More hocus copyright infringement?

Read about the latest happenings of our site!

More hocus copyright infringement?

Postby intercst » 10/17/06 at 14:34:10

I noticed that hocus copied a full paragrapgh verbatim from my website for today's Hoco-Blob. He did so without permission or authorization.

I ran a Whois search on to find his web host provider to ask that the unauthorized material be removed from his site, but came up empty. Any ideas from Hocoresearchers?

intercst
Some people are leaders, some are followers, and a few don't want to join the parade.
intercst
***** God Member

Re: More hocus copyright infringement?

Postby tmeri » 10/17/06 at 15:00:02

It's sitesell:

http://iptools.com/dnstools.php?tool=ip ... &submit=Go

The passionsaving.com IP address is 205.205.145.47. Sitesell owns all of the addresses of the form 205.205.145.X.
Claim to fame -- first ever to win hocus bingo.

Hocus does not have my permission to use my words or stories anywhere, ever.

We have MOVIES!  Financial Freedom Movies
tmeri
***** God Member

Postby Orion. » 10/17/06 at 15:06:47

tmeri wrote:It's sitesell

Which - just coincidentally I'm sure - is the service that the one book reviewer who likes Rob's book (Audrey Owen) advertises on her self-publishing site.

(link)
And there is money to be made in publishing on the Internet. This is what opened my eyes and got me this site.
Seriously, hocus, I don't know if you're really insane or you just believe that acting that way is a good way to get attention.

My closest friends say that it appears to them that's a little bit of both.. -- hocus 2007.
Orion.
***** God Member

Postby Schroeder » 10/17/06 at 15:29:18

From www.iptools.com

**LINK**
Registrant:
Robert Bennett 160 Hatcher Avenue Purcellville, VA 20132
US Domain name: PASSIONSAVING.COM
Administrative Contact: ? ?Bennett, Robert ?
hocusreports@earthlink.net ? ?160 Hatcher Avenue ? ?Purcellville, VA 20132 ? ?US ? ?5407510685

Technical Contact: ? ?Support, SiteSell ?support@sitesell.com ? ?68 Cote St-Charles ? ?Hudson Heights, QC J0P 1J0 ? ?CA ? ?+1.4504581064 ? ?Fax: +1.4504581068

Registration Service Provider: ? ?SiteSell Inc. ? ?450 458 1064 ? ?514-849-0828 (fax) ? ?http://support.sitesell.com ? ?This company may be contacted for domain login/passwords, ? ?DNS/Nameserver changes, and general domain support questions.

Registrar of Record: TUCOWS, INC. Record last updated on 14-Sep-2006. Record expires on 23-Jul-2007. Record created on 23-Jul-2004.
Proud Member of the Financial Freedom Community!
Schroeder
***** God Member

Postby intercst » 10/17/06 at 16:02:26

Here's the e-mail I sent to hocus, with a copy to his weh host provider Sitesell.

-------------

17 October 2006

Mr. Robert Bennett
160 Hatcher Avenue
Purcellville, VA 20132

Dear Mr. Bennett:

RE: Notice of Copyright Infringement

I noticed that your website contains copyrighted material taken verbatim from The Retire Early Home Page.

http://www.passionsaving.com/200610.html#e292

You do not have permission or authorization to use this material on your site www.passionsaving.com

Please remove this copyrighted material from your web site immediately.

I've set a copy of this e-mail to your web host provider, Sitesell, so that they can ensure that this unlawfull material is removed from your site.

Thank you in advance for your cooperation in this matter.

John Greaney
The Retire Early Home Page

intercst
Some people are leaders, some are followers, and a few don't want to join the parade.
intercst
***** God Member

Postby Schroeder » 10/17/06 at 17:20:56

On a related note, if anyone needs the same info regarding JWR's website . . .

**LINK**
Registrant:
John W Russell ?5826 Old Bethel Road Crestview, FL 32536 US Domain name: EARLY-RETIREMENT-PLANNING-INSIGHTS.COM

Administrative Contact:
Russell, John W ?ranmbs@cox.net ? ? 5826 Old Bethel Road ? ?Crestview, FL 32536 ? ?US ? ?8506893244

Technical Contact:
Support, SiteSell ?support@sitesell.com ? ?68 Cote St.Charles ? ?Hudson Heights, QC J0P 1J0 ? ?CA ? ?+1.4504581064 ? ?Fax: +1.4504581068

Registration Service Provider:
SiteSell Inc. ? ?450 458 1064 ? ?514-849-0828 (fax) ? ?http://support.sitesell.com ? ?This company may be contacted for domain login/passwords, ? ?DNS/Nameserver changes, and general domain support questions.
Proud Member of the Financial Freedom Community!
Schroeder
***** God Member

Postby arrete » 10/17/06 at 20:14:09

I thank you, Schroeder.  If either egotistical, er, person takes my words without permission, now I know what to do.

arrete
Quando omni flunkus moritati.
arrete
***** God Member

Postby hocus » 10/18/06 at 03:12:54

Would you consider posting a link to this thread at the Motley Fool board, John? I would like to see the community reaction.

Rob
Lying and sliming since May 12, 2002 --  Don't understand why intercst allows me to post here. Learn more about Rob Bennett, see link: http://retireearlyhomepage.com/bennett.html
hocus
***** God Member

Postby hocus » 10/18/06 at 04:57:06

Which - just coincidentally I'm sure - is the service that the one book reviewer who likes Rob's book (Audrey Owen) advertises on her self-publishing site.

It's not coincidence. But the suggestions that have been put forward in posts to this board that Audrey offers positive reviews in exchange for money are typical of the intimidation and smear tactics that we have seen since the earliest days of the Campaign of Terror. It is ugly stuff, and no community member should tolerate it in our community.

I came to know Audrey through SiteSell. When she looked at my site, she learned about the book. Her reaction to the book was the reaction that I have received from most readers of the book.

When some time opens up for me, I will be sending the book for reviews at lots of places. I think it would be fair to say that the signs are that there are going to be lots and lots of positive reviews. The argument will no doubt be made then that, because I paid for the postage to send the book to the reviewers that all of them were "paid for" and should not be viewed as legitimate counters to the Smear Campaign posts of the defenders of John Greaney's demonstrably false SWR claims.

Deception is a cancer. You start out saying that it doesn't matter that William Bernstein says that your safe withdrawal rate claims are "highly misleading." That leads to a need to engage in deception of what you think of a fellow community member's Retire Early plan (because that community member put up a post reporting on what Bernstein said). That leads to a need to engage in deception about what you said about that community member in the past (Greaney himself and a good number of Goons have made comments about my writings every bit as favorable as Audrey's in the days when they were not waging a Campaign of Terror to block honest posting on SWRs at our boards). That leads to a need to engage in smears against any board that permits the person being smeared to post honestly (thus, the FIRE board had to be destroyed, and the SWR Research Group had to be destroyed, and the Alternate Methodology SWR board had to be destroyed, and the Early Retirement Forum and the Vanguard Diehards boards needed to be taught a lesson and the Financial Freedom Blog had to be swarmed with abusive posting and John Walter Russelll's site needs to be smeared and on and on).

There is no good end to the Path of Deception. We escape the ugliness by reversing the steps that brought us to it. When we tell the truth about things, the need for deception and intimidation and Smear Campaigns goes away. The first step is lifting the ban on honest SWR posting. Permit honesty on that topic, and we regain the ability to attract people of integrity and intelligence to all of our boards. As those sorts of people gain increased influence, all of the other issues take care of themselves.

The starting point to getting back to where we once belonged is permitting honest posting on the SWR topic, just as the starting point on getting to this horrible place where we stand today was imposing a ban on honest posting on the SWR topic. He's reached a point now where he cannot even tolerate positive commentary on his ideas (presumably because any discussion of the Retire Early topic whatsoever poses the threat of attracting people informed on the topic of early retirement to our boards). He's not worth it. It's not even close.

Rob
Lying and sliming since May 12, 2002 --  Don't understand why intercst allows me to post here. Learn more about Rob Bennett, see link: http://retireearlyhomepage.com/bennett.html
hocus
***** God Member

Postby arrete » 10/18/06 at 08:57:26

hocus, you forgot the part where you committed copyright infringement.

arrete
Quando omni flunkus moritati.
arrete
***** God Member

Postby hocus » 10/18/06 at 10:12:45

Not helpful, Arrete.

Rob
hocus
***** God Member

Postby Orion. » 10/18/06 at 10:25:39

arrete wrote:hocus, you forgot the part where you committed copyright infringement.

arrete

hocus wrote:Not helpful, Arrete.

Rob

LOL!

Yeah, arrete. ?Never try to direct hocus back on-topic. ?He never likes that. ?;)
Seriously, hocus, I don't know if you're really insane or you just believe that acting that way is a good way to get attention.

My closest friends say that it appears to them that's a little bit of both.. -- hocus 2007.
Orion.
***** God Member

Postby Orion. » 10/18/06 at 11:39:58

hocus wrote:When some time opens up for me, I will be sending the book for reviews at lots of places.

I'll offer to help you again, hocus. ?How can I help you free up some time to mail out those books? ?Can I mow your lawn for you? (OK, realistically, it would cost me a lot of time and money to get to Virginia, but I'm sure we can come up with something in your schedule that can be off-loaded to someone else in some way.) ?

I'm Sorry, I don't know what occupies your time so I can't make any more concrete suggestions. However, if you'll tell me what occupies your retirement, there may be something I can offload for a few hours so you can get those books to the post office.

How did you squeeze in time to go to work in the past? ?I'm sure we can find a way to get this done!

Orion.
***** God Member

Postby hocus » 10/18/06 at 12:39:44

Can I mow your lawn for you?

No, but how good are you at working a plunger?

Rob
hocus
***** God Member

Postby Orion. » 10/18/06 at 14:24:09

orion wrote:Help requested. ?Help offered. ?Evasive Reply. ?Repeat.

Orion.
***** God Member

Next

Return to News