Hocus Copyright Infringement Investigation

Read about the latest happenings of our site!

Hocus Copyright Infringement Investigation

Postby intercst » 05/26/06 at 15:08:47

I've been contacted concerning an investigation into whether hocus is using other people's stories and material without
permission on his blog.

I told them that I haven't received any recent complaints, but that Rob (hocus) Bennett does have a history of using peoples' work
without permission. Mr. Bennett has been warned several times that this behavior is a violation of the REHP forum rules as well as US copyright law.

If Rob (hocus) Bennett has used your posts without permission, at the REHP or elsewhere, reply to this thread with a link to the stolen material on his blog. I'll contact his web hosting company and ask that the stolen copyrighted material be removed. I'll provide his web host with a link to this thread detailing the copyright infringement."

intercst
Some people are leaders, some are followers, and a few don't want to join the parade.
User avatar
intercst
***** God Member
 
Posts: 2473
Joined: 02/10/04 at 00:20:07
Location: Texas

Re: Hocus Copyright Infringement Investigation

Postby hocus » 05/26/06 at 15:51:38

This message was moved to the "Best Of Hocomania" board by the Forum Administrator.

http://www.s152957355.onlinehome.us/cgi ... 1148677689

Forum Administrator
Lying and sliming since May 12, 2002 --  Don't understand why intercst allows me to post here. Learn more about Rob Bennett, see link: http://retireearlyhomepage.com/bennett.html
User avatar
hocus
***** God Member
 
Posts: 5847
Joined: 02/11/04 at 12:31:16

Re: Hocus Copyright Infringement Investigation

Postby tashina » 05/26/06 at 17:36:49

It?s almost harder to find things on his blog that are not infringement of some sort. He often takes a post from the Motley Fool or elsewhere and rewrites it for his own use. He usually gives credit to the original poster but he is using all of that person?s ideas without their permission. The March 17, 2006 entry is a good example of this as is the April 3rd, 2006 which is entirely the ideas of someone else.  

(Sorry for the lack of links, but I don?t care to give him extra traffic to his site)

He has a whole section called Banned at The Motley Fool. That is full of lies and slander like ?You can't read about Valuation-Informed Indexing at Motley Fool--discussion of it there has been banned!? and I've been informed that TMF laywers will look into that.

On May 25, 2006, he quoted me without permission. Actually, he quoted many people without permission in that entry. Especially bad is stuff like the following from that entry:

Yakers: "It looks like the best that can be done is for someone like Jason (a disruptive poster at the Vanguard Diehards board) to post a reference to the sites that explain Hocus, kind of like the web references that debunk Kiyosaki [the reference is to Robert Kiyosaki, author of Rich Dad, Poor Dad], in each thread that Hocus posts in and leave it at that."


See the brackets and parenthesis? It looks to the uninformed reader that those are part of the quote since he doesn?t use the format [ed:] that is common courtesy. The use of both brackets and parenthesis is especially misleading. I don?t believe that Yakers called Jason a disruptive poster, but I?m not sure of that. Hocus needs to make clear who is saying what when quoting people.

The most serious issue to me is the history that Rob Bennett has of not removing other people?s quotes from his site if asked. I have seen several examples of Rob actively refusing to remove people?s names, quotes, or ideas from his site. This is unacceptable.


[edit] I wanted to add that I understand that fair use is not well-defined for non-commercial uses and that quoting others may be acceptable in a learning environment or in parody. However, Rob Bennetts has stated publically many times that he intends to make a living off of his financial writing and is selling his book online, making this site clearly commercial. As a commercial site, his fair use of quotes and paraphrasings is far more restricted and is the reason I believe he is crossing the line into copyright infringement.   [/edit]
User avatar
tashina
***** God Member
 
Posts: 1097
Joined: 05/22/04 at 12:14:26
Location: austin

Re: Hocus Copyright Infringement Investigation

Postby Schroeder » 05/26/06 at 17:39:02

intercst wrote:I've been contacted concerning an investigation into whether hocus is using other people's stories and material without
permission on his blog.

I told them that I haven't received any recent complaints, but that Rob (hocus) Bennett does have a history of using peoples' work
without permission. Mr. Bennett has been warned several times that this behavior is a violation of the REHP forum rules as well as US copyright law.

If Rob (hocus) Bennett has used your posts without permission, at the REHP or elsewhere, reply to this thread with a link to the stolen material on his blog. I'll contact his web hosting company and ask that the stolen copyrighted material be removed. I'll provide his web host with a link to this thread detailing the copyright infringement."

intercst

I count eight REHP members and at least 4 Diehards who got quoted just yesterday in hocus' May 25th blog. LINK Here is what hocus wrote as an intro to the quotes . . .

Set forth below is the text of some Financial Freedom Community reactions to the correspondence between Clements and me re my criticisms of the FIRECalc tool ....

I wonder if hocus asked any of them for their permission to use their words on his blog.

Schroeder
Proud Member of the Financial Freedom Community!
User avatar
Schroeder
***** God Member
 
Posts: 3892
Joined: 10/11/05 at 19:53:13

Re: Hocus Copyright Infringement Investigation

Postby tmeri » 05/26/06 at 18:17:26

I can think of several instances where hocus has done this. I'm working on researching them. I'll edit this post with more examples later if I can, but here's one that I know for a fact meets your criteria:

Hocus's blob where he quotes me


Direct quotation:
Tmeri says: "They know you are not likely to spend extra time there reading these long legal forms and that you are most likely to just sign them in order to get out."


I most certainly did not give him permission to quote me. In fact, I have explicitly denied him permission to quote me or use my writings in any way.

Much of the rest of what I wrote he recast so that he isn't quoting directly, but I have told him before that he does not have permission to use my story or materials. He certainly didn't ask my permission before he used that on his blob, nor the previous entry, which is not quite as egregious:

Previous reference to my work products

Also, chocokitty asked him not to use her story in his book, but he did it, anyway, if I understand that correctly. I'll try to find a reference to that, if no one has it handy. Then there was the coin toss thing that he stole from YMOYL, but I'm not sure if hocus has put that on his blob yet.

Does anyone wish to reveal that hocus has actually sought your permission to use something you wrote on his blob?

I'm beginning to wonder if we need a new forum to keep track of this intellectual property theft.
Claim to fame -- first ever to win hocus bingo.

Hocus does not have my permission to use my words or stories anywhere, ever.

We have MOVIES!  Financial Freedom Movies
User avatar
tmeri
***** God Member
 
Posts: 997
Joined: 02/11/04 at 17:51:03

Re: Hocus Copyright Infringement Investigation

Postby tmeri » 05/29/06 at 16:24:52

Tashina, I note that hocus quotes you in this old blob entry:

http://www.passionsaving.com/200603.html#e149

Did he get your permission to quote you there? Has he ever gotten your permission for quoting you on his blob? I'm not asking whether you object now to it, just whether or not he sought permission before quoting you.
Claim to fame -- first ever to win hocus bingo.

Hocus does not have my permission to use my words or stories anywhere, ever.

We have MOVIES!  Financial Freedom Movies
User avatar
tmeri
***** God Member
 
Posts: 997
Joined: 02/11/04 at 17:51:03

Re: Hocus Copyright Infringement Investigation

Postby tmeri » 05/29/06 at 16:43:41

SGoon, hocus quoted you in one of his blob entries:

http://www.passionsaving.com/200603.html#e159

Did he get your permission to quote you? He gave a bad link to your list, by the way. It's actually on the next page of the thread he links to.
Claim to fame -- first ever to win hocus bingo.

Hocus does not have my permission to use my words or stories anywhere, ever.

We have MOVIES!  Financial Freedom Movies
User avatar
tmeri
***** God Member
 
Posts: 997
Joined: 02/11/04 at 17:51:03

Re: Hocus Copyright Infringement Investigation

Postby sgeeeee » 05/29/06 at 16:59:35

tmeri wrote:SGoon, hocus quoted you in one of his blob entries:

http://www.passionsaving.com/200603.html#e159

Did he get your permission to quote you? He gave a bad link to your list, by the way. It's actually on the next page of the thread he links to.

I was looking for that, tmeri.  Thanks.  No -- of course he didn't even ask permission.   :-/
-sgeeeee
User avatar
sgeeeee
***** God Member
 
Posts: 719
Joined: 02/10/04 at 22:48:31
Location: Mesa, AZ

Re: Hocus Copyright Infringement Investigation

Postby tashina » 05/29/06 at 20:42:49

tmeri wrote:Tashina, I note that hocus quotes you in this old blob entry:

http://www.passionsaving.com/200603.html#e149

Did he get your permission to quote you there? Has he ever gotten your permission for quoting you on his blob? I'm not asking whether you object now to it, just whether or not he sought permission before quoting you.



Nope, no permission asked for or granted. He knows I would say no if asked as would just about everyone he quotes.

While we are at it, you wouldn't believe the index of his book. Chock full of screen names of TMF members. I'll bet 95% of them did not give permission for their ideas to be used and I bet TMF didn't give permission to use their posts for fodder for his book. The book and the blog are quite alike in how much of the material is just other people's ideas reworded and repeated. I guess you have to do something when you have no ideas and want to write a daily post for publicity for your site.
User avatar
tashina
***** God Member
 
Posts: 1097
Joined: 05/22/04 at 12:14:26
Location: austin

Re: Hocus Copyright Infringement Investigation

Postby intercst » 05/29/06 at 20:54:21

tashina wrote:
tmeri wrote:Tashina, I note that hocus quotes you in this old blob entry:

http://www.passionsaving.com/200603.html#e149

Did he get your permission to quote you there? Has he ever gotten your permission for quoting you on his blob? I'm not asking whether you object now to it, just whether or not he sought permission before quoting you.



Nope, no permission asked for or granted. He knows I would say no if asked as would just about everyone he quotes.

While we are at it, you wouldn't believe the index of his book. Chock full of screen names of TMF members. I'll bet 95% of them did not give permission for their ideas to be used and I bet TMF didn't give permission to use their posts for fodder for his book. The book and the blog are quite alike in how much of the material is just other people's ideas reworded and repeated. I guess you have to do something when you have no ideas and want to write a daily post for publicity for your site.


That's excellent!

It should be much easier to catalog the instances of copyright infringement with a comprehensive index. <LOL>

intercst
Some people are leaders, some are followers, and a few don't want to join the parade.
User avatar
intercst
***** God Member
 
Posts: 2473
Joined: 02/10/04 at 00:20:07
Location: Texas


Return to News

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron