ES to be executed?

A place for the NFB community to discuss any subject.
ElSupremo
Admin Board Member

ES to be executed?

Post by ElSupremo »

Greetings NFBers :)

DISCLAIMER!!!
While this is a true story I mention it only for it's entertainment value. No links are provided and if curiosity just overwhelms you, send me an email for more info.

I just found out that an old friend of ours has suggested that I be killed because of the way this site is run. :shock: I'm not saying who said it and not trying to start anything here, but I just got such a kick out of it I had to share. :wink: Boy I never thought it would come to this! :lol:

Oh what the heck! Just for fun let's have a poll!
"The best things in life are FREE!"

www.nofeeboards.com
salaryguru
* Rookie

Post by salaryguru »

I voted, "No, but some form of torture would be appropriate." I believe that the form of torture should be that he is forced to continue managing this site. If that's not punishment, I don't know what is. :D:D:D
-SG-
ElSupremo
Admin Board Member

Post by ElSupremo »

Greetings SG :)
I believe that the form of torture should be that he is forced to continue managing this site. If that's not punishment, I don't know what is.

I accept. :wink:

www.nofeeboards.com
ataloss
**** Heavy Hitter

Post by ataloss »

I would have to guess this is related to that guy who keeps going on about destruction of the "archives," I woulnd't worry about it
Have fun.

Ataloss
zendrix
* Rookie

Post by zendrix »

It wasn't Pat Roberts was it? :P
I am the one with the sandwich board on which is written in red letters, "I haven't the foggiest notion what I am talking about."
ElSupremo
Admin Board Member

Post by ElSupremo »

Greetings zendrix :)

Nope. And I'm glad no one wants me killed so far. :lol::wink:

www.nofeeboards.com
Bookm
Admin Board Member

Post by Bookm »

zendrix wrote: It wasn't Pat Roberts was it? :P

:lol: That may be a very good suspect, as Pat has called for the "offing" one dictator, and sharp minds have also surmized ES is the NFB dictator behind-the-scenes. :wink: As Ren once said to Stimpy, "Your wealth of ignorance astounds me!"

Bookm
Wall Street investment products suck because it's all about them and their revenue today. It's not about us and our income tomorrow. - Scott Burns
zendrix
* Rookie

Post by zendrix »

Was anyone indoctinated with that superbly shocking short movie in grade school called "The Lottery," where once a year, in a small midwestern US town, random numbers are drawn from members of the community, each number representing a member of the community. The loser, although totally innocent of any crime, is promptly stoned to death by the mob of townspeople, and the town is afterward crime free. I recall taht none of the 9 year old students understood the symbolic tale, and many left the room crying. My guess is that some of us are taumatized, haunted by those memories, in my case, to this day. :roll:

Maybe we could do something like that here at Nofees? :D
I am the one with the sandwich board on which is written in red letters, "I haven't the foggiest notion what I am talking about."
kathyet
Admin Board Member

Post by kathyet »

Was anyone indoctinated with that superbly shocking short movie in grade school called "The Lottery,"

Sorry never saw that movie sounds like a fun one though just in time for Halloween. Would you like to be the first one Zendrix? I think I will be waaay back at the end of the line for that one..

Kathyet
salaryguru
* Rookie

Post by salaryguru »

Don't know about the movie, but I remember reading the short story. It was one of my favorites when I was in high school. :D

An Essay on Shirley Jackson's "The Lottery":
http://www.netwood.net/~kosenko/jackson.html

Review of the story:
http://www.suite101.com/article.cfm/bri ... ure/104385
-SG-
kathyet
Admin Board Member

Post by kathyet »

It was one of my favorites when I was in high school.

Was it required reading?

Women, then, have a distinctly subordinate position in the socio-economic hierarchy of the village. They make their first appearance "wearing faded house dresses . . . [and walking] shortly after their menfolk" (p. 292). Their dresses indicate that they do in fact work, but because they work in the home and not within the larger economy in which work is regulated by money, they are treated by men and treat themselves as inferiors.

It was written in 1948???? Shortly after that time period I believe DIVORCE become a very normal occurance in our society.. amazes me a women wrote it but coming from not very far from Salem Mass with the witch hunts and all the puritanical BS, it was probably kept away from this young women "liber" on purpose.

The Review link doesn't work SG.

Kathyet
hix9
* Rookie

Post by hix9 »

es
I just found out that an old friend of ours has suggested that I be killed because of the way this site is run.

ataloss
I would have to guess this is related to that guy who keeps going on about destruction of the "archives," I woulnd't worry about it

cripes. this takes the cake.

clearly someone has let his or her mouth get ahead of their brains. you are owed an apology es. i'd have called the cops. ridiculous. absolutely ridiculous.

maybe its my sinus headache but these sort of melodramatics surrounding some on the fi/re boards have worn on me.

forget it. come monday i'm going 100% into vanguard balanced and then going to find a nice alice cooper fan site where the fanatics aren't so nuts. maybe i'll run into belairpatrol.

best to all
hix9
salaryguru
* Rookie

Post by salaryguru »

kathyet wrote:
Was it required reading?

No, not for me. My older brother turned me on to the story. It may have been required reading for him. I haven't read the story in over 30 years, but I remember it had an effect on me. I grew up in a small town dominated by religious fundamentalists (including my parents and family). The town's religious leaders were pious, and at the same time often very cruel and unyielding. A lot of people followed their lead. The story struck a chord with me.

The Review link doesn't work SG.

Kathyet
It does for me. You do have to scroll down the page past a bunch of junk first. :D[/quote]
-SG-
kathyet
Admin Board Member

Post by kathyet »

It does for me. You do have to scroll down the page past a bunch of junk first.

:oops:Got it thanks,

Kathyet
ElSupremo
Admin Board Member

Post by ElSupremo »

Greetings hix :D
i'd have called the cops. ridiculous. absolutely ridiculous.

Hey this was all just for fun and I'm not worried. :lol: Of course now that someone(I'll bet I know who :wink:) has voted for death, I'm not so sure. :wink:
maybe i'll run into belairpatrol

OMG! :shock: Heaven forbid we ever have to deal with him again. :roll:

www.nofeeboards.com
zendrix
* Rookie

Post by zendrix »

Sorry to drift off track ES! Too bad your lottery number came up in the small town of superinvestors! :shock:Better git yer Halloween costume on quick or at least some dark shades 8)

Salaryguru: I wonder why only a minority of the populous learns what you noted, and meanwhile far too often it is those who consider themselves "religious types," do not get it? Is it that one must go through certain youthful experiences as a child or are some of us wired to understand these things better? As a kid I was unusually empathic and sensitive of others if they were being ill treated, likely I empathized with them since I knew what being the underdog felt like, having experienced daily bullying by my older brother and also physically and mentally abused by my mom.

I beleive that my upbringing also taught me to quickly sense that some of the town elders, a "pious" elderly baptist "church-lady" babysitter who took care of us at times, and also a few nuns in Saturday catechism, pious they were, but loving, they were not. Even at seven I sensed these peoples' lessons were hypocritical, as they threateningly expressed that eternal violence would be the wrath imposed upon any child who did not admit membership in the same religious group that they belonged. Membership, they seemed to think, was more important than a person's actions. At seven, I sensed that they missed the main point of their own religion's core ethic; love and forgiveness. (Yeah, I think Jesus wanted people to be liberal-minded, flexible, forgiving, tolerant of others different ways and to love thy neighbor as thyself). Then again, maybe a lot of people have a lot of inner hate for themselves, and they hate thy neighbors as they hate themselves!!!!....hmmmmmmmmmmmm

Regarding old movies, two other influential flicks taught in the 1960s were Ambrose Bierce's: "An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge" and Holling Clancy Holling's; "Paddle to the Sea," in which an Inuit boy carved the inscription " put me back in the water," on a tiny hand carved wooden boat, and sent it away on a great journey. That tale made me wish to go on a similar adventure.

I was able to purchase the children's original book "Paddle to the sea" from Amazon, but have yet to stir up the movie. I have not yet seen "Paddle to the Sea" nor "The Lottery" posted on any bittorrent sites either. I'd love to watch them again to see how far my memory has drifted.

I do have a copy of "Green Eyes, Blue Eyes, where a teacher divides the average white middle class American children by eye color and for one day makes one group the upper class, and another day switches which group is in power. Oddly enough, the children became convinced that the other group was lazy, deceitful and overall lower on the human totem pole, which of course switches later on and the top group becomes the oppressed group. It really showed how easily racism is learned and adopted.
Last edited by zendrix on Sat Oct 29, 2005 10:32 pm, edited 4 times in total.
salaryguru
* Rookie

Post by salaryguru »

zendrix wrote: . . .Salarygruru: As a kid I was very empathic and sensitive of others being ill treated, likely learned from being bullied by my older brotehr and abused by my mom. I also gained strong negative feelings from a "pious" elderly baptist babysitter who took care of me at times, and similarly I sensed that a few nuns in catechism, oh, pious they were, but loving, they were not. Even at 7 years old I sensed these peoples lessons were hypocritical, as they expressed that eternal violence would be the wrath imposed upon anyone who did not admit membership in the same religious group of these teacher's, which they seemed to think was more impotnat than a person's actions. At seven I sensed that they missed the main point of their own religion's core ethic.

. . .
Thank you for the confirmation that someone understands. I had been reluctant to mention my experience.
-SG-
kathyet
Admin Board Member

Post by kathyet »

Very well put Zendrix and Salaryguru I am sure many of us had these kind of experiences as a child and the best thing anyone can do to overcome it is to make sure it doesn't effect the life you now have, and never become what they are /or were.
Thank you for the confirmation that someone understands. I had been reluctant to mention my experience.

There is never an excuse for cruelty or persecution no matter what form it comes in. I have come to realize the older I get that there is a large number in the human race that are not very nice and which history has shown us comes in many forms and still is around us all the time. What truly amazes me is that too many people are not willing to combat it, all they do is follow along like a herd of cows and say nothing. I have to wonder if it was combated early on would we have the problem with our children and the cruelty they show so often? I think it is in a persons make up to be either way and it shows itself early on in life. It is just the way were all wired.

I always remember as a child I would stand up against anyone adults or other kids if I thought they were being mean or cruel, sometimes I would be shaking inside so much with fear knowing I would probably get a beating or punishment because of my "mouth" flying off to the wrong person but I stood my ground any ways. I found now though I kind of try to go with the flow until I just can't stand it anymore and say or do something about it.

Kathyet

BTW should we give H---- a break????? Naaaa, just kind of feel sorry for him, although I wonder what color eyes he has...
ElSupremo
Admin Board Member

Post by ElSupremo »

Greetings zendrix :)
Better git yer Halloween costume on quick or at least some dark shades

Thanks for the advice. :lol: I've been meaning to buy some cool poker shades, I'll just use them. :wink:

www.nofeeboards.com
ataloss
**** Heavy Hitter

Post by ataloss »

I remember seeing the :owl creek" movie in 9th grade btw the story is online here
http://eserver.org/fiction/occurrence-at-owl-creek.html

es, watch out for this guy
Have fun.

Ataloss