Site Restore as of Friday Feb 23

Read about the latest happenings of our site!

Site Restore as of Friday Feb 23

Postby intercst » 02/25/07 at 17:25:02

We've been having a problem that tmeri detected. For some reason posts are being slowly deleted from this forum. I'm having my web host do a site restore as of 48 hours ago (Friday, Feb 23) to see if that remedies the problem. Unfortunately, that means that everything that's been posted since Friday will be lost.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

intercst
Some people are leaders, some are followers, and a few don't want to join the parade.
intercst
***** God Member

Re: Site Restore as of Friday Feb 23

Postby tashina » 02/25/07 at 19:21:14

Wonder how that could happen? Let me know if I can help in any way.

Edit: Wonder if the host could be having space trouble?
http://www.yabbforum.com/community/YaBB ... 5913/18#18
tashina
***** God Member

Postby tmeri » 02/25/07 at 19:35:34

Actually, it's not clear whether posts are disappearing, but certainly there is something funny going on with the numbers. Go to hocus's profile and search for the last 5 posts. It says he has made zero posts. That is difficult to believe, though not as difficult to believe as some of the things he's written.

intercst, see your regular email. I sent you some factoids.
Claim to fame -- first ever to win hocus bingo.

Hocus does not have my permission to use my words or stories anywhere, ever.

We have MOVIES!  Financial Freedom Movies
tmeri
***** God Member

Postby intercst » 02/25/07 at 19:35:41

tashina wrote:Wonder how that could happen? Let me know if I can help in any way.

Edit: Wonder if the host could be having space trouble?
http://www.yabbforum.com/community/YaBB ... 5913/18#18

I'm not even using 10% of my storage or bandwith quota, so space isn't a problem.

intercst
Some people are leaders, some are followers, and a few don't want to join the parade.
intercst
***** God Member

Postby tashina » 02/25/07 at 19:51:14

I wasn't talking about your space, but the host's space. Just saw this sentence and thought the host might have had some sort of error in reporting available space:

I logged a problem ticket with my web hoster and unbelieveably they admitted they had indeed experienced disk space problems at the very time of my troubles above!

I looked around the help forum but didn't see much that would help.
tashina
***** God Member

Postby tmeri » 02/25/07 at 20:09:12

intercst, the number of posts listed by your profile just went from 751 to 748 while I was looking at this thread. I clicked on the thread, and your atavar showed 751. I immediately clicked on your profile, and it said 748. Came back to the thread and refreshed, and now your atavar says 748.

So I went back to the main page, and there were no other posts made. It seemed to happen without any obvious change to the database.

tmeri
***** God Member

Postby tashina » 02/25/07 at 20:13:29

I wonder if it would help to do some resets in the database. I can't tell if any posts are actually missing or just being counted wrong. In the Admin section you can:

Recount Board Totals - Counts the topics in each board (and replies in each topic, I think) and updates that
Rebuild Message Index - Updates the topic listing in each board. Useful if a thread goes missing from the board but the files are still there.
Recount Membership - Updates the number of users. Useful if your member totals are wrong.
Rebuild Members List - Regenerates the member summary files.
Rebuild Members History - Rebuilds every member's .rlog file. This is useful if you converted from Y1 before this feature was added.
tashina
***** God Member

Postby intercst » 02/25/07 at 20:23:57

tashina wrote:I wonder if it would help to do some resets in the database. I can't tell if any posts are actually missing or just being counted wrong. In the Admin section you can:

Recount Board Totals - Counts the topics in each board (and replies in each topic, I think) and updates that
Rebuild Message Index - Updates the topic listing in each board. Useful if a thread goes missing from the board but the files are still there.
Recount Membership - Updates the number of users. Useful if your member totals are wrong.
Rebuild Members List - Regenerates the member summary files.
Rebuild Members History - Rebuilds every member's .rlog file. This is useful if you converted from Y1 before this feature was added.

I did all of those rebuilds last night without solving the problem.

I'll look into reinstalling or upgrading the forum software to see if that improves it.

intercst
intercst
***** God Member

Postby tashina » 02/25/07 at 20:39:49

Here's the only other thread I could see that might be related:
http://www.yabbforum.com/community/YaBB ... 157677890/
tashina
***** God Member

Postby intercst » 02/25/07 at 22:05:36

tashina wrote:Here's the only other thread I could see that might be related:

I tried the idea they suggested of changing the permissions to 666 on the Members folder. I was then prevented from logging on to the board, so I changed it back.

intercst
intercst
***** God Member

Postby Orion. » 02/26/07 at 10:29:32

You generally want '7's on directory entries, rather than '6's. ie 777 or 755. 666 is fine for files within a directory. I think that's where they finally got to in the thread linked above though I'm not sure that fixed it. The thread gets a little vague about results.
Seriously, hocus, I don't know if you're really insane or you just believe that acting that way is a good way to get attention.

My closest friends say that it appears to them that's a little bit of both.. -- hocus 2007.
Orion.
***** God Member

Postby intercst » 02/26/07 at 18:00:25

orion wrote:You generally want '7's on directory entries, rather than '6's. ie 777 or 755. 666 is fine for files within a directory. I think that's where they finally got to in the thread linked above though I'm not sure that fixed it. The thread gets a little vague about results.

The permissions on the Members folder is currently set at 777. I changed it to 755, but that didn't solve the problem of the declining post totals.

I'll leave it at 755 for a while.

intercst
intercst
***** God Member

Postby tashina » 02/26/07 at 19:17:17

tashina wrote:Here's the only other thread I could see that might be related:

That same poster posted again later with the same problem- (different username). No one seemed to know what to do then either, but it sounded like the exact same problem we have.
Post Count Messed Up
10/21/06 at 23:25:35  
I actually posted this problem here before, and I thought it was fixed, but it has returned a few times now. My members' (including my own) post counts start dropping. It seems to effect active members more than it does members that very rarely post. The posts don't drop all at once, but rather gradually until they reach zero. I've set the chmod permissions in the Members folder to 666, but this only seems to offer a temporary solution. The post counts start dropping again after a while even though the permissions stay 666. Then, given more time, the permissions of some files change to rw-r--r-- (644, I think). I have contacted my admin, but he told me that I had full rights to change the permissions of the files and he hadn't been changing anything. I have no idea why this is going on. If I try using the recount tools in the Admin Center, nothing changes. I have currently been manually changing the post counts of each member. "So, uh, anything that you could do to, uh-- to help... would be... very... helpful." Thanks.

I emailed him to see if he ever figured out what the problem was. Will let you know if I get a reply.
tashina
***** God Member

Postby tashina » 02/26/07 at 21:59:22

Well, too bad. He couldn't really help because he still has the problem. Maybe we should post on the YaBB forum?

I never really found a permanent solution for the problem. Currently I do a search by all the posts made by someone and edit the post count manually. It seems not to be dropping as quickly as before. It isn't a huge problem, but I'd still be curious as to what the problem was and/or how to solve it.

I told him that if we figured it out, we'd let him know.
tashina
***** God Member

Postby tmeri » 02/27/07 at 00:00:24

Has this been investigated?

I recently experienced a number of problems - '300' error, topic and post counts zeroed out, last post field populated with 'N/A'.  I was able to restore everything from bits and pieces from various posts on this site:
1. rebuild message index
2. recount board totals
3. move messages from board A to board B then back to board A
4. edit a .ctb file

Further info on this forum indicated that lack of disk space was a likely offender. I logged a problem ticket with my web hoster and unbelieveably they admitted they had indeed experienced disk space problems at the very time of my troubles above!

It's from one of the links tashina provided--in her first post here. I did not see a response to it here.

I think the most disturbing thing is that you can't examine the last few posts that hocus made. That makes me kind of sad since he's apparently stopped posting here.  :'( His post count is also dropping. It's almost like he's fading away.

tmeri
***** God Member

Next

Return to News