Hello REHP Posters

Read about the latest happenings of our site!

Hello REHP Posters

Postby dukeandduke » 09/01/06 at 04:01:43

I was somewhat active on the old Motley Fool boards. I logged on as a member on a few of the versions on this board but have dropped off. I reregistered here and plan on stopping by every so often. I was dukeandduke on TMF and on previous REHP boards but when I tried to log in my id was gone so here I am again with a clean slate.

I am in my mid 30s. I was laid off in July 2004 and have taken it easy since, living on savings (including a portion of my retirement egg). I have loved the time off and the freedom. I know I will never be bored during retirement as I have many interests outside of work.

Anyway I plan on returning to work soon, finishing off paying my mortgage (several years to go on a 15 year) and start saving again. I plan on working part time in several years and doing community service type work. I've always wanted to teach and may finish my Masters in Education and teach history / math. I am a CPA and I hate accounting (which explains my eagerness to return to the workforce).

Anyway, I wanted to thank intercst and others here who gave new ideas to someone in his late 20s that there is more to life than working and keeping up with the Jones'. LBYM has allowed me to take off more than two years (after working full time since I was 16 even during college) for the first time since I was a child. I wouldn't have traded these two plus years for anything and I would suggest a nice period of time out to anyone who is burned out for your sanity today and down the road. It is also good practice to find out what you want to do in early retirement.

Anyway, I haven't been to TMF since they started charging for the boards.

I follow John Mauldin as far as investment advice - he publishes a weekly letter (actually two - the second is outside the box) as well as my own thoughts on investing. I plan on checking in to learn from those who saved enough to retire for good or for those who went from fulltime to part-time.

Any suggestions on how to explain away a few years off would be appreciated as well. I have done limited consulting. Perhaps I'll sign up for some temp assignments while working fulltime. I worked in public accounting, a Fortune 500 company and then at a small computer consulting firm. I like working at a smaller firm which allows me to have more say into what I do and less people to report to.

Take care and happy retirement to all those living the good life - I have had a taste of it and cannot wait to be able to take the plunge down the road on a permanent basis.

dukeandduke

PS - Mods - Please move to the appropriate section of the site if this belongs elsewhere on the website.
Be good to your family, your community and yourself and enjoy life to the fullest!
dukeandduke
* Newbies

Re: Hello REHP Posters

Postby hocus » 09/01/06 at 04:11:06

I was somewhat active on the old Motley Fool boards.

It's good to hear from you, DukeandDuke. I recall your screen-name from the old days (still worth reading in archive form for those who weren't there the first time around).

Rob
Lying and sliming since May 12, 2002 --  Don't understand why intercst allows me to post here. Learn more about Rob Bennett, see link: http://retireearlyhomepage.com/bennett.html
hocus
***** God Member

Postby arrete » 09/01/06 at 08:00:11

Good to see you again.  About the resume.  Luckily, people aren't as cranky about gaps as they used to be.  I think I'd just say some like 2004-2006 Consulted for, and then list the companies.  You don't have to say how long you worked for each one, though you should say what kind of work.

As far as teaching, you'll have to be very careful or you'll end up teaching accounting.  :)  How'd you end up in an area you hate?

arrete
Quando omni flunkus moritati.
arrete
***** God Member

Postby dukeandduke » 09/01/06 at 16:43:52

arrete wrote:Good to see you again. ?About the resume. ?Luckily, people aren't as cranky about gaps as they used to be. ?I think I'd just say some like 2004-2006 Consulted for, and then list the companies. ?You don't have to say how long you worked for each one, though you should say what kind of work.

As far as teaching, you'll have to be very careful or you'll end up teaching accounting. ?:) ?How'd you end up in an area you hate?

arrete

I really didn't do much consulting - just some personal stuff on the side so I'll have to see if that will be a stumbling block.

I don't necessarily hate accounting - I just don't like it which is how I stumbled upon TMF / REHP nearly a decade ago. Unfortuantely it was the easiest path through college and it was easy for me.

Anyway after Labor Day weekend I will regroup and start looking and hopefully I'll be able to land at least a temp / consulting gig within the month.

Then I will begin to rebuild an emergency fund and start saving for retirement once again.

I see Hocus is still around giving intercst grief. Keep fighting the power Rob. ?;)
Be good to your family, your community and yourself and enjoy life to the fullest!
dukeandduke
* Newbies

Postby hocus » 09/02/06 at 04:27:47

Keep fighting the power Rob.

He's the worst boss any of us ever had, Dukeandduke. I think that much is more than fair to say.

Rob
Lying and sliming since May 12, 2002 --  Don't understand why intercst allows me to post here. Learn more about Rob Bennett, see link: http://retireearlyhomepage.com/bennett.html
hocus
***** God Member

Return to News