What is Rob's net worth?

Rob's vision of "honest and informed debate" doesn't include answering simple and straightforward questions put to him. The unanswered questions cataloged here are an important part of Rob Bennett's Passion Saving, Hocomania.

Moderator: tmeri

What is Rob's net worth?

Postby DRiP_Guy » 07/05/08 at 19:58:21

As of 1 April 2007, this was Rob's public assessment of his Net Worth:
Today Bennett's total net worth, including the value of his house, which is paid off, is about $850,000. ''My hope is that in time the writing business will generate a large enough income to get me over $1,000,000,'' he wrote in an e-mail message.

Bennett also pointed out that so-called middle-class millionaires-to whom he dedicates a the Finding Life Purpose section of his Website-figure out that having money in the bank means having power.

''You've got to have some power or you're not going to get done with your life what you want to get done. Money is power, choices, opportunities,'' he said.

This article is courtesy of Payscale.com
Visit their website at: blogs.payscale.com

I think he valued his home at that time at about $650,000 (even though we recently have seen that it has no takers at $150,000 less than that).

Now, my math says:

$850K
-$650K
_____
$200K cash

as of a year and a half ago.

Given that his WR seemed to be ~38-40K, that would put him at ~$140K cash, and a 998 sq/ft 90 year old home that he apparently can't sell, as of July 2008.

(This is all less any inheritance he refuses to disclose, of course)

I don't think I'll ?be putting my retirement on the Hocoplan, especially his stated reliance on earning money as a writer, when he has failed to sell any books of consequence, nor earn any income, outside of the one time miracle 15K windfall from TMF at the peak of the bubble back in 2000.
Robert Michael "Hocus" Bennett, October 22, 2010: "I have been living off my savings for 10 years"
DRiP_Guy
***** God Member

Re: What is Rob's net worth?

Postby DRiP_Guy » 07/05/08 at 20:03:54

plonkee on July 2nd, 2008 9:45 pm

@thunker:
Thanks for your comments. Although I try to ensure that guest posters are on the level, sometimes they don?t turn out to be as good as I hope. On the other hand, whilst the poster may be questionable, the post itself can be ok, and at least provide a point for discussion.

I?m grateful that for the comments pointing out some of the more *interesting* aspects of this particular writer, and I?m not planning on using them again. I hope you?ll stop by again soon.

http://plonkee.com/2008/05/27/guest-pos ... -is-death/
Robert Michael "Hocus" Bennett, October 22, 2010: "I have been living off my savings for 10 years"
DRiP_Guy
***** God Member

Postby DRiP_Guy » 07/05/08 at 20:13:53

Rob Bennet, July 3 2008:
It would make me sick to think that there was somebody out there who had changed his or her investing strategy based solely on something I said.

Rob the Nut

http://genxfinance.com/2008/06/03/price ... ment-78258

Us too.

:lol:
DRiP_Guy
***** God Member

Postby Schroeder » 07/05/08 at 20:14:10

@thunker:
Thanks for your comments. Although I try to ensure that guest posters are on the level, sometimes they don?t turn out to be as good as I hope. On the other hand, whilst the poster may be questionable, the post itself can be ok, and at least provide a point for discussion.

I?m grateful that for the comments pointing out some of the more *interesting* aspects of this particular writer, and I?m not planning on using them again. I hope you?ll stop by again soon.

You can fool some of the people some of the time . . .

Schroeder
Proud Member of the Financial Freedom Community!
Schroeder
***** God Member

Postby DRiP_Guy » 07/05/08 at 20:17:35

posted 3/11/07 @ 12:31 PM MST

Please Google "Rob Bennett" + 'liar'.

Rob Bennett is nothing but a paid quote machine, and will say anything in order to get his name in print. Your use of him as a quote source reflects terribly on your judgment and editorial standards. (Continued?)

http://media.www.ecollegetimes.com/medi ... 0123.shtml
DRiP_Guy
***** God Member

Postby DRiP_Guy » 07/05/08 at 20:22:47

Schroeder wrote:

@thunker:

You can fool some of the people some of the time . . .

Schroeder

he he he

I'm thinking Rob may be losing even that ability...

:lol:
DRiP_Guy
***** God Member

Postby hocus2009 » 07/06/08 at 02:46:59

I?m grateful that for the comments pointing out some of the more *interesting* aspects of this particular writer, and I?m not planning on using them again.

Yucko!

Plonkee should be ashamed of himself for writing those words. Those words encourage this particular Smear Campaign and in a general sense encourage the launching of even more Smear Campaigns on the internet, something those of us trying to use this new communications medium for positive purposes very much do not need.

I am grateful to Plonkee for the opportunity he provided to initiate a learning experience at his blog. It is clear from the comments posted that a learning experience was in fact enjoyed. That he would want to do anything whatsoever to advance the ugliness of this Smear Campaign amazes and astounds me. I see it as 100 percent downside and zero upside. It smells and it smells real, real, real bad.

Triple Yucko!

And, no, I am still not willing to post dishonestly on the safe withdrawal rate matter.

Rob
If you cherish lying and ruining internet communities as much as I do, please support me by buying many copies of my vanity book. Your children will love budget sex and your purchase is tax deductible (Schedule A: casualty loss).

Luvya Boo! Please come back. I'm on TV now! A big star. Just like you wanted.
hocus2009
***** God Member

Postby DRiP_Guy » 07/06/08 at 07:22:52

hocus2009 wrote:I?m grateful that for the comments pointing out some of the more *interesting* aspects of this particular writer, and I?m not planning on using them again.

Yucko!

Plonkee should be ashamed of himself for writing those words. Those words encourage this particular Smear Campaign and in a general sense encourage the launching of even more Smear Campaigns on the internet, something those of us trying to use this new communications medium for positive purposes very much do not need.

I am grateful to Plonkee for the opportunity he provided to initiate a learning experience at his blog. It is clear from the comments posted that a learning experience was in fact enjoyed. That he would want to do anything whatsoever to advance the ugliness of this Smear Campaign amazes and astounds me. I see it as 100 percent downside and zero upside. It smells and it smells real, real, real bad.

Triple Yucko!

And, no, I am still not willing to post dishonestly on the safe withdrawal rate matter.

Rob

I just gave 'em ten bucks, and he folded like wet cardboard.

Easy.

A guy like yourself who pays $99 to get quoted in the papers to push your book should understand the mechanics of economic Goonism pretty well -- after all, you are the OG - Original Goon, having invaded 15 boards and attempting to hold them hostage until they admitted your valueless crap ought to be heard, to the exception of anyone else, and that you should be promoted to "Board General" and act like you did on SeWeR....

Well, now you have the Plop and here. Enjoy!
;)
DRiP_Guy
***** God Member

Postby hocus2009 » 07/06/08 at 13:37:03

I just gave 'em ten bucks, and he folded like wet cardboard.

Do I believe that the Greaney goons would try such a thing? I do.

Do I believe that Plonkee is open to doing such a thing? I do not.

The Greaney goons are special people. I think that much is fair to say.

Rob
If you cherish lying and ruining internet communities as much as I do, please support me by buying many copies of my vanity book. Your children will love budget sex and your purchase is tax deductible (Schedule A: casualty loss).

hocus2009
***** God Member

Postby DRiP_Guy » 07/06/08 at 13:56:04

hocus2009 wrote:I just gave 'em ten bucks, and he folded like wet cardboard.

Do I believe that the Greaney goons would try such a thing? I do.

Do I believe that Plonkee is open to doing such a thing? I do not.

The Greaney goons are special people. I think that much is fair to say.

Rob

Answer the thread starter, Rob --

* What is your actual net worth?
* How much of that is the illiquid inflated value of the house you seem unable to sell?
* What's your withdrawal rate?
DRiP_Guy
***** God Member

Postby hocus2009 » 07/06/08 at 14:55:56

No matter what answer I put forward to your questions, I would afterwards continue to postzzz honestly on the SWR matter.

So you would continue with the Campaign of Terror against the Retire Early/Indexing communities.

So no construtive purpose would be served.

My answer to your questions and to any other intimidation tactics you employ is that I strongly believe that honestzzz posting on the SWR matter should be permitted at all of our boards. But you already knew that, didn't you?

Rob

hocus2009
***** God Member

Postby DRiP_Guy » 07/06/08 at 17:43:08

hocus2009 wrote:No matter what answer I put forward to your questions, I would afterwards continue to postzzz honestly on the SWR matter.

So you would continue with the Campaign of Terror against the Retire Early/Indexing communities.

So no constructive purpose would be served.

My answer to your questions and to any other intimidation tactics you employ is that I strongly believe that honestzzz posting on the SWR matter should be permitted at all of our boards. But you already knew that, didn't you?

Rob

As I said a few days ago, a perfect psychosis has to be a self reinforcing closed loop. Hocus qualifies:

"I can't ever answer your questions because any answer will not ?stop the 'campaign of terror' that only I know about, so I therefore will not answer any questions until the [imaginary] 'campaign of terror' stops. [but since it doesn't exist, no proof of it's demise could ever be proffered] "

Yes, I can see why you come here to participate then.... uh... wait a minute... why would that be, Rob?

Oh, that's right -- to see yourself in print on the web. I momentarily forgot your hard-wiring: "Any attention, even negative attention ?beats being ignored."

Let's assume there IS a 'campaign of Terror, Rob.

Wouldn't you answering questions politely, completely, and truthfully, and explaining your scheme give hope to those millions of people hiding in silent fear? Even if you can't get us "goons" to stop the 'campaign', could you not stand out as a shining beacon of hope and truth by coming clean on your finances, investments, spending, budget, etc, that you claim in your book others ought to utilize, as you paint yourself as an example?

Forget the Goons, Rob!

Prove you are the bigger man to those millions of aspiring retirees yearning to live free. Show them how your own clever plan is working perfectly!

Post the budget, including all outlays, incomes, sales of shingles, expenses for self-promotion, site-hosting and plop-rebuilding fees, Realtor's fees, etc.

I can see no downside! Do it before close of business today!

[Edited to add:]

Well, okay, I can see a downside, after all. Unless the following supposition is completely inaccurate, Rob is probably much better off staying silent on his own financial position; otherwise that would be a strong incentive for his potential 'audience' to write him off as a soon-to-be-broke nut job:

$850K
-$650K
_____
$200K cash

as of a year and a half ago.

Given that his WR seemed to be ~38-40K, that would put him at ~$140K cash, and a 998 sq/ft 90 year old home that he apparently can't sell, as of July 2008.

(This is all less any inheritance he refuses to disclose, of course)
DRiP_Guy
***** God Member

Postby DRiP_Guy » 07/06/08 at 18:10:11

If any of us "Goons" are getting paid for our "Campaign of Terror" meant to stop "H0nest P0sting on SWR" then we better be gettin' our resumes tuned up, because as squelchers of free speech, in a word -- we suck.

SWR
chinwhisker
7 hours, 5 minutes ago
Post #2536006
6 Replies

William Bernstein offered a little something on the Safe Withdrawal Rate (SWR), and some thoughts on being flexible.

http://www.efficientfrontier.com/ef/998/hell.htm

http://www.efficientfrontier.com/ef/101/hell101.htm

http://www.efficientfrontier.com/ef/901/hell3.htm

Raddr did a study a good while back that offers some reasoning behind the Harvard and Yale strategies. Just keep in mind these are rear-view mirror projections, and probably the best way to approach this would be to use the 5x20% portfolio as it offers the least risk of being wrong. You also need to cut the expected SWR, as historic returns come from less mature markets.
http://raddr-pages.com/research/CommodityFutures.htm

Commodities would be the major difference between his and Taylor's 4fund portfolio. However, Taylor's 4fund would increase the SWR, mainly the safety of the SWR. You might have noticed how much international diversification helped the SWR from raddr's study;
http://raddr-pages.com/research/Interna ... vesSWR.htm

As a side note, raddr didn't consider the synthetic TIPS in his study. This would have made TIPS more attractive.

Phil DeMuth offers some ideas on this, he, Geoff Considine and Ben Stein came up with as can be found in "Yes, You Can Supercharge Your Portfolio." He offered some ideas on this here;

http://seekingalpha.com/article/63070-a ... lio-theory

http://seekingalpha.com/article/64575-g ... -portfolio

And Geoff here;
http://seekingalpha.com/article/71946-w ... tion-worth

Mebane Faber offered some ideas on the Harvard and Yale type investing here;
http://seekingalpha.com/article/80674-e ... rvard-yale

However far you want to take this, I think Bill Schultheis said it best, "Don't put all your eggs in one basket."

For anyone who has read Bogle's actual words, they might remember his praising Bill's simple little book, and his own offerings of how to invest in managed funds back in 1998;
http://pages.stern.nyu.edu/~adamodar/Ne ... nfunds.htm

And, once again, what I am offering here is the asset allocation. If you choose to use managed funds as opposed to index funds, that is your personal choice, as long as you use the 5Ps, and can hang on to the managed funds when they underperform, and not increase your allocations when they outperform.

Please don't turn this into a index -vs.- managed debate.

The combination of diversification and conservative withdrawal rates will save the investor the concern over markets or "Market conditions."

Considering 4% should be more than safe with a well diversified portfolio, setting yourself up for a 4% withdrawal rate will allow the opportunity to draw more in the good years, as the 4% SWR is based on starting in the worst years.

Chin

http://socialize.morningstar.com/NewSoc ... 36006.aspx

Your post makes me wonder if this modification will work well since the SWR is "based on starting in the worst years".

Stats

The SWR of 4% is based on looking at all retirees, both those who retire in lucky years, just before a market rise, and those who retire in unlucky years, just before a market drop.  By re-retiring each year, you are just guaranteeing that when you finally retire for the last time, it will be in an unlucky year, just before a market drop.  With any luck (sarcasm alert), you will have raised your own risk to a 100% chance of running out of money before death.

Al

Assuming one can handle variable withdrawals, 4% of the portfolio value should work well.

Dale G.  

etc...
DRiP_Guy
***** God Member

Postby DRiP_Guy » 07/06/08 at 18:14:26

Re: The closest to a manifesto we're likely to find:
hmsf4
06-29-2008 8:34 PM
ost #2533934

"Dividend investing allows a higher SWR with less true risk (not just volatility) of running out of money than one based on selling assets every year."

http://socialize.morningstar.com/NewSoc ... 33934.aspx
DRiP_Guy
***** God Member

Postby Schroeder » 07/06/08 at 18:33:39

DRiP Guy wrote:If any of us "Goons" are getting paid for our "Campaign of Terror" meant to stop "H0nest P0sting on SWR" then we better be gettin' our resumes tuned up, because as squelchers of free speech, in a word -- we suck.

Ah, you forget, Drip Guy. There is no h0nest posting by those Diehards because they fail to mention Today's Valuations[sup]TM[/sup]. Seeing that Rob has been banned over there and unable to correct their errors, those Diehards are liable to cause millions of busted retirements.

Not good.

Schroeder :roll:
Proud Member of the Financial Freedom Community!
Schroeder
***** God Member

Next

Return to Simple Questions Rob Bennett Doesn't Answer