Hocus Copyright Infringement - Permission Letters?

Read about the latest happenings of our site!

Hocus Copyright Infringement - Permission Letters?

Postby intercst » 05/29/06 at 21:17:40

Question for Hocus?

I been quoted about a half-dozen times in various financial books and every author that approached me for permission to use a quote then followed up with a release form for me to sign to prove that permission was granted. (Legitimate publishers tend to be very strict about having their authors submit a complete set of release forms (i.e., permission letters) along with the manuscript.)

I hope that this wasn't a corner that hocus cut in his vanity publishing venture. It could spell legal trouble down the road if he has inadvertently upset or pissed-off anyone.

intercst
Some people are leaders, some are followers, and a few don't want to join the parade.
intercst
***** God Member

Re: Hocus Copyright Infringement - Permission Lett

Postby tashina » 05/29/06 at 21:37:11

You know, besides song quotes, I don't remember there being many quotes in the book. He sort of got around it while still stealing people's ideas. I'm not sure where that falls in the law books.

For instance, arrete asked over and over to be left alone, so Hocus wrote in the book:

?Arrete dreams of not needing to set the alarm on weekdays.?

See, no quote, just idea theft. In this section alone, there were about 20 screen names used.

There is something that delights Hocus about the book being a "Community Book" as he calls it. The community contributes the ideas; he gets the money and (he thinks) the fame. What it turns out to be is a porely stitched together pastiche of other people's thoughts. In his mind, it's okay because he is crediting everyone (well, everyone on the boards anyway - he left out Joe Dominguez and other authors). I suppose a judge may have to decide it some day. I have a feeling no legitimate publisher would touch a book where all the "interviews" and stories in the book are from people on a copyrighted discussion board.  
tashina
***** God Member

Postby Schroeder » 05/29/06 at 22:17:38

I was curious about "Permission Letters". So I did a Yahoo search and found this excerpt from an article . . .

LINK
In the end the publisher will cut material if the they cannot determine the source of your quotes, notes, etc. ?Citation issues and the lack of permission letters can literally stop the presses.

Maybe this was part of the reason that a legitimate publisher has not accepted hocus' manuscript.

Schroeder
Proud Member of the Financial Freedom Community!
Schroeder
***** God Member

Postby tmeri » 05/29/06 at 23:07:26

Schroeder wrote:I was curious about "Permission Letters". So I did a Yahoo search and found this excerpt from an article . . .

LINK
In the end the publisher will cut material if the they cannot determine the source of your quotes, notes, etc. ?Citation issues and the lack of permission letters can literally stop the presses.

Maybe this was part of the reason that a legitimate publisher has not accepted hocus' manuscript.

Schroeder

Good find, Schroeder. It might also explain why hocus seems to be so touchy ever since intercst started looking into this subject.

Schroeder, perhaps as you read the book you can post the names of people he names in the book, whether he has a direct quote from them or not. That way people who are ticked will know if they should be even further ticked.  :P
Claim to fame -- first ever to win hocus bingo.

Hocus does not have my permission to use my words or stories anywhere, ever.

We have MOVIES!  Financial Freedom Movies
tmeri
***** God Member

Postby intercst » 05/29/06 at 23:20:27

tmeri wrote:
Schroeder wrote:I was curious about "Permission Letters". So I did a Yahoo search and found this excerpt from an article . . .

LINK

Schroeder

Good find, Schroeder. It might also explain why hocus seems to be so touchy ever since intercst started looking into this subject.

Schroeder, perhaps as you read the book you can post the names of people he names in the book, whether he has a direct quote from them or not. That way people who are ticked will know if they should be even further ticked. ?:P

That would be a most excellent list -- people who are "ticked" with hocus and have an avenue of legal redress. <LOL>

intercst
Some people are leaders, some are followers, and a few don't want to join the parade.
intercst
***** God Member

Return to News