Expert Agrees to Discuss SWRs on NFB Board!

Financial Independence/Retire Early -- Learn How!
peteyperson
**** Heavy Hitter

Post by peteyperson »

Mr Hocus,

It would be more helpful in this international forum if you had confirmed the times relative to GMT. That way us "foreigners" would have a clue what time you're talking about!!

Petey
hocus wrote: Ed Easterling is able to meet with us from 9:00 to 11:00 am on Wednesday, August 6. Does anyone have any objections to that time and date?

If I don't hear any objections by the close of business tomorrow, I will be sending him an e-mail locking in the time and day. After we lock in the time and day, I will put up a post with additional information on the focus of the special event discussion.
hocus

Post by hocus »

It would be more helpful in this international forum if you had confirmed the times relative to GMT. That way us "foreigners" would have a clue what time you're talking about!!

Good point, Petey.

I was talking Eastern Standard time.
hocus

Post by hocus »

May I suggest that his reply be posted some time prior to the actual event (say, at least an hour, maybe more), otherwise the first half of the time may be consumed by NFB'ers digesting the responses

Thank you for that suggestion.

There have been a few changes in format from what I proposed in my initial post. I believe that the format we decided on is in line with what you suggest above.

Easterling is not an expert on SWRs per se. He is an expert on long-term stock returns, an issue which intersects with the SWR issue. I have told him that we will not ask him to express a viewpoint on the validity question or anything like that. It is not fair to ask him to comment on those sorts of questions because he is not sufficienty familiar with the details of the various studies to be able to do so at this time. In the event that he elects on his own initiative to offer such viewpoints, he is of course free to do so.

He has considerable interest in the SWR concept, however. He has some questions about how the studies are done. I answered those that I felt comfortable answering, and I suggested that he might want to pose some of his questions to other board members during the event discussion. I would like to see this turn out to be a two-way street where we benefit from learning stuff that he knows and he benefits from learning stuff we know .

The point here is--under the way this has been set up, he is permitted to ask questions as well as to answer them. Parts of this may turn out sounding like an interview. Parts may turn out sounding more like a conversation.

My original thought is that we would kick it off by asking him a question or two. What we have decided on instead is to have him present some commentary on the subject of "Patterns in Long-Term Stock Returns." It's not a full article, just a few parapraphs. The comments are rooted in analysis of data and he has several PDF charts illustrating the points made in the commentary.

This material will be posted at least a day prior to the event discussion, if not sooner. The starting point for the discussion will be questions that NFB community members have re the Easterling commentary. Once the discussion gets underway, it will go where it goes.

ES has told me that he has plans to put up a post prior to the event addressing some process questions.