Censorship

A place for the NFB community to discuss any subject.
KenM
* Rookie

Censorship

Post by KenM »

From ES
I see no more constructive value in continuing this thread so I'll lock it.
..... so, censorship within the first day of the 'new start' :lol::lol::lol:
KenM
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less travelled by, And that has made all the difference.
--Robert Frost
wanderer
*** Veteran

Post by wanderer »

Please stop 'baiting' me, kenm. :shock:
regards,

wanderer

The field has eyes / the wood has ears / I will see / be silent and hear
KenM
* Rookie

Post by KenM »

hey, wanderer,
.... regrettably I'm clinically paranoid and I can't help it :lol:
KenM
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less travelled by, And that has made all the difference.
--Robert Frost
th
** Regular

Post by th »

Just because you're paranoid doesnt mean they're not out to getcha.

However, I have to delineate the difference between censorship and simply ending a conversation.

You're entitled to start another one.

Sometimes its a good idea to start fresh. With people, ideas, and with lines of conversation.

But what do I know? On another board it was revealed that I'm actually just a dog. But if you scratch me behind the ears I'll tell you what kind of dog food I really like...
He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you. - Nietzsche
ElSupremo
Admin Board Member

Post by ElSupremo »

Greetings th :)
On another board it was revealed that I'm actually just a dog. But if you scratch me behind the ears I'll tell you what kind of dog food I really like...

LOL! :lol: If your a dog your a smart one! Rrrrufff!:wink:

Well I can see no constructive purpose in letting this thread continue so I guess I'll Lock... Oh wait I'd better not! I wouldn't want to be accused of censorship. :roll:

:lol:
"The best things in life are FREE!"

www.nofeeboards.com
JWR1945
***** Legend

Post by JWR1945 »

LOL! If your a dog your a smart one! Rrrrufff!

TH is an expert. He has detailed knowledge of the prices and quality of various kinds of dog food.

Have fun.

John R.
ElSupremo
Admin Board Member

Post by ElSupremo »

Greetings John :)
TH is an expert. He has detailed knowledge of the prices and quality of various kinds of dog food.

Sounds like a great addition to the boards! How'd we get so lucky? :D

www.nofeeboards.com
th
** Regular

Post by th »

The knowledge could be most helpful if we lose most of our money :lol:
He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you. - Nietzsche
KenM
* Rookie

Post by KenM »

I have to delineate the difference between censorship and simply ending a conversation. You're entitled to start another one

... then what's the point of putting a lock on the thread unless it's an attempt to impose censorship by making it more difficult to continue :?... however I'd also mention ...

... from nfb's honorable and intrepid leader on 25 Nov 2003 when banning h###s
There comes a point when hard decisions must be made for the good of the whole vs. the individual. That applies to large corporations or for smaller concerns such as NFB.

From the honorable leader on 11 June 2004 after reinstating h###s
Losing any of our members is a blow. We'll just have to do the best we can without them.
KenM
--Robert Frost
KenM
* Rookie

Post by KenM »

... perhaps some more from nfb's honorable leader. Only about 6 weeks ago, on 4 May 2004
I was just looking at the "Who's on line" section and ........ got this warm and fuzzy felling. Kind of kicked in the ole remembrance center of the brain because I've seen that line for almost a decade! ..... Thanks for still being here guys.
....... And do we really miss the trolls?
KenM
--Robert Frost
KenM
* Rookie

Post by KenM »

.... but back to the prematurely locked thread and ES's statement in that thread
Some of the other posts (from h###s) you refer to have been intended to help our site. I few more posts like that would be welcome don't you think?
I would list a few of the snide and aggressive comments in such posts in that thread such as ...
It's good to hear your voice up close again, raddr
You got me dead to rights on that one, ataloss. I'm all true. I'm wacky! Just remember-- Wacky is good!
We have important work to do. We need all the good posting talent we can get our hands on.
I wonder why
Never works. It's a puzzle, is it not?
You have lost control, Wanderer. You need to rein it in if you are to make constructive contributions again.
I will not permit it.

To any honorable person who knows the history of nfb over the last 12 months, who knows the previous actions of the poster and can put the comments into the appropriate context, it is obvious that these arrogant comments are carefully crafted to be inflammatory and are deliberately made to try to provoke a reaction and disruption. Anybody, knowing the history, who doesn't think this is either very naive or dim-witted. :lol::lol::lol:
KenM
--Robert Frost
wanderer
*** Veteran

Post by wanderer »

Not hard to tell why kenm is a millionaire.

Not hard to tell why I have gotten more out of kenms' guidance on the use and avoidance of filipina maids than any of the 1 million lines of BS from a certain someone we can't mention.

I wonder if the jackboot of censorship so favored by the hall monitor types at the SWR fantasy board will result in this thread being locked.

I wonder if hocus is cynically using ES.
regards,

wanderer

The field has eyes / the wood has ears / I will see / be silent and hear
hocus2004

Post by hocus2004 »

"and are deliberately made to try to provoke a reaction"

That part is so.
hocus2004

Post by hocus2004 »

"I wonder if the jackboot of censorship..."

You're beginning even to employ his pet phrases in your posts. Listen to yourself, my man.
PainInTheAS
* Rookie

Post by PainInTheAS »

wanderer wrote: Please stop 'baiting' me, kenm. :shock:

Perhaps, in this single thread, KenM is striving to take over the title of Official NFB Master Baiter from its current holder.

(Sorry, couldn't resist that on wanderer!)
:D

PITA
th
** Regular

Post by th »

The funny part is we all claim to be experts on trolls, but the same experts then proceed to feed the prospective beast beneath the bridge.

I said this to someone privately, but it bears mention publicly.

When we dumped our jobs (and in many cases, personal and professional friendships and connections associated with it) we had to find other focuses to remain "connected". We pick places like this to do that. When they're soiled, we get upset.

Understandable.

However, if you feel the guy is a troll, I believe the requisite prescription is three part: ignore, ignore, ignore.

At the other end of the dial is feed, feed, feed, followed by threaten to leave followed by leaving.

If I may halfquote ES's icon, "so sure are you what he is, ignore him then you should"...

Or in the inimitable words of Chief Wiggum..."move along, nothing to see here"...
ElSupremo
Admin Board Member

Post by ElSupremo »

Greetings th :)
"so sure are you what he is, ignore him then you should"...

:D

To Ken:
I respect your opinion. Just apply all those old quotes of mine to this situation you've got it! :wink:

www.nofeeboards.com
salaryguru
* Rookie

Post by salaryguru »

I was a part of the TMF boards before they went to the dark side. I've been a participant in both of intrcst's boards. And I participate in Dory36's board (as well as this one). I've seen my share of trolls come to the boards -- in some cases the same one over and over again. In every case they hurt the boards where they showed up, and in most cases they managed to frustrate, irritate and anger me at one point or another. You start out reading their posts. Because you care about the accuracy and value of the information on the board, you point out the errors and misconceptions they present. This typically results in a long, inaccurate representation of what you've said along with countless new bits of misinformation. Before too long, the board is polluted. You can't win.

1) If you continue to try to clean up the errors and misconceptions, you get only more and more nonsense posts from the troll. And you never get a legitimate discussion and exchange of ideas. The troll only addresses what they want to address -- never the real issues and errors you attempt to discuss. The troll successfully establishes both the culture and the content of your board. New arrivals either fit into that, or leave. The group that made up the culture and content prior to the troll leave or become ineffective.

2) If you ignore the troll's posts, the troll continues to polute the board with long, inaccurate posts that establish the culture and content of the board. New arrivals either fit into that, or leave. The group that made up the culture and content prior to the troll leave or become ineffective.

I don't know what the best approach to this problem is. But I do know what I've seen in the past. This decision will result in a dramatic change in both the culture and the content of this board. That's what the troll wants. It is apparently what ES wants. The rest of us have to watch and decide whether it is what we want.
-SG-
hocus2004

Post by hocus2004 »

"The rest of us have to watch and decide whether it is what we want."

I'm going to provide you one of my famous penetrating insights free of charge to help you figure that one out, SalaryGuru.

There is an extensive record in the Post Archives showing that posters who employ the word "troll" for purely tactical purposes are by the act of doing so pouring poision into the water supply of the FIRE/Passion Saving/Retire Early posting communities. Anyone who continues playing these sorts of games at this point, acting with full knowledge of the great damage they have done to the various communities over the course of the past 25 months, stands a good chance of seeing his or her block getting knocked off.

Think thorugh the implications carefully, old buddy.

Please start working through in your mind the various possibilities today.

You know the watch word of this new phase of the Great SWR Debate, do you not? It's "normalization."

Make a move to the normal side of the spectrum of posting options, SalaryGuru. Push yourself to see how far you can move and how fast. I would like to see you stay with us for the long term.
ataloss
**** Heavy Hitter

Post by ataloss »

IIRC, salaryguru pretty much exposed the hoco-logic over at the dory 36 boards:

The really funny thing was that there was this fellow SalaryGuru who tore all of the hoco-logic into tiny little bits. And hocus didn't have the excuse of claiming that there was disruption or deception or ridicule or personal attack on the thread. Dory36 made it clear early on that he wasn't going to stand for any of that stuff when he deleted one post that clearly went over the line. So even hocus had no choice in the end but to walk away like a dog with a tail between his legs. I got another good laugh out of that one!

posted by mebeaned one of hocuses aliases over at tmf

http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid= ... 49269&pt=r
Have fun.

Ataloss