Appeal for calm. Nothing to read here people. Stay calm!

Financial Independence/Retire Early -- Learn How!
wanderer
*** Veteran

Post by wanderer »

bensolar -

i missed that about all of us engaging in what should be prohibited posting practices. maybe me (:wink:) but that definitely isn't your style.

hocus has his very own board. he can delete posts (and alter authorship) as he sees fit but participants can't. ataloss just pointed out how i took it as my lonely task to remind foks of hocus' seminal contributions. he butts in on perfectly benign conversations. he commits the non-sequitir of complaining about intercst hijacking threads but assures us that he is not doing the same. isn't there anything that he is doing that should be prohibited?
regards,

wanderer

The field has eyes / the wood has ears / I will see / be silent and hear
therealchips
*** Veteran

I NEED more than two paragraphs.

Post by therealchips »

Petey, I have found a wonderful advantage of these insane posts (my simple rule is to ignore anything over 2 paragraphs. These posts are usually just arguing about junk).

doggone it, Caseynshan, how can I explain my beautiful mathematical theories, describe a spread sheet for retirement planning, or present my twenty-place tables of output values in no more than two paragraphs? huh? how?
<grumble> <grumble> :lol:

Seriously, these forums are organized so that everyone has great freedom to say what he wants and perfect freedom to read or not read what he wants. I wouldn't have it any other way. I am a particular student of order achieved without central direction. One prime example is the English language, where no one is obliged to comply with teachers' rules after school days, but we still manage to understand each other (usually). Another prime example is biological evolution which produces its marvels without intelligent guidance. I'm big on economic development without central direction, too. In these forums, people learn which posters they enjoy reading and which they would rather ignore. It works perfectly, without anyone imposing his will on anyone else. It would continue to work without coaxing, preaching, or bluster, too.

uh oh, that's two paragraphs, but look at what a range of subjects I managed to cram into them . . . :lol:
He who has lived obscurely and quietly has lived well. [Latin: Bene qui latuit, bene vixit.]

Chips
peteyperson
**** Heavy Hitter

Post by peteyperson »

Hey casey,

Well sadly my posts can sometimes be more than 3 paragraphs as a flesh out my thinking. I'm aware I write long and some people skip my posts because of that. I do however tend to skip hocus's posts when they are longer than 2 paragraphs as there goes another 2 minutes of life to no avail. I agree with ataloss and others, he's become an annoying troll rather than a useful contributor.

Petey
caseynshan wrote: Petey, I have found a wonderful advantage of these insane posts (my simple rule is to ignore anything over 2 paragraphs. These posts are usually just arguing about junk).

they allow me to spend more time at work working. Hopefully I will become more knowledgeable in my field and make significantly more money. Thanks for FIRE help folks.

Although I really do enjoy reading and learning about FIRE.... Maybe next week....

Casey (whoops, this is a three paragraph post)
caseynshan
* Rookie

Post by caseynshan »

peteyperson wrote: Hey casey,

Well sadly my posts can sometimes be more than 3 paragraphs as a flesh out my thinking.

I was being a little sarcastic, :wink: I do read the longer ones sometimes, if there is something interesting in the first paragraph.... The reason I am so picky is probably because it takes me three readings to follow some of the complex ideas sometimes....
peteyperson
**** Heavy Hitter

Post by peteyperson »

I had to read Bogle's Common Sense and Bernstein's Four Pillars to understand where a lot of the thinking was going. Reading Gillette Edmund's first book now adds more contrasting thinking too. I recommend them to help explain a lot. I don't think you'll get the same just from reading the boards, the thinking is too advanced based on those reading materials. Gillette's book is actually an easy read and though I owned it first, I read it last. It would have been better to have read it before or after Bogle and leave the more complex Bernstein book till last. Bernstein would have been a much easier read that way and it was a smoother way into the subject matter.

If you're interested in the subject matter and haven't read them, I would recommend Retire Early and Live Well by Gillette Edmunds.

Petey
caseynshan wrote:
peteyperson wrote: Hey casey,

Well sadly my posts can sometimes be more than 3 paragraphs as a flesh out my thinking.

I was being a little sarcastic, :wink: I do read the longer ones sometimes, if there is something interesting in the first paragraph.... The reason I am so picky is probably because it takes me three readings to follow some of the complex ideas sometimes....
caseynshan
* Rookie

Post by caseynshan »

peteyperson wrote: I had to read Bogle's Common Sense and Bernstein's Four Pillars to understand where a lot of the thinking was going.

Thanks, I read Bogle's a while back, just finished Four Pillars and also found Malkiels Random Walk really helpful at keeping up.

But now I have to get back to C# Unleashed and ASP.NET Programming to hopefully help the income parts of the equations....

Casey