What is Rob's SWR?

Rob's vision of "honest and informed debate" doesn't include answering simple and straightforward questions put to him. The unanswered questions cataloged here are an important part of Rob Bennett's Passion Saving, Hocomania.

Moderator: tmeri

What is Rob's SWR?

Postby DRiP_Guy » 05/04/08 at 07:38:42

While dipping my ladle into the rich broth of past Hocomania at SeWeR this morning, I ran across the post below. Rob told us years ago just how vital knowing your SWR was:

Wed Jul 23, 2003 7:57 pm
Post subject: About This Board
[snips]
I have an intense desire to advance the world's knowledge of the realities of SWRs.

The SWR issue is not just something nice for aspiring early retirees to talk about.

SWR analysis is a powerful tool for putting together a FIRE plan.

Because SWRs matter, it makes sense to want to calculate them properly.

The purpose of this board is to help aspiring early retirees learn what they need to know to calculate SWRs properly.

This is an action-oriented board. The goal here is to make things happen.

An SWR is a number.... the number to which we will direct our energies at this board is a special sort of number. Knowing this number liberates you to do new and exciting things with your life. Knowing this magic number sets you free.

I have spent close to three years of my life writing a book on the subject [of saving], so I had better think it is important. But my sense is that this SWR thing holds the potential to become every bit as important as the soft side stuff, possibly even more so.

there is something special about the SWR concept...

The SWR, properly calculated, provides actionable advice... it tells you what will work in the future, presuming that the future turns out to be something like the past.

SWR analysis is not hot air.

SWR analysis is data-based, it's rooted in the hard stuff. It's all about numbers... these are NUMBERS THAT MATTER.. The true SWR is a cool, cool number to know.

The SWR concept is great.

This is the place for selling you on the SWR concept.

Properly calculated, the SWR does these winderful things.

We want the right SWR.

What makes one number right, and another not right? Data.

How do we get data? Through research.

Thus--the SWR Research Group.

OK. It's an adventure we are embarking on. To do what? To change the world.

So, Rob, once again, I will ask a couple of questions that ought to be tattooed on your eyelids, if you believed a single word you wrote, above:

1) What has your actual withdrawal rate been since you "retired"?
2) What is your calculated "SWR" going forward, given your initial 400K nest egg, the withdrawals made, and the allocation you selected? (Oh, and scale for current valuations if you like, too - that is your favorite whipping boy, so use whatever "analytically valid" process you care to, but do tell us your numbers! I can see no downside, can you? Unless you had an undisclosed source of income injection you've been hiding, this should be a piece of cake! Do it before close of business today!)
Robert Michael "Hocus" Bennett, October 22, 2010: "I have been living off my savings for 10 years"
DRiP_Guy
***** God Member

Re: What is Rob's SWR?

Postby ataloss » 05/09/08 at 04:53:10

Properly calculated, the SWR does these winderful things.

:lol: :lol:
Rob, please get help: Loudoun County Mental Health 703-771-5100  I am not a mental health professional. I am not qualified to diagnose or treat. Get help. What do you have to lose? Your current course is catastrophically unproductive.
ataloss
***** God Member

Postby DRiP_Guy » 05/09/08 at 05:04:32

Hmmm, Rob? You still come by here, doncha?

Awfully quiet on the "personal SWR" question, given your speech on it's signal importance to any successful plan...
Robert Michael "Hocus" Bennett, October 22, 2010: "I have been living off my savings for 10 years"
DRiP_Guy
***** God Member

Postby Yipee-Ki-O » 05/12/08 at 13:35:59

It seems the importance of SWR was trumped by Rob's inheritance! ;)
Work is the refuge of those who have nothing better to do, Oscar Wilde
Yipee-Ki-O
***** God Member

Return to Simple Questions Rob Bennett Doesn't Answer