New boards? Or name changes?

Read about the latest happenings of our site!

New boards? Or name changes?

Postby tashina » 09/03/07 at 08:49:33

I was looking at the board structure here and wondering if we need any changes. The two boards without many posts are:
     Real Estate Investing for Early Retirees and Running a S m a l l B u s i n e s s for Early Retirees

Maybe we should change Real Estate Investing for Early Retirees to just plain Investing for Early Retirees? I was looking for a place to post yesterday that would have been in that category, but we don't have anything like that, just one for pre-retirement.

Also, instead of the Running a Small Business board, maybe we could expand it to Activities of Early Retirees. That's a lousy name, but you get the idea. It would be a board for discussing moneymaking and leisure activities of early retirees. Suggestions for volunteering, RV discussions, writing that Great American Novel, etc. Some of those topics cross over with Lifestyle in REHP Political Asylum, Humor, Lifestyle, Near Death Experiences, etc. but that board has been mostly for light conversation. We could have more in depth conversation on the newly named board.

Any other ideas?
tashina
***** God Member

Re: New boards? Or name changes?

Postby DRiP_Guy » 09/03/07 at 08:58:09

I like the ideas, you have my vote!:

* Early Retirement Investing
* Early Retirement Activities

8-)
Robert Michael "Hocus" Bennett, October 22, 2010: "I have been living off my savings for 10 years"
DRiP_Guy
***** God Member

Postby arrete » 09/03/07 at 08:58:37

I was thinking the same thing.   It would be a bit of a challenge, though, because we'd have to move threads, etc. to new sections and stuff.  Maybe you have a better idea of whether that would be tedious or not.

I think an Activities or Lifestyles section would be great.  We could even move all of My Early Retirement Story there.  I definitely vote for fewer and more broad categories.

arrete
Quando omni flunkus moritati.
arrete
***** God Member

Postby DRiP_Guy » 09/03/07 at 09:02:43

arrete wrote:I was thinking the same thing.   It would be a bit of a challenge, though, because we'd have to move threads, etc. to new sections and stuff.  Maybe you have a better idea of whether that would be tedious or not.

I think an Activities or Lifestyles section would be great.  We could even move all of My Early Retirement Story there.  I definitely vote for fewer and more broad categories.

arrete

Yup, seems it might help consolidate the talk and encourage broader thinking/participation in a given thread/topic, but  still have 'buckets' to prevent a total free-for-all.
Robert Michael "Hocus" Bennett, October 22, 2010: "I have been living off my savings for 10 years"
DRiP_Guy
***** God Member

Postby tashina » 09/03/07 at 10:42:34

Well, for the two I suggested, a name change would do because all the posts remaining on the board would be on-topic.

I don't think consolidating would be too hard, but we have to wait to hear from intercst on that.
tashina
***** God Member

Postby intercst » 09/03/07 at 12:34:33

tashina wrote:Well, for the two I suggested, a name change would do because all the posts remaining on the board would be on-topic.

I don't think consolidating would be too hard, but we have to wait to hear from intercst on that.

How would you consolidate? Move threads to another board one-by-one?

intercst
Some people are leaders, some are followers, and a few don't want to join the parade.
intercst
***** God Member

Postby tashina » 09/03/07 at 13:26:57

The number of boards here is fine with me, although I wouldn't add more. If we wanted more, I would consolidate a couple that we already have too.

My main thing would be the name changes on the two boards and that would be easy.

The only specific consolidation that's been suggested (by arrete) is moving the Early Retirement stories to the new or renamed Lifestyles/Activities board. The Story board only has 32 threads so it'd be relatively easy to move posts by post (especially since you can just put checkmarks next to the threads and move them altogether). If you wanted to. I think the Story board stands alone nicely, actually.

It has twice the number of posts in a shorter time frame than the Real Estate board. That's why I thought a name change to the Real Estate board (per my original posts above) would re-invigorate it.
tashina
***** God Member

Postby Orion. » 09/03/07 at 13:55:24

I agree with the two name changes. My own small business has kept me unusually busy these last few months but I expect to get it back on "auto-pilot" soon and then I'll be looking for other amusements.

Volunteering? Traveling? Classes? Part time job in some field I've never ventured into before? I have no idea at the moment.
Seriously, hocus, I don't know if you're really insane or you just believe that acting that way is a good way to get attention.

My closest friends say that it appears to them that's a little bit of both.. -- hocus 2007.
Orion.
***** God Member

Postby Cute Fuzzy Bunny » 09/03/07 at 14:17:28

intercst wrote:
tashina wrote:Well, for the two I suggested, a name change would do because all the posts remaining on the board would be on-topic.

How would you consolidate? Move threads to another board one-by-one?

intercst

Archive the current discussions into a sub-board and make new ones might reduce the work.  I havent administered a YABB board, but the phpbb board I run has the ability to create a forum and then nest everything else under it.  It also lets you select and move multiple messages if keeping the current structure and content is more appealing.

I'm a fan of fewer buckets unless theres a gravity of specific content that creates distractions.  General discussion, investing, lifestyle stuff, and "other"/flamethrower sections.
Cute Fuzzy Bunny

Postby nfs » 09/03/07 at 17:42:49

I suggest that all the Bennett boards be collapsed into one.  There isn't much reason to use that much screen real estate.
All in all you're just another brick in the wall. - Roger Waters
nfs
***** God Member

Postby BigMoneyJim » 09/04/07 at 00:28:16

ned f seagoon wrote:I suggest that all the Bennett boards be collapsed into one.  There isn't much reason to use that much screen real estate.

Not to oppose your suggestion, but FYI you can collapse that entire section by clicking the minus button beside "Can Retiring Early Make You Crazy?". (If you are logged in; this doesn't seem to be an options for guest readers.)
BigMoneyJim
***** God Member

Postby nfs » 09/04/07 at 11:29:03

Never noticed that feature.  Thanks!
All in all you're just another brick in the wall. - Roger Waters
nfs
***** God Member

Postby ataloss » 09/04/07 at 14:25:05

18 boards at this site. Too daunting for me. FWIW I think REITs are part of investing and directly owned real estate is a business.
Rob, please get help: Loudoun County Mental Health 703-771-5100  I am not a mental health professional. I am not qualified to diagnose or treat. Get help. What do you have to lose? Your current course is catastrophically unproductive.
ataloss
***** God Member

Return to News