I think it would be fair to say that it would be a long. long time before I would mention it again.

Does that work for you? It sure works for me.

First of all Rob, the discussion here is about your insanity. Secondly, the only one bringing up stupid stories about prison is you. You seem to somehow think it will scare people into agreeing with you. Instead, it just adds to your long history of insane comments.

What you need is the help of a mental health professional. DOES THAT WORK FOR YOU??? I am sure it would work wonders for your family.
PinkUnicorn

Postby PinkUnicorn » 04/21/17 at 13:52:09

If you do work in the personal finance field, as I do.............

Uhm.......Rob.....first of all, you don't work. That has been the problem since day 1 for your family as they have had to suffer from your lack of adequate financial support. Secondly, you are not in "the personal finance field". At best, you are just an annoying internet troll.
PinkUnicorn

Postby Yipee-Ki-O » 04/22/17 at 22:28:34

The shift from Buy-and-Hold to Valuation-Informed Indexing is the biggest advance in the history of personal finance by a very big margin, Anonymous. Of that much I am certain. That’s not quite the equivalent of achieving world peace. But it’s no small thing.

Hocus, the only thing that is certain is that you are a narcissistic, passive-aggressive, mentally ill internet troll and a Habitual Liar. Your delusion that you have discovered the Holy Grail of Investing in the form of PE10 is indeed a small thing. It's nothing but Bat$hit Crazy hocomania.

If you do work in the personal finance field, as I do, you are not aiming to achieve world peace or a cure for cancer. You are aiming to help millions of middle-class people achieve safe retirements far sooner than had ever before been possible. Valuation-Informed Indexing pulls that off. So I offer no apologies for being the lead developer and the lead promoter of this amazing advance for 15 years now.

Hocus, you don't "work" in the personal finance field, you troll in the personal finance field. Lucky Seven is no amazing advance. It's just a bunch of Bat$hit Crazy hocomania which you've been peddling for some 15 years now. It's of no use for anyone, especially your long-suffering family. Your schtick has become so dreadfully stale that it no longer offers much entertainment value to the few HocoResearchers who still follow you. The interest in you and your delusions is at an all time low. More and more it appears that hocomania ends with a whimper.
Yipee-Ki-O
***** God Member

Postby Yipee-Ki-O » 04/23/17 at 14:02:33

Fantasy...

Rob says
April 20, 2017 at 4:46 pm
Your jury will hear the entire story, Anonymous. They will learn about what Wade said in scores and scores of e-mails before you threatened him. And they will hear what he said following your threats. Then they will decide on the length of your prison sentence.

Does not that way of handling it make perfect sense?

Rob

Reality...

Hi Rob,

I forgot that I was still saying things like this even 2 weeks after the initial incident.

This was more than a year ago now, but I am thinking that I was just trying to explain politely to you that I’d rather have you quit writing about me, or at least stop using my name. I suppose that I figured the only way you might understand why is if I explained it in terms of your favorite conspiracy theories.

I will make one more attempt at a reality check for you. You go on and on about how I allegedly lack personal integrity because I allowed the Goons to threaten me into silence.

The reality is that though I may have for a brief moment got a bit too caught up in YOUR drama, I do not have any fears about the Goons.

The reality is that you are causing me 1000x more career damage than the Goons ever could have by filling Google with so much nonsense about me, and sharing embarrassing private details such as my overly ambitious journal submission strategies, etc. Those in particular are highly private. People don’t publicly share where they submit articles to unless those articles are accepted. You’ve violated my trust in so many countless ways and yet you still proclaim to be my friend.

And the further reality is that if I *did* lack personal integrity, I could have made this all stop just by saying the meaningless sentence you want so desperately to hear: “I think the errors in the traditional safe withdrawal rate studies must be corrected by using Rob’s analytically valid method.”

But I don’t believe that. I do not believe you have offered a valid correction to the safe withdrawal rate question. And I believe that retirement income strategies go much further than the question of a safe withdrawal rate. And so that is why I’ve had to endure your ongoing harassment for months on end now.

Usually I can figure out the Rob-logic behind what you are thinking, but I really don’t know how you think you come out of this whole episode looking like the good guy. I guess it is because you think you are saving my soul and putting me back on the path of righteousness, or something, huh? If only you had the power to do a little bit of self reflection…

Now that the whole email history is on display, we have the reminder of how angry you got at the very beginning when I referred to you as dogmatic. Yet, look at the way you’ve treated me for disagreeing with you on something which you don’t even understand. You quote numbers from JWR’s statistical work, but I’m not sure if you can even distinguish a mean from a median. So how can you be sure his work is right? I don’t know either, as I never did get around to digging into it, and I doubt I ever will now. But I’m not sure how a properly calculated lower confidence bound for a 2000 retiree could have been higher than zero.

Rob, suppose the stock market does drop 65% as you are expecting. It might happen, who knows.

Step 1: Stock Market Drops 65%

Step 2: ??

Step 3: Rob wins $500 million settlement from the Goons, the Goons are sent to prison, the investing public learns about and adopts VII.

What is Step 2? There isn’t one. You will still be in the same position as you’ve been in for the last 10 years. Why didn’t something happen for you after the 2008 financial crisis? You are like the guy who keeps predicting new ends for the world as each previous prediction date passes by.

That is why I’m telling you, from one human being to another, that it is time to move on. You are a smart guy, and you could use your talents for something productive. While warning people about the 4% rule is helpful, the way that you go about doing it is rather “catastrophically unproductive” as one wise fellow said to you years ago. I provide a loud voice that is critical of the 4% rule, and so spending your days assassinating my character is counterproductive to your underlying cause. So perhaps you can start fresh with a new issue of social import that carries less baggage for you. What happened in the past is a sunk cost, but you still have a chance to turn things around and start afresh today. And you can do all of this while still being honest and true to yourself.
Yipee-Ki-O
***** God Member

Postby Yipee-Ki-O » 04/23/17 at 16:04:06

That ongoing harassment has been extended for years on end.
Yipee-Ki-O
***** God Member

Postby PinkUnicorn » 04/24/17 at 09:11:21

It depends on how you define success, Sammy. I have had thousands of my fellow community members tell me that they learned more about how stock investing works from me than from anyone else they have ever known. I have had some of the biggest names in this field tell me that they view my site as the best investing site on the internet. I have my name on a research paper that was published in a peer-reviewed journal and that says things that, if true, make it the most important piece of research published in this field in my lifetime.

Rob,

The "thousands" are just a figment of your imagination. Secondly, you are not an author of any paper. These are just two to the many lies you repeat on a regular basis.

We all know what success means. It is a track record of successful investing so that we are able to have adequate financial resources when we retire. With this as a measure, you have been a total failure.
PinkUnicorn

Postby Yipee-Ki-O » 04/24/17 at 11:20:12

PinkUnicorn wrote:
It depends on how you define success, Sammy. I have had thousands of my fellow community members tell me that they learned more about how stock investing works from me than from anyone else they have ever known. I have had some of the biggest names in this field tell me that they view my site as the best investing site on the internet. I have my name on a research paper that was published in a peer-reviewed journal and that says things that, if true, make it the most important piece of research published in this field in my lifetime.

Rob,

The "thousands" are just a figment of your imagination. Secondly, you are not an author of any paper. These are just two to the many lies you repeat on a regular basis.

We all know what success means. It is a track record of successful investing so that we are able to have adequate financial resources when we retire. With this as a measure, you have been a total failure.

Rob has a long history of Magical Thinking whereby he believes if he just repeats the same falsehood enough times it will somehow magically become true. He is mistaken.
Yipee-Ki-O
***** God Member

Previous

Return to The Best of Hoco-mania