how men think

Financial Independence/Retire Early -- Learn How!
wanderer
*** Veteran

how men think

Post by wanderer »

I am still very competetive, but I would say I feel much less of a need to 'prove myself' after kids.

Both my kids 'love' money but, right now, little man is fascinated with it. I found three coins in the bed this morning (a quarter, 5 fils [about US$.01, and a nickel]. Perhaps they were from my wife.

The science part
Such are the advances in technology and understanding that PET radioactive-imaging and MRI magnetic-imaging scans can now show whether a man and a woman are truly in love by measuring the amount of activity in the cingulate gyrus, an emotion center in the brain, Gurian says.

Like a guide through a secret forest, his book leads the nonscientist through the complex world of brain science and relates it to some of the most frustrating sources of conflict between men and women in long-term relationships.

The male brain secretes less of the powerful primary bonding chemical oxytocin and less of the calming chemical serotonin than the female brain.

So while women find emotional conversations a good way to chill out at the end of the day, the tired male brain needs to zone out all that touchy-feely chatter in order to relax -- which is why he wants the remote control to zap through "mindless" sport or action movies.

His brain takes in less sensory detail than a woman's, so he doesn't see or even feel the dust and household mess in the same way. Anyhow, the male brain attaches less personal identity to the inside of a home and more to the workplace or the yard -- which is why he doesn't get worked up about housework.

Male hormones such as testosterone and vasopressin set the male brain up to seek competitive, hierarchical groups in its constant quest to prove self-worth and identity. That is why men, paradoxically (from a hormonally altered new mother's point of view), become even more workaholic once they have kids, to whom they must also prove their worth.

http://edition.cnn.com/2003/HEALTH/10/0 ... index.html
regards,

wanderer

The field has eyes / the wood has ears / I will see / be silent and hear
peteyperson
**** Heavy Hitter

Re: how men think

Post by peteyperson »

Facinating reading on a gloomy Saturday morning!

Petey
wanderer wrote: I am still very competetive, but I would say I feel much less of a need to 'prove myself' after kids.

Both my kids 'love' money but, right now, little man is fascinated with it. I found three coins in the bed this morning (a quarter, 5 fils [about US$.01, and a nickel]. Perhaps they were from my wife.

The science part
Such are the advances in technology and understanding that PET radioactive-imaging and MRI magnetic-imaging scans can now show whether a man and a woman are truly in love by measuring the amount of activity in the cingulate gyrus, an emotion center in the brain, Gurian says.

Like a guide through a secret forest, his book leads the nonscientist through the complex world of brain science and relates it to some of the most frustrating sources of conflict between men and women in long-term relationships.

The male brain secretes less of the powerful primary bonding chemical oxytocin and less of the calming chemical serotonin than the female brain.

So while women find emotional conversations a good way to chill out at the end of the day, the tired male brain needs to zone out all that touchy-feely chatter in order to relax -- which is why he wants the remote control to zap through "mindless" sport or action movies.

His brain takes in less sensory detail than a woman's, so he doesn't see or even feel the dust and household mess in the same way. Anyhow, the male brain attaches less personal identity to the inside of a home and more to the workplace or the yard -- which is why he doesn't get worked up about housework.

Male hormones such as testosterone and vasopressin set the male brain up to seek competitive, hierarchical groups in its constant quest to prove self-worth and identity. That is why men, paradoxically (from a hormonally altered new mother's point of view), become even more workaholic once they have kids, to whom they must also prove their worth.

http://edition.cnn.com/2003/HEALTH/10/0 ... index.html
ataloss
**** Heavy Hitter

Post by ataloss »

"I beg people to go back to nature, look at the PET scans

I am glad that we have the technology to "get back to nature" but it is expensive ($3000 + locally retail from what I hear)
Have fun.

Ataloss