Hocus not allowed to post here?

Financial Independence/Retire Early -- Learn How!
ben
*** Veteran

Hocus not allowed to post here?

Post by ben »

Read this at fool.com:
hocus has been banned from participation at the NFB site (NoFeeBoards.com) because of board reaction to his postings re the SWR matter! El Supremo, site owner, informed hocus of this action in an e-mail sent late Thursday afternoon.

El Supremo did not charge hocus with any violations of site rules. He instead cited pressure brought to bear on him from NFB site community members. Several board members stopped participating in board discussions after ES put up several posts a week ago saying that he would begin enforcing the site rules in an even-handed manner.

hocus has informed El Supremo that he will address the role played by the NFB board community and by ES himself in blocking reasoned discussion of the realities of SWRs in writings he will put to his future web site, tentatively scheduled to go up in May 2004. hocus has asked JWR1945 to join him in working on the various initiatives he has planned for next year re the Great SWR Debate and to disassociate himself from the NFB site. JWR1945 has not announced his plans.

The fool.com discussion then goes on to discuss whether/conclude that the writer of the above is Hocus (using other name).
Normal; to put on clothes bought for work, go to work in car bought to get to work needed to pay for the clothes, the car and the home left empty all day in order to afford to live in it...
raddr
*** Veteran

Post by raddr »

Hi Ben,

Yes, hocus has been banned here at NFB. I don't think that there is any doubt that "Sam Cooke" is hocus. :lol:
ElSupremo
Admin Board Member

Post by ElSupremo »

Greetings Ben :)

Well, at least the part about him not being allowed to post here is true. :roll:
"The best things in life are FREE!"

www.nofeeboards.com
ataloss
**** Heavy Hitter

Post by ataloss »

Sort of interesting that hocus himself brought this up.
Have fun.

Ataloss
wanderer
*** Veteran

Post by wanderer »

Sort of interesting that hocus himself brought this up

It's happened before.

http://www.nofeeboards.com/boards/viewt ... 6523#p6523
regards,

wanderer

The field has eyes / the wood has ears / I will see / be silent and hear
raddr
*** Veteran

Post by raddr »

wanderer wrote: Sort of interesting that hocus himself brought this up

It's happened before.

http://www.nofeeboards.com/boards/viewt ... 6523#p6523

LOL! I'd forgotten about this one. :lol:

Gotta love this part:
The potential problem is that I continue to believe that the community of people with an interest in early retirement would benefit greatly from having the ability to put up informed and honest posts at the Motley Fool board. My chances for taking over that board have been greatly diminished

Yes, I would say that being kicked off of a board would somewhat diminish one's chances of taking it over. I wonder if a similar coup d'etat is being planned for the NFB? Has "Sam" shown up here yet? LOL :!::lol:
peteyperson
**** Heavy Hitter

Post by peteyperson »

ES,

Sorry, feel like I've been away 3 months here..

How did something suddenly come to a head with hocus? Wasn't the distruption he was causing done some weeks ago now or was it more recent that that?

Petey
ElSupremo wrote: Greetings Ben :)

Well, at least the part about him not being allowed to post here is true. :roll:
ElSupremo
Admin Board Member

Post by ElSupremo »

Greetings peteyperson :)

So where have you been? :wink: I have no further comment on this matter. I consider it closed.
"The best things in life are FREE!"

www.nofeeboards.com
ataloss
**** Heavy Hitter

Post by ataloss »

I have no further comment on this matter

hocus who?
Have fun.

Ataloss
MaiPenRai
* Rookie

Post by MaiPenRai »

I never participated in the post wars surrounding hocus and others, nor have I really taken the time to read enough of them to decide who's right or wrong or whether it was past that being the point.

I will say that I suspect the storage requirements of ElSupremo's server just went down by a lot.
ataloss
**** Heavy Hitter

ira infor (more than I need)

Post by ataloss »

Have fun.

Ataloss
ben
*** Veteran

Post by ben »

raddr:
Yes, I would say that being kicked off of a board would somewhat diminish one's chances of taking it over. I wonder if a similar coup d'etat is being planned for the NFB? Has "Sam" shown up here yet? LOL

TWO boards raddr, two boards...

Anyway; I understand that he did make some people upset, on the other hand he, together w. JWR, was sometimes an interesting read (for those long and lonely nights.. :wink:) on the SWR research board (after I finished reading the FIRE/Index boards of course :wink:) - and people getting upset w. Hocus style could then just not go there. Meanwhile it is ES board so he makes the decisions. Also I guess not technically possible to ban only from the FIRE-board.

On a seperate note Hocus older posts from the fool.com was really good stuff (non-SWR related!).
Normal; to put on clothes bought for work, go to work in car bought to get to work needed to pay for the clothes, the car and the home left empty all day in order to afford to live in it...
wanderer
*** Veteran

Post by wanderer »

On a seperate note Hocus older posts from the fool.com was really good stuff (non-SWR related!).

Careful, SamCooke may interpret that as a slight of the earth-shaking findings he and JWR are unearthing as they plumb the descending colon of SWRs. :wink:
regards,

wanderer

The field has eyes / the wood has ears / I will see / be silent and hear
peteyperson
**** Heavy Hitter

Post by peteyperson »

Okay, well I'm still lost.

Can someone point me to a thread where something happened? I'm unclear why this didn't happen weeks ago and why it suddenly happened now when the boards had seen little hocus activity.

Petey
ElSupremo wrote: Greetings peteyperson :)

So where have you been? :wink: I have no further comment on this matter. I consider it closed.
BenSolar
*** Veteran

Post by BenSolar »

peteyperson wrote: Okay, well I'm still lost.

Can someone point me to a thread where something happened? I'm unclear why this didn't happen weeks ago and why it suddenly happened now when the boards had seen little hocus activity.

I think action may have been taken as a result of the previous uproar, not anything new.
"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; remember that what you now have was once among the things only hoped for." - Epicurus
WiseNLucky
** Regular

Post by WiseNLucky »

I'm beginning to think it DID happen some time back. That's why it's been so quiet lately.

There was no general announcement on this board when it did happen -- at least that I can find. I even sent a private message to JWR asking why he was now the board general at SWR board. Then the SamCooke post on another forum explained things.

I think ES handled a very difficult problem with as much dignity and fairness as possible. I commend him for it.
WiseNLucky

I just wish everyone could step back and get less car and less house then they want, and realize they don't NEED more. -- NeuroFool
ataloss
**** Heavy Hitter

Post by ataloss »

I think ES has taken his action and is attempting to let the matter drop. He has (nicely) not made a big issue out of the matter unlike you know who- who is posting on another board about how he was treated unfairly here.
Have fun.

Ataloss