Is Hocus FIREd?

Financial Independence/Retire Early -- Learn How!
beachbumz
** Regular

Post by beachbumz »

ben wrote: Hocus; you might have had a new diciple in Beachbumz - he seemed very open to your plan (as am I) but seems you managed to turn yet another potential diciple to the dark side.....

One thing I am confused about here. Would (is) Intercst be Darth Vader or the evil Emperor? :?

Beachbumz :twisted:
"The force is stong in you Beachbumz..."
Last edited by beachbumz on Tue Mar 08, 2005 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Life is Good.
ElSupremo
Admin Board Member

Post by ElSupremo »

Greetings Beachbumz :)

I just thought I'd let you know we now have a gambling board. :lol::wink:
"The best things in life are FREE!"

www.nofeeboards.com
beachbumz
** Regular

Post by beachbumz »

hocus2004 wrote: What have you done Hocus to turn people to the dark side?

People are scared of him, Ben. So they don't talk back to him. People are not scared of me. So they do talk back to me. I would rather see people talking back to me than see signs that people are scared of me. .

This may be a revelation, but I don't think 'People' are scared of either one of you.
I have 20 projects that I need to be working on, Ben. If others will stop bringing up this matter, you won't see me coming forward with too many thread-starters trying to get it going again.

So, you are saying that if everyone else stops bringing up this matter (whatever it is), that you will SLOW DOWN on bringing up this matter? :cry:

Beachbumz 8)
Life is Good.
beachbumz
** Regular

Post by beachbumz »

ben wrote:

A better way to change things would be if you focus on the things you do well; freedom/saving Etc. and leave the Intercst issue alone. I know you can't :wink :so just consider it my 2 cents worth. :D

I'll second that one! I couldn't have said it better myself.

Beachbumz 8)
Life is Good.
beachbumz
** Regular

Post by beachbumz »

ElSupremo wrote: Greetings Beachbumz :)

I just thought I'd let you know we now have a gambling board. :lol::wink:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
Life is Good.
hocus2004

Post by hocus2004 »

So, you are saying that if everyone else stops bringing up this matter (whatever it is), that you will SLOW DOWN on bringing up this matter?

It's a rare event for me to bring it up. Almost all of my posts on the intercst matter are responses to defenses of intercst put up by other posters.

The only place at which I occasionally bring up the intercst matter is at the SWR board. Part of my reason for setting up that board was to establish a record on this stuff that people will be able to make use of at a later time. So I expect that I will continue to post on the intercst matter there, regardless of what others do.

It's hard for me to imagine that I would post on the intercst matter at the Town Center board or the FIRE board or the Early Retirement Forum if others didn't initiate the discussion by putting forward some sort of defense of intercst or his SWR claims. I want the time that we spend on this to be greatly reduced. It's bad for me because it takes me away from other things. And it's bad for the community because it causes discord.

If there is some sort of feeling out there that it would be a good idea that we spend less time on this, please count me in with that group. I vote strongly that we spend less time on it.

As noted above, my only exception is that there are some things that I need to post re the intercst matter at the SWR board. Even there, however, I would like to see the focus be on the substance side of things. The intercst matter is important business. But it is certainly not the only matter of important business before us. We have spent far too much time on it for a long time now. That's true at a number of boards.
hocus2004

Post by hocus2004 »

Just a short postcript to that last one. I do not view substantive SWR posts to be intercst-matter posts. I CAN imagine putting forward substantive SWR posts that are not responses to posts put forward by others.
PainInTheAS
* Rookie

Post by PainInTheAS »

Aristotle wrote: The Gods too are fond of a joke.

hocus2004 wrote: My name should not be in the title of a thread that examines a plan that I do not endorse.

hocus2004,

Perhaps if you submit a request with valid reasons beachbumz will consider your request.

OTOH, he may just say "no" firmly and move to the next topic.

Good to see you have a sense of humor, though.

:lol:

PITA
JWR1945
***** Legend

Post by JWR1945 »

Beachbumz began his thread starter with these words:
I posted this over at Intercst's board in response to a post Intercst put up about Hocus' retirement in the section titled "Land of the Busted Retirements". I'm sure I will catch some grief over it over there (maybe here to ), but after all the talk about it, I was curious and wanted to run the numbers for myself and this is what I concluded:

I apologize for not focusing on this. I got too interested in your numbers.

Intercst has lied and continues to lie routinely and repeatedly about Hocus's investment decisions and the advice that he gives to others.

Because of this, intercst has zero credibility as an engineer. He routinely distorts all facts to force-fit them into false conclusions.

Have no sympathy for intercst in this matter. He has had the truth pointed out to him repeatedly, often referencing his own work. In spite of that, he presents the same lies later as if nothing had ever happened.

It is not surprising that you would reach conclusions different from what intercst asserts. After all, you are searching for the truth.

That's a good quality, beachbumz. Thank you.

Have fun.

John R.
arrete
* Rookie

Post by arrete »

All this hoopla is entertaining. I love revisionist writings (not).
You crack me up with these comments, Hocus. At least it's good for a laugh.

You have arrived at the hocus-zen, beachbumz Now you know all. :)
Perhaps if you submit a request with valid reasons beachbumz will consider your request.

OTOH, he may just say "no" firmly and move to the next topic.

PITA, I was drinking some medicinal wine when I read that. You should issue warnings.

arrete - just finished cleaning up after throwing a fully-loaded paint roller across the kitchen. Don't ask.
JWR1945
***** Legend

Post by JWR1945 »

beachbumz
Intercst believes your plan is 'half-assed', he has a right to his opinion. My motivation was to show that your plan was not as 'half-assed' as maybe he thinks. This is my opinion, I have a right to it.

IMHO, intercst does not believe what he says. He has been careful not to search for the truth.

IMHO, his opinion has been in favor of a high stock allocation regardless of individual circumstances and regardless of market realities.

Have fun.

John R.
JWR1945
***** Legend

Post by JWR1945 »

ben
People are not scared of me

Well recent posts at fool.com seems to indicate that people fear that you might snap and become violent! I do not think anybody fear that from Intercst :lol:?

The opposite is true. They know that intercst will go into an attack mode instantaneously.

Whatever you may have read about hocus's becoming violent, etc., is just part of intercst's smear campaign.

If people had expressed concern that hocus might write some long posts, it would have been a different story. But any expression of fear or violence coming from hocus is entirely unfounded.

Have fun.

John R.
PainInTheAS
* Rookie

Post by PainInTheAS »

Andrew Lang wrote: He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts--for support rather than illumination.

JWR1945 wrote: Because of this, intercst has zero credibility as an engineer. He routinely distorts all facts to force-fit them into false conclusions.

You mean, like throwing out a third of his data series so he can get a better regression fit?

Sigh. Yeah, I hate when people do that.

PITA
arrete
* Rookie

Post by arrete »

I'm going to be serious here for a minute.
They know that intercst will go into an attack mode instantaneously.

Wrong. He is quick verbally. But mostly in smartass mode. Nobody, except hocus who can't take a joke, would think intercst might be violent physically. He just doesn't care enough.
Whatever you may have read about hocus's becoming violent, etc., is just part of intercst's smear campaign.

No, it is not. It has been mentioned by at least 2 people from different boards. They are not part of some intercst alliance. In fact, one of them spends most of his time on dory36's board. Their main concern has been me among others. intercst was also mentioned as a possible target (and ataloss - didn't forget you, buddy).

Frankly, I am somewhat concerned. hocus has said things about me I would never say about anyone. Very nasty things. He does sound ready to break.

arrete
hocus2004

Post by hocus2004 »

Nobody, except hocus who can't take a joke, would think intercst might be violent physically.

I have seen a lot of jokes on discussion boards that did not involve threats of physical violence against other posters. Intercst supporters put forward threats of physical violence not because they find them funny, but because they are trying to defend a position that cannot be defended with reasoned argument.

I personally do not believe that the posters who put forward threats of physical violence are likely to act on such threats. That doesn't mean that those threats did not do the board great harm. There were a large number of solid on-topic posters who left the Motley Fool board community in the days after the threats were posted.
hocus2004

Post by hocus2004 »

I am somewhat concerned. hocus has said things about me I would never say about anyone. Very nasty things

I have described you as an intercst attack dog, Arrete. That's a claim that can be verified by any community member who checks on your posting record at the Motley Fool board. If you don't want to be known as an intercst attack dog, stop posting as one.

You are participating in the discussions at the board associated with RetireEarlyHomePage.com. In a recent post, I identified two deceptions that intercst puts forward frequently: (1) that a the SWR for 30-year TIPS paying a 3.5 percent real return is 2.3 percent; and (2) that Bernstein did not say in his book "The Four Pillars of Investing that the intercst SWR methodology is "highly misleading" and that intercst got the number wrong by 2 percentage points at the top of the recent bubble.

Do you think it is right for intercst to regularly put forward these two deceptive claims, Arrete? If you do not think it is right, why do you not object when he does so? Why don't you speak up in support of me when I point out these deceptions?
hocus2004

Post by hocus2004 »

He just doesn't care enough.

This is a statement by Arrete re intercst. I think she is hitting the target with this one. There are a number of comments by intercst in the early days in which he said that he didn't care how many people asked for an end to the nonsense, he was a multi-millionaire retiree and he just didn't care what happened to the board.

Intercst's attitude is that we can all go f ourselves if we don't like the poison he contnually purs into the water supply. I object to this. He has a responsbility as board moderator and should exercise it for the community's benefit, not his own.

I want someone leading that board who does care.
arrete
* Rookie

Post by arrete »

This is the perfect example of hocus twisting words.

I say
Nobody, except hocus who can't take a joke, would think intercst might be violent physically. He just doesn't care enough.

See? hocus managed to leave out some vital words. Then he does his usual anti-intercst blabber.

I can only say that hocus is being deceptive. As usual.

arrete
hocus2004

Post by hocus2004 »

I don't get your point, Arrete.

You are saying that you don't think he will be violent, and I am saying that I don't think he will be violent. You are saying that you don't think he cares all that much, and I am saying that I don't think he cares all that much.

This is a big part of the problem. He has lost interest in the subject of early retirement.

He wants to talk about politics and other stuff. There is a group that likes having discussions with him about all sorts of other stuff.

Why doesn't he just set up a new board for all that other stuff? If he sets up a board that doesn't have the words "Retire Early" in the title, the problem is solved. Then the people interested in early retirement get their board back, and the people at the new board don't have to worry about people asking annoying questions about why there is so little on-topic discussion. Everyone is happy.

I think this is a sound practical solution to the problem. Motley Fool would obviously set up a new board in five minutes. The only problem is his pride. If you all did a thing where you made it look like it was his idea, you could get past that. You could say that you were setting up the new board to show that old hocus who is really boss. It's no crazier that lots of other things you say over there.

Why not? What's the downside?
arrete
* Rookie

Post by arrete »

What's the downside?

Your reading comprehension, apparently.

arrete